PSP Your favorite PSP games?

Kyyo

New Challenger
Writers Guild
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the portable. On my favorites list there must be Kingdom Hearts Birth Of Sleep. Danganronpa and Persona series are also essential. I still need to play the most popular games like Jeanne D'Arc and the Ys franchise (I tried playing some games from the franchise but I wasn't engaged by it). In your opinion, which games peaked during the PSP era?

It's probably my favorite handheld ever, it had a bunch of great games. It would be really hard for me to pick a fvarorite game, so let me list a few of my favorites.
  • Gurumin: A really solid 3D platformer, its controls have a lot of weight to them and they feel responsive, there's a decent challenge to be found here and a cute story to go along with it. There's one infamously difficult boss however. Really wish Falcom would revisit this.
  • Burnout Legends: A bite-sized sneak peek into the best that the Burnout series had to offer, visually it's pretty stellar for its time and it boasted a decent amount of content as well. I really wish it had gotten a proper sequel instead of whatever Dominator was supposed to be with its awful handling system.
  • Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker: It had an absolutely atrocious story but the format in which its missions were presented and the level of polish they featured as well as its overall "console" quality really made me like this one, even if it ran at like 15FPS.
  • Class of Heroes: It was a pretty serviceable dungeon crawler with a fantasy school setting and a story that I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about but I liked the Wizardry style party system and its art style, I believe there might be better ones on the system, some of them not released outside of Japan though.
  • Black Rock Shooter: Incredibly stylish on-rails shooter which suffers from being way too short
  • Corpse Party: This is in my opinion, the absolutely best iteration of this classic horror game, accompanied with what might be one of the best soundtracks in the system. Really give this one a go.
  • Prinny (both of them): I love this Disgaea spinoff, its absolutely ruthless, punishing and quite long too. It will make you rage like few other titles can, but beating it is one of the most rewarding things imaginable.

Black Rock Shooter: Incredibly stylish on-rails shooter which suffers from being way too short
I have mixed feelings about this one. I love the anime-stylized aesthetics and the post-apocalyptical scenario, but I really didn't enjoyed the gameplay very much. However, good game!

Prinny (both of them): I love this Disgaea spinoff, its absolutely ruthless, punishing and quite long too. It will make you rage like few other titles can, but beating it is one of the most rewarding things imaginable.
Fr!! Disgaea is one of the best JRPGs for the PSP. I still haven't played Prinny tho. It seems to be a very fun game.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I love the anime-stylized aesthetics and the post-apocalyptical scenario, but I really didn't enjoyed the gameplay very much. However, good game!
I will admit its been well over a decade since I last played it so my memories might be a bit fuzzy to say the least, I don't want to imagine that a replay might change my mind...
Fr!! Disgaea is one of the best JRPGs for the PSP. I still haven't played Prinny tho. It seems to be a very fun game.
It absolutely is great, Disgaea's gameplay loop is perfectly suited for short bursts of gaming using a handheld.

I liked Crash Tag Team Racing, (even though I played it on the GameCube before), K-On! After School Live!!, Gurumin, Undead Warriors, Boku no Natsuyasumi 4, (it needs an English translation for real), Magical Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Battle of Aces and Twisted Metal: Head-On.

I loved Little Big Planet, Some Rythm Games like Rock Band Unplugged and K-on afterschool live. Also Racing games too like burnout legends!

God of War series on PSP hits different, despite having a quite confusing puzzle in Chains of Olympus, I still love this one and the Ghost of Sparta
And that's just hack and slash, platforming though? That's gotta be Daxter
I don't know why and how but a game about smashing bugs is way more fun than I thought
I love the PSP

Games Winning GIF by Hollyoaks

Like many of you, I also grew up with the PSP – I got one on my tenth birthday, bless! – and have immense nostalgia for the console. It's easily my favourite handheld and, like the PS1 before it, I really think that a lack of experience in portable gaming helped developers turn out some really creative, unique titles. As I said in the retro gaming magazine thread, I had the Official Playstation Magazine's guide to PSP games, which informed a ton of my purchases and, as such, taste in video gaming going forward. Here are my top picks:

6113509-patapon-2-psp-front-cover.jpg
First off, if you've never played the series before, Patapon 2 is an essential PSP title (it's in HD on PS4, too) and probably one of the best handheld games ever made. It's a crazy mix of rhythm game and strategy RPG, all wrapped up in a gorgeous cartoony artstyle with plenty of tongue-in-cheek humour and adorable music. You can absolutely play it without playing the first game, and rest assured – it's the best entry in the series by far, loaded with different unit classes, incredibly fun boss battles, customizable player characters, and hilarious minigames.

The Patapon games were forgotten for a long time by the internet, but they've recently seen a surge in interest because a spiritual successor is coming out. I think that game looks pretty dreadful, and after Patapon 3, I'm not particularly confident in the dev team, so I'd say just stick with this one.

d572da94-7801-4d98-bfd6-d7686d295a9f.jpg
WTF: Work Time Fun is insane. It's a mini-game collection where you play as a temp worker living in Hell and taking jobs from disgusting demon bosses. By completing those minigames – which include counting safari animals alongside a multicultural survey group, guessing the phone numbers of mid-20s women at mixer clubs, and exorcising ghosts from real-world photographs – you earn money that can be spent on gachapon machines, unlocking new games, little toys, and extremely weird utilities.

The game has a wide variety of art styles for each minigame and an outrageous, hilarious sense of black humour, keeping you engaged just to see what could possibly happen next. This is the only video game that's ever sent me into a minutes-long laughing fit, and I think it's just the tops.

Queen%27s_Blade_Spiral_Chaos_Box_Art.png

Queen's Blade was a popular fantasy/ecchi anime series in the mid-2000s, and I was a huge fan of it, so when I discovered Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos, my twelve-year-old self's head just about exploded. It's an extremely well-put-together strategy RPG built on the Super Robot Wars engine, where you play as several characters from the show in an original storyline. Every character has their own unique, fully-animated moveset and special abilities, and they're all voiced by their actual VAs, so the game feels "real" in a way that most anime spin-offs don't. There are tons of original anime cutscenes and vocal songs, too!

Where most anime games slap stock images of their characters on a generic engine, Spiral Chaos had a ton of effort put into it – especially for a series that's ostensibly just perv material. The Queen's Blade franchise is a wonderfully-detailed brand, and this game lives up to that standard (and then some).

A1ZmcWMxtHL.jpg
Who, dare I ask, is the man in the suit? Why, it's Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law! I watched through this whole show last year, and I thought it was hilarious. Imagine my surprise when I learned that there's a fully-animated PSP game for it built on the effing Ace Attorney engine? Yes, really – this game is exactly like Phoenix Wright, except you're defending (or prosecuting) Hanna-Barbera characters in superhero court.

The game looks just like the show, and most of the voice actors return, so it's essentially just five more episodes of the series that you get to play through. You do need to have seen the TV series to pick up on a lot of the jokes, but if you have, this game makes an excellent way to finish off a very funny golden-age Adult Swim cartoon. (It's a lot better than the Birdgirl show, that's for sure!!!!!!!!!)

344323bf-6e94-42e6-b481-57343807a768.png
Patchwork Heroes has been completely buried by time, which is sad, so it's worth a highlight here. It's a mix of Qix (the old arcade game where you draw lines across the screen to capture areas of the game field) and a bullet hell game. You play as a grizzled soldier who tears airships apart mid-flight, dodging attacks and gathering power-ups along the way. It has a very unique art-style reminiscent of Professor Layton, and it's very fun if you like Qix or any of its clones.

At the time, this game was promoted quite a bit on PSN as the standout title from Playstation C.A.M.P., which was an incubation project run by Japan Studio that helped university students get into video game development. As a first game made by a bunch of kids in their late teens/early 20s, it's excellent. Now that Japan Studio is dead and gone, I'd definitely say this is worth a pity play.

Holy_Invasion_Of_Privacy%2C_Badman%21_What_Did_I_Do_To_Deserve_This_Cover.jpg
Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!, also known as What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord? is a genius little puzzle game where you carve out an underground RPG dungeon on a grid. The dungeon is a living, breathing, ecosystem, so you need to grow and evolve monsters by building areas for them to live and breed and establishing a workable food chain. After a few minutes, a hero enters the dungeon, and you get to see how your ecosystem gradually wears them down, eventually defeating them and bringing you to the next level. It's like Dragon Quest crossed with an ant farm.

I love this game's humor – the final boss (who you're trying to defend) is extremely funny and sarcastic, and the game is loaded with cheeky jabs at JRPG tropes (way before every indie game did that). It's also the game which mocked people who say "animes" and "mangas", which is hilarious (and depressing) today.

And there you go! Unless I'm forgetting anything, these are my fave PSP games, and most of them are exclusive. The PSP really had a lot of very unique, memorable titles, and it's such a shame that the industry has moved so far away from making games like these. Sony may not have understood handheld gaming, but a lot of their developers did, and I personally think that they left us with a ton of gems.

@Gorse Honestly just add a couple more and post it as a top-10 article if you want we can consider this your application to the Writer's guild. If you want!

The PSP is filled with classics and is up there as one of my favorite handhelds.
You had every type of game on there so everyone had a favorite and it's hard just even picking a few to name without having to type a million words.
One game that I spent countless hours on is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite.
not only was it monster hunter on the go but the multiplayer was amazing as long as you had people around you to play with.
What added even more hours of fun was downloading Adhoc party on the ps3 and playing this online with people through wifi.
If you haven't given it a go I totally recommend everyone try it .

socom games
gurumin
the 3rd birthday
gangs of London
gta games
wipeout
dead head Fred
ratchet and clank and secret agent clank
metal gear peace walker

Grand_Knights_History_Cover.png
J7Add.png

grandknightshistory_510_12.jpg

I was playing Grand Knights History on my PSP a few months ago. It has that awesome art direction from vanillaware and the soundtrack is soooooo good... i loved the battle system too, pretty unique to me, with a little bit of tabletop/strategy mechanics and a story that really feels like a tabletop/book RPG adventure. It is hard, though, cuz when you die you go back to your last save and need to redo a lot of missions of your campaign... so i stopped playing on the psp at least, and someday i'll continue on the emulator so i can use save states to avoid that. (jesus christ this battle theme)

Aaaaaand......... the funniest shit i've played in my life:

6385-shadow-of-memories.jpg
1728751919520-png.1134

I know it's a port from a PS2 game, but you can't let it pass. A guy is killed and receive powers from the beyond to go back in time and avoid his death, then he's killed again... and again.... and again.... its a full game of you going back to prevent the new ways your killer tries to kill you, and its amazing how this scalates through many stupid situations. The text is gold, the acting is gold, the animations are gold and the music tries to be tense but that flute from 00:39 onwards always makes me laugh.

They're hidden gems for me!

So much love for the PSP :love:
I'm here for it!

So, I only had a few games when I had a PSP (late in it's life) but I'm discovering quite a few recently.
I'm playing them on PPSSPP now on a CRT TV and they certainly hit different that way; the PSP is like a "PlayStation 1.5" in a lot of ways. It's a good thing.

1727972567460.png

Yeah, I f**gin' LOVE Ridge Racer. RR2: PSP is like a "greatest hits" record of RR and I pumped HOURS into this beast. A must for arcade racer fan.

1727972691475.png

I was legit shocked when I played Tekken Dark Resurrection the first time. It moved and played like Tekken. Period. No caveats. Great frame rate (from what I remember), stellar graphics. I was blown away.

1727972823583.png

Crisis Core is nearly an obligatory PSP joint, right? Like, nearly everyone with a PSP had it/played it. While its not the best game in the world it is a hoot. AND, as a factoid, the dude who played Zach is Endless Mike from The Adventures of Pete & Pete. Wild.

1727972943665.png

Found out about this one recently. Its an Ape Escape cart racer. It's pretty rad. The vehicles are the apes themselves with wheels strapped to their limbs and... well, need I say more? It's only in Japanese but one can find their way around pretty easily through trial and error in the menus. It's worth it.

1727973089324.png

I love PSO. PSP2 on the PSP (🤭) is essentially PSO on the PSP. SOLD!

The PSP is really amazing, it honestly reminds me of the PS1 with how many great games and hidden gems their are.
1727978280452.jpeg

Megaman Powered Up is just an amazing remake of the original NES game, it has its own unique charm and style from the regular artstyle that the core megaman series uses being more focused on the cute chibi proportions and designs but it really works for me. Super tight gameplay expected from the series and a SHIT ton of content that includes new levels and the originals as well as a stupid amount of playable characters that all get their own interactions with the bosses. Its probably what I think of when it comes to how a modern classic megaman game should be when it comes to content.
1727978446735.jpeg

Crisis Core is a game I used to kinda hate? I ended up falling in love with the game once I spent more time learning about the other skills and spells and messing with the Curse Ring which is a really cool item that fixes the start and stop nature of its combat. Something I always loved about the game though was its story, there's a good reason why Zack became a huge name for the series and its cause his game has so many iconic and awesome moments, also for the PSP the presentation this game gives is still insane as is all of SE's games on the system. It's honestly surprising that this, BBS and Dissidia werent PS3 titles cause for me they basically match any of the console games in terms of scale and quality, just without the models, textures and resolution.
1727978656713.jpeg

I missed out on Pangya Online on PC and while I don't care too much about that given its cash shop nature. I LOVE the PSP title and all its little unlockables. It's a darn shame that besides Camelot and Handz there aren't more developers trying to get in on that arcadey golf action and just put a twist of cool anime characters in. Super well made and polished golf game thats super easy to pick up and a pleasure to look at, if you like the mario golf games or sony's everybody golfs I highly recommend checking this out.
1727978837937.jpeg

Admittedly I have yet to play through a lot of the hub quests in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. But a lot like 4U I find the village quests to give a very comfortable and satisfying time. The roster of monsters is all really interesting and cool plus you really don't have to mess with the hub quests to see a lot of the cool ones. I think the armor designs are mostly good but nothing crazy which is what I feel 3U and 4U do better due to their higher rank variations but overall the aesthetic and look of Portable 3rd is fantastic, if anyone here ever wants to play feel free to hit me up. Setting rooms up on PPSSPP is pretty simple.
1727979125843.jpeg

Im kinda cheating putting this here since I JUST started playing this game recently but after 15 hours I can easily say its a new favorite not just PSP game but game in general. I enjoy the digimon franchise a lot as is and love the monster raising aspect more than typical turn based RPG games that World 3, DS and Cybersleuth do. This game kinda being an odd reimanging of the super tough PS1 game somehow surprised the shit out of me with how accessible and well made it is, not just with the quality of life to raising your digimon but also the presentation with its varied locations. I love exploring the world, solving side quests and battling with my little homie digimon, awesome game that fans of the vpets and anime should give a shot. You gotta push through the beginning since raising your FIRST digimon is super tough, but once you unlock a few things the game becomes a nice ride between training your friend and then taking them out to explore for as long as you can. Im pretty confident by the end of the game it'l be one of my favs.
1727979356530.jpeg

Last one sorry for the huge post! I just really love the PSP Library! This was my personal introduction the Final Fantasy and is what got me into RPGs to begin with. Its the perfect representation of what classic FF is all about and I think its the defacto best starting point for someone who doesn't wanna go in release order. I'l end that here since I dont wanna go on forever and there's honestly like 10 more games i'd love to talk about but will let others hopefully go over them! (shoutout to Gorse who inspired me to make a reply like this, seriously he got me interested enough to download some of the games he talked about)

Last edited:
The PSP is really amazing, it honestly reminds me of the PS1 with how many great games and hidden gems their are.
View attachment 687
Megaman Powered Up is just an amazing remake of the original NES game, it has its own unique charm and style from the regular artstyle that the core megaman series uses being more focused on the cute chibi proportions and designs but it really works for me. Super tight gameplay expected from the series and a SHIT ton of content that includes new levels and the originals as well as a stupid amount of playable characters that all get their own interactions with the bosses. Its probably what I think of when it comes to how a modern classic megaman game should be when it comes to content.
View attachment 688
Crisis Core is a game I used to kinda hate? I ended up falling in love with the game once I spent more time learning about the other skills and spells and messing with the Curse Ring which is a really cool item that fixes the start and stop nature of its combat. Something I always loved about the game though was its story, there's a good reason why Zack became a huge name for the series and its cause his game has so many iconic and awesome moments, also for the PSP the presentation this game gives is still insane as is all of SE's games on the system. It's honestly surprising that this, BBS and Dissidia werent PS3 titles cause for me they basically match any of the console games in terms of scale and quality, just without the models, textures and resolution.
View attachment 689
I missed out on Pangya Online on PC and while I don't care too much about that given its cash shop nature. I LOVE the PSP title and all its little unlockables. It's a darn shame that besides Camelot and Handz there aren't more developers trying to get in on that arcadey golf action and just put a twist of cool anime characters in. Super well made and polished golf game thats super easy to pick up and a pleasure to look at, if you like the mario golf games or sony's everybody golfs I highly recommend checking this out.
View attachment 690
Admittedly I have yet to play through a lot of the hub quests in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. But a lot like 4U I find the village quests to give a very comfortable and satisfying time. The roster of monsters is all really interesting and cool plus you really don't have to mess with the hub quests to see a lot of the cool ones. I think the armor designs are mostly good but nothing crazy which is what I feel 3U and 4U do better due to their higher rank variations but overall the aesthetic and look of Portable 3rd is fantastic, if anyone here ever wants to play feel free to hit me up. Setting rooms up on PPSSPP is pretty simple.
View attachment 691
Im kinda cheating putting this here since I JUST started playing this game recently but after 15 hours I can easily say its a new favorite not just PSP game but game in general. I enjoy the digimon franchise a lot as is and love the monster raising aspect more than typical turn based RPG games that World 3, DS and Cybersleuth do. This game kinda being an odd reimanging of the super tough PS1 game somehow surprised the shit out of me with how accessible and well made it is, not just with the quality of life to raising your digimon but also the presentation with its varied locations. I love exploring the world, solving side quests and battling with my little homie digimon, awesome game that fans of the vpets and anime should give a shot. You gotta push through the beginning since raising your FIRST digimon is super tough, but once you unlock a few things the game becomes a nice ride between training your friend and then taking them out to explore for as long as you can. Im pretty confident by the end of the game it'l be one of my favs.
View attachment 692
Last one sorry for the huge post! I just really love the PSP Library! This was my personal introduction the Final Fantasy and is what got me into RPGs to begin with. Its the perfect representation of what classic FF is all about and I think its the defacto best starting point for someone who doesn't wanna go in release order. I'l end that here since I dont wanna go on forever and there's honestly like 10 more games i'd love to talk about but will let others hopefully go over them! (shoutout to Gorse who inspired me to make a reply like this, seriously he got me interested enough to download some of the games he talked about)
I forgot about the Mega Man games! They're rad, too.

Patapon 1, great game. My main reason for originally getting one was for Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins. Don't have my save data anymore sadly.

View attachment 687
View attachment 688
View attachment 689
View attachment 690
View attachment 691
View attachment 692
Awesome entries. I also miss Pangya Online. I used to play it on a private server. I still need to beat Digimon World ReDigitize but I found it a cool game (only played 3 or 4 hours tho).

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Final Fantasy Dissidia, Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Final Fantasy Tactics War of The Lions, Worms (forgot which one), i had some other ones but they weren't great. Stuff like Alien Syndrome and Untold Legends, games i found in a bargain bin at GameStop.

Oh boy the PSP I played a LOT of PSP games but ones that stuck with me are
  • Dissidia 012: its in my top 10 games of all time for sure .I spend hours in this game. It has a lot to offer from a good story ,enjoyable battles system and that mode where you unlock extra characters and fight that dude with gazillion hp
  • .hack//link: this is my first hack game even tho it's kinda repetitive it's presentation and quirkiness really made me enjoy it very much
  • Disgaea 2: disgaea is known for its weird dialogue ,cast and story I played both 1 And 2 in PSP but I liked 2 more
  • Valkyrie chronicle 2 : I like the story and battle system in this one.tbh I never finished it due to me losing the save file ,I'm planning to do

Tbh I can continue naming other great games but this will take a lot of time xD

• .hack//link: this is my first hack game even tho it's kinda repetitive it's presentation and quirkiness really made me enjoy it very much
in terms of narrative, would you recommend it as a first .hack? i was curious about the series but it has so many entries and i imagined the psp one being like a spin off or too much of a side story.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

No members online now.