Wizardry VII - The Jewel of Guardia English Patch PS1

MonstermanMFR

New Challenger
Reaction score
Not my project, but I found this online recently and looks like it flew under the radar of some:

I tried it out, and gotta say that I've never played a wizardry game..... and dang, it would be quite the challenge lol. Really hard to get into it, very odd game. But another one for people to enjoy, so I can't complain. Thanks!

Indeed, I had no idea this was translated. Thanks for the heads up!

Wiz7 is indeed a tough one... maybe the toughest to succeed in, especially for a newcomer. It's a vast world, everything hates you, and the game isn't afraid to let you make mistakes. The UI sucks too, though hopefully that's less of a problem on PSX? I have yet to try.

The storyline here actually starts in Wiz 6 and finishes in Wiz 8. If you're playing on PC you can transfer your party between each game. There is a "Wizardry VI & VI Complete" game for Saturn, I wonder if that lets you party xfer?

Anyway, SNES Wiz 6 is translated too, so that or the original PC version of 6 could feel a little more approachable. Strangely, Wiz 8 is also pretty kind in comparison. By 2001 they were getting better at QoL stuff.

Thanks, I literally destroyed all my radars...(it was picking up too much negativity).
I'll see it gets to the right place. :P

Wizardry on the PS1? sounds extra comfy

Eboot For the wizardry-vii-the-jewel-of-guardia-english-patch-ps1.

This was VERY if not the HARDEST Eboot to make I ever Dealt with!

Could not even use psx2psp! Had to mod the .Dat File into adding the GameID.

Eboot For the wizardry-vii-the-jewel-of-guardia-english-patch-ps1.

This was VERY if not the HARDEST Eboot to make I ever Dealt with!

Could not even use psx2psp! Had to mod the .Dat File into adding the GameID.
I made one with PSX2PSP, it seemed to work?
I selected the game from the dropdown and manually entered Game ID.

Untitled.png

This is great. Unfortunately, the PS1 version is really ugly. Those 3D monster are terrible.

This is great. Unfortunately, the PS1 version is really ugly. Those 3D monster are terrible.
Your comment reminded me that there's a weird 3D version of Ultima Underworld for the PS1, its definitely something worth seeing.

Regarding Wiz7 PSX, I tried it last week and my impression unfortunately is it's very archaic, and it would appear at first glance that the (untranslated) Wizardry VI & VII Complete for Saturn, which came out within a year of Wiz7 PSX, has a much nicer presentation of the same material. Hopefully that will get translated at some point as it might provide a real alternative to the also not super friendly PC original.

Your comment reminded me that there's a weird 3D version of Ultima Underworld for the PS1, its definitely something worth seeing.
PSX Ultima Underworld is actually absolutely fantastic, I found out recently.

If you can remember the slightly complex controls it's honestly a better experience, imo, than the 1992 PC original, at least is my impression after two hours with it. The visuals are fullscreen, faithful, and sometimes run at 60fps(!). (I recommend using your MiSTer or emulator GPU overclock options.) The low-key anime portraits are nice too. If anyone is curious about experiencing UU I highly recommend checking it out.

So far the one downside I'm aware of, unfortunately shared with most copies of the PC version, is it has the catastrophic inventory bug that can corrupt your inventory if you let too many sprites (such as items and enemy blood splats) laying around in the world. Googling this topic will give advice for avoiding this happening. (Pretty much all versions of the first UU suffer from this bug.)

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

No members online now.