What do you play retro consoles on?

Ded

New Challenger
Reaction score
I got pretty lucky and secured myself a Sony BVM before prices got a bit too high. A neat little thing about it, are the module slots in the back. Eventually, I'll stop lazing around and do something with them. Any other crt lovers out there?

1727226131174.jpeg

i only play on emulators with keyboard, controllers feel uncomfortable in my tiny racoon-like hands.
tho i thought about picking up a crt monitor to game on, i'll update in case i manage to find one in my local area.
that tiny crt you got there goes hard

i only play on emulators with keyboard, controllers feel uncomfortable in my tiny racoon-like hands.
tho i thought about picking up a crt monitor to game on, i'll update in case i manage to find one in my local area.
that tiny crt you got there goes hard
Love it!! I play mostly SNES and Gameboy Color games on it. I have another 14inch one for other consoles. I heard good things about DELL CRT monitors, definitely want to get one eventually for a retro PC I'm building.

Last edited:
I hate to come off as some kind of gibbering simp, but I use a 65" Samsung OLED for pretty much all my gaming needs, these days. The screen looks gorgeous, and there are a wide variety of display modes that suit different systems very well. It's not a perfect device – Samsung's built-in UI is truly atrocious, and I suspect the slightest bit of input lag with certain platforms (mainly my Apple TV and PC connected through HDMI), but my PS4 and PSTV work beautifully on it.

Plus, it's friggin' phenomenal for watching stuff on! Built-in file support is spotty, though, so I'll probably need to pay for a Plex server in the near future If I want to watch pirated episodes of Beast Wars II. :cry:

I hate to come off as some kind of gibbering simp, but I use a 65" Samsung OLED for pretty much all my gaming needs, these days. The screen looks gorgeous, and there are a wide variety of display modes that suit different systems very well. It's not a perfect device – Samsung's built-in UI is truly atrocious, and I suspect the slightest bit of input lag with certain platforms (mainly my Apple TV and PC connected through HDMI), but my PS4 and PSTV work beautifully on it.

Plus, it's friggin' phenomenal for watching stuff on! Built-in file support is spotty, though, so I'll probably need to pay for a Plex server in the near future If I want to watch pirated episodes of Beast Wars II. :cry:
That's a big screen, love it!!! Have you considered using retrotink on it?

That's a big screen, love it!!! Have you considered using retrotink on it?
I hate to say it, but I don't actually have any retro home consoles in my possession at the moment – I play my games through HD collections, emulators, and hacked Vita software running Adrenaline. In the event that I do wind up with a genuine Amiga CD32, though, I'll definitely be picking up RetroTINK's 4K model!

I got pretty lucky and secured myself a Sony BVM before prices got a bit too high. A neat little thing about it, are the module slots in the back. Eventually, I'll stop lazing around and do something with them. Any other crt lovers out there?

View attachment 196
I have an attic full ::biggrin
I refuse to play old games on anything but

I don't. I was cleaning when I took this photo. I can't show how it is today, I'd be embarrassed...

I don't know the model. Basically I play Mega-drive, Saturn and Dreamcast. I used to play the original Xbox on it, but the Xbox broke.
View attachment 213
Nice! Love Panasonic, I used to have a small one with a built in dvd player. Sad your Xbox broke, was it the DVD drive?

Have a pretty nice set up:
A Panasonic CRT (20-some-odd-inch)
PS2 running OPL over ethernet and N64 with flash cart RCA direct.
For everything else up to Gamecube a dell Optiplex mini-pc (i7) running Lakka. VGA output to a RCA converter and boom, instant modern-retro!

I just use my Steam Deck. It's powerful enough for like 95% of anything I would want to emulate, and they all look good on the OLED screen. If there is any input lag or emulation inaccuracies or anything like that, then I haven't noticed

I just use my Steam Deck. It's powerful enough for like 95% of anything I would want to emulate, and they all look good on the OLED screen. If there is any input lag or emulation inaccuracies or anything like that, then I haven't noticed
I used my steam deck to play Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 online, was fun!

I used my steam deck to play Resident Evil Outbreak File 2 online, was fun!
How hard was it to set up the online stuff? I have vaguely considered playing Monster Hunter Dos on Steam Deck, but IDK what the online setup process is like.

How hard was it to set up the online stuff? I have vaguely considered playing Monster Hunter Dos on Steam Deck, but IDK what the online setup process is like.
Not sure about other games but Resident Evil Outbreak was pretty straightforward, has a private server, and they have a guide on how to set it up, also a Youtube video. Not sure about Monster Hunter.

Not sure about other games but Resident Evil Outbreak was pretty straightforward, has a private server, and they have a guide on how to set it up, also a Youtube video. Not sure about Monster Hunter.
I bet it's pretty similar. The only thing holding me back now is that MH Dos is a very obtuse and player-unfriendly game lol

I have a pretty sophisticated setup. I have my main 65" OLED and use a Retrotink 5X with HD Retrovision component cables for Wii, GameCube, N64 (I had to do an RGB mod for them to work), SNES, Genesis, PS2, and PS1. I have a Scart cable for the Dreamcast and an Xbox2HDMI for my OG Xbox, but it's super high quality. I also made my own power cable adapters so I can use my slim PS2 power brick for my PS1, Genesis, and SNES. I also replaced my power supplies in my Dreamcast, Fat PS2, and Saturn so I can use a single power brick and the Dreamcast runs off of USB-C.

The video output is crisp and upscales to 1080p. I don't have the room for a CRT otherwise I would have one of those just because.

before kids a crt tv with a built in dvd player to watch the one Pokémon dvd that got stuck in there and i couldn't be bothered to repair, after kids psp go and now steam deck. i have always prefered to play handhelds since the ds and psp

before kids a crt tv with a built in dvd player to watch the one Pokémon dvd that got stuck in there and i couldn't be bothered to repair, after kids psp go and now steam deck. i have always prefered to play handhelds since the ds and psp
I'm mostly a handheld guy as well. I grew up with one TV in the house and my parents were cable junkies and it was hard to get TV time.

As promised, here's an update.
A family member reached out to me and gave me this crt monitor they were planning on throwing away.
IMG20241002115609.jpg
IMG20241002120523.jpg
here are some pics

It was locked away for god only knows how long, but after a bit of cleaning i moved it to my setup!
IMG20241003192625.jpg
IMG20241003192439.jpg

here it is playing touhou 6 it all it's crt glory

IMG20241003192642.jpg

unfortunately there's some ghosting caused by the crappy vga to hdmi adaptor i'm using, but still i've been enjoying the crt experience so far

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back