PSVITA The PS Vita

MajesticSiN

New Challenger
Reaction score
PlayStation-Vita-1101-FL.jpg

Quite possibly the best and my favorite handheld ever made.
Besides the really expensive memory cards I had nothing bad to say on my experience with it.
Please tell me your experiences with it and feel free to list off your favorite games for it.
I'll give a mini list of my must plays for the system.

Dragons Crown​

194602_front.jpg

A sword-and-sorcery beat 'em up homage with elements of Golden Axe, D&D Arcade, and more; except, expanded into an RPG. As such, in addition to the standard stages to play, is incentive to revisit them thanks to several quests which reward you with loot and further improve your powers. Each of the 6 classes has numerous skills and passive abilities to learn, letting you customize how you want to play and what role you'll serve in a party. You'll definitely want to party on, since after the initial 9 stages, you unlock 9 more, each with new bosses to conquer.
After beating the game once, you get to the REAL meat: The Labyrinth of Chaos! It's a randomized dungeon containing mixed up elements from all stages, like fishmen out of water in the middle of the sky raining fire in an underground cave. Further on, bosses spawn as common foes, except harder with new attacks and patterns, AND other common enemies and stage hazards smash on you simultaneously.

Gravity Rush​

179570_front.jpg

An original and stylish action adventure game, and one that's been executed with incredible polish. Use gravity powers to float, manipulate objects, run-and-jump on walls, speed from plane to plane, etc. like you're Spider-Man but 50 times better.
There is a remaster available on the ps4 that might be easier to pick up but I feel that the PSVita version is the best way to play it.

Killzone: Mercenary​

179603_front.jpg

Probably the best portable FPS game I've ever played and that seems to be the general consensus on this game. The campaign, though 9 stages, is lengthy and full of activities/situations other than running thru a level shooting. Extra replayability comes via different strategies for goals (i.e. hacking extra info, alternate target-kill methods, etc.). The multiplayer was amazing and probably my favorite part of the whole game.

Muramasa Rebirth​

250191_front.jpg

Enhanced port of the Wii game "Muramasa: The Demon Blade". If you haven't heard of this or played it yet, then I recommend you seek out a copy now. This is the best way to play Muramasa. It's hard for me to speak on this without spoiling too much so all I will say is that this is a must play if you can only play one game on this list.

Touch My Katamari​

206255_front.jpg

While it doesn't offer groundbreaking changes from previous entries, it's still Katamari and thus damn good and funky. Improved controls flow smoothly (jump and turn only need one button each, etc.) and also has a new stretch and squish mechanic to get lots of stuff or squeeze through tight spaces. You can also use touchscreen-centric controls.
As always, roll your magic cosmic ball to get stuff stuck to it before time runs out (or other stage-based goals). You'll often start small with stuff like toys and cookies, but soon grow enough to roll up pets, people, buildings, and even entire countries!

A remarkable piece of technology that launched at the wrong time, kind of similar to the Dreamcast. The market shift from dedicated gaming devices to smartphones, it's "peculiar" name and expensive costs for manufacturing and developing sent it straight to its grave. If Sony had not beefed with Capcom it could've lived longer but we'll never know.

Can't say I have fond memories of it, I only had one to play Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden and then sold it.

Sony dropped it earlier than the psp because it didn't print money right away. Too bad considering how great the tech was.
I'm glad some of the games are being ported to other consoles/pc.
Persona 4 Golden was too good to be stuck on the vita.

I think the main problem were the memory prices. Sony just can´t help it but put proprietary and expensive crap.

I started playing Legend of Heroes games with the vita and loved playing Dragon's Crown ( more than 100hours) and Muramasa. I wish vanillaware didn't hate pc.

the MC for vita were like 100 dollars or more.... for the 64GB the biggest one. but i like the vita for hacking. you can use a SD card and some CART adapter for it if you hack it. still vita system had some fan service games... so if you share you vita with your family make sure you don't have those games on there. also you can remote play with the PS4 which is neat. wish it would work with PS5 but oh well maybe a hacked vita would. not my problem with the vita is using it for PS4 is the lack of L2 R2 L3 R3 button's. you need grips for those and it sucks grip's cost so much (i could be wrong)

The PlayStation Vita is very special to me. It's the first portable gaming system I bought with my own hard earned money. I would buy myself a nice full-priced game every paycheck on the digital store. Sadly, it had very few games that appealed to me. I had Unit 13, MK9, UMVC3, DOA5, WipEout 2048, and since I had bought the day one edition, it came with Little Deviants. When there were many long dry months of any games I looked forward to, that was when I slowly stopped using it. Once the PS Vita CFW stuff became easy, I discovered a bunch of games that had come out that I missed out on. Senran Kagura is a really fun series for instance. Killzone Mercenary did not really live up to my expectations, unfortunately, as I was past the phase were I was impressionable. Ridge Racer is a pleasant game, by the way. Not sure why people don't like it as much.

The Vita is a great system and totally underrated. Dragon's Crown, Karamari, Final Fantasy X, God of War and the PS3/4 remote play is what I mostly used mine for. Plenty of amazing games to check out if you install CFW.

I never owned a Vita, and the PSP was pretty much my favourite console ever. From the console's launch, the PSV (does anyone remember that it was originally called the "NGP" [Next Generation Portable]?) just didn't interest me in the slightest. The reliance on insanely-overpriced, proprietary memory cards was atrocious, sure – Sony has always been very bad about that – and the front/back touch screens were a terrible idea from their very conception. But the real kicker... the worst thing of all... was that there were just no interesting games.

The PSP had such a stellar, unbelievably-good lineup of fresh, original game ideas. There were loads of shit PS2 ports, of course, but beyond those, the sheer amount of titles that looked and played like nothing else captured my mind. Look at the games mentioned in this thread. Does the Vita have anything that compares? Even the Vita's good games – and there are several – were traditional, by-the-numbers drudgery. Beat 'em ups. Action games. Dungeon crawling JRPGs. (So, so many dungeon crawling JRPGs!) Where was the Vita's Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman? Its WTF: Work Time Fun? God, even its Patapon!? Nowhere. YAWN!!!

Throughout the VIta's lifespan, there were only three games that interested me: Danganronpa (a port of a PSP game, now on PC/PS4/everything else), Little Deviants (a short, content-light tech demo), and Touch my Katamari (a gimmicky sequel that contained recycled levels from several other non-Vita games). That's it. Years later, I'd play Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (a port of a PS3 game, immediately made inferior by an updated release on PS3/PS4). I can't think of another game I even wanted to play. So I never bought one, and stuck with my 3DS, which (while disappointing at first) was a good long-term investment.

61DFaUY+DvL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Now, what I did buy was a Playstation TV. Does anyone even know these things existed? It's a Vita – literally the internal hardware, running an identical version of the OS – that, instead of a screen, has HDMI output, so you can plug it into an external display. Sony was using these things to burn off Vita components towards the end of the console's life, and I got one for about $100. (The price gradually dropped to about $20 after that. 😡 ) I only used it to natively play PS1 and PSP games until, finally, I just threw up my hands and hacked the stupid thing. It's now a palm-sized emulation box, and quite a good one, at that. Thanks anyways, Sony!

Now, what I did buy was a Playstation TV. Does anyone even know these things existed? It's a Vita – literally the internal hardware, running an identical version of the OS – that, instead of a screen, has HDMI output, so you can plug it into an external display. Sony was using these things to burn off Vita components towards the end of the console's life, and I got one for about $100. (The price gradually dropped to about $20 after that. 😡 ) I only used it to natively play PS1 and PSP games until, finally, I just threw up my hands and hacked the stupid thing. It's now a palm-sized emulation box, and quite a good one, at that. Thanks anyways, Sony!
Yeah I got one on launch and have been using it since. It's honestly pretty great though and even better when hacked (which is true of all things)

I needed a new PS3 controller and found that at Walmart bundled with a PS3 controller on clearance for $25. One of the best finds of my life.

Seriously, I'd love to have a Vita nowadays. When you jailbreak it, you have a very huge catalog of games to play, mainly using emulators. There's also some good exclusives to it, like Phantasy Star Nova and LBP Vita.

Seriously, I'd love to have a Vita nowadays. When you jailbreak it, you have a very huge catalog of games to play, mainly using emulators. There's also some good exclusives to it, like Phantasy Star Nova and LBP Vita.
Don't let your dreams be dreams

i have 2x modded Vita 1000's and play them all the time! love em!
the only thing that annoys me is the touch pads on the back
so i got a grip case thing with L2/R2 triggers & it works perfectly 👌

Software wise, it sadly wasn't as strong as the PSP. I really wish the lazy PS3 ports were so abundant in the RPG department. A lot had slowdown and ran sub-30 FPS. Hardware wise, it's fantastic, and it's depressing every time I look at it thinking many of the third party games are now on other platforms and play better, and it didn't get a lot of first party love. No Vita God of War is a shame. The collection runs like crap on the system. All of the PS3 collections did. I wanted an exclusive new game in each franchise for Jak, Sly Cooper, Ratchet, God of War, and even Infamous would have been awesome. Resistance: Burning Skies was terrible, Killzone Mercenary, while a technical showcase, was pretty forgettable.

The Vita is a great rpg machine!! but sadly quite a bit of them remained Japan only which I feel would've helped it out a bit more. Just recently I found out the Vita, PS3/4 got a HD port of Star Ocean Second Evolution that remained in Japan which honestly surprises me that Squenix didn't bring it over to the west

The Vita is a great rpg machine!! but sadly quite a bit of them remained Japan only which I feel would've helped it out a bit more. Just recently I found out the Vita, PS3/4 got a HD port of Star Ocean Second Evolution that remained in Japan which honestly surprises me that Squenix didn't bring it over to the west
There were quite a few Japanese only games that I wanted t play. I imported a few that had an English option.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back