Shows that deserved more seasons but the executives would rather greenlight more teen titans go

Lee__Kanker

Young Hero
Reaction score
Poor poor Infinity Train, original premise, very good soundtrack, great acting, a good variety of protagonists, decently graphic deaths when they happened, got cancelled for not having a "child entry point" whatever that means

This thread currently has my favourite title on RetroGameTalk. My choices:

TransformersAnimatedPoster.jpg
Transformers Animated
was an excellent late-2000s action series developed by the same team behind the equally-excellent Ben 10. The series had gorgeous (but controversial) character designs, some truly phenomenal writing, and a very in-depth story arc that spanned across each of its three seasons.

Unfortunately, the success of the 2007 Transformers movie and Hasbro execs wanting more control over the brand got the show cancelled before the last season could be produced, leading to several open plot remaining by the final episode. There's actually a ton of pre-production material for the fourth season available, and the show's cast have even done live readings of un-produced scripts, but the Transformers brand has moved far past this series, and the time has gone. :cry:

367yUv8wgojZNS8TrzWVx3ucxpJuXPr7YcR41LlGHMOLcFzdOuZW-tdwR2w1Qo7R7684wsIAZSvWWln6l1wZSZjtE1YycMZjlg
Cybersix
is one of the finest pieces of late-90s superhero animation available, and a massive cult classic for anyone who grew up in Canada during the turn of the century (i.e. me). A Japanese-Canadian co-production with animation by TMS, this unique series starred a robotic heroine who fought sci-fi monsters with her jaguar sidekick at night, but by day worked as a flipped-gender high school teacher in a quaint seaside town. The series had elements of adventure, mystery, and romance, with an extremely strong supporting cast and gorgeous animation. (The opening cinematic is supremely nostalgic.)

The show got great ratings and had the funding for a second season ready to go, but extreme hostility between TMS and the production team in Canada ended the series at 13 episodes. (Reports of what exactly happened are vague and biased, but apparently TMS was very poor at keeping up with the Canadian team's schedule, leading to huge delays and overshot budgets.) It's seen some interest in recent years thanks to a Blu-Ray release by Discotek, but the rights to continue it have long expired, as have the lives of the original IP creators. :cry:

MV5BNGQzNjQ2YmYtOWUwMS00ZTE1LWI0ZTYtMWI0ZTBlMzFmYTc4XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg
Spicy City
was the very first American-animated series aimed at adults, created by the ever-controversial Ralph Bakshi (Fritz the Cat, Cool World, Coonskin, etc.) for HBO. This show is a personal favourite of mine – an anthology series of neo-noir detective stories set in futuristic worlds, strung together by a Jessica Rabbit-like host. Episodes are heavy on the sex (this is HBO, remember!), but also have some very engaging mystery plots centred around technology and the internet. Characters don't re-appear outside of the episode they're introduced in, so each story is like a half-hour movie, and they're all executed with a variety of experimental art styles.

As is common with Bakshi's work, the HBO executives hated the production team he spearheaded, which, among various homeless and destitute people pulled from the streets of Brookyln, also included his son as head writer. (Whoops!) Again, ratings were high and a second season had been green-lit, but Bakshi's refusal to change his team (and, by the same token, the show's entire creative engine) got the series canned at only six episodes. This show is really tough to find, but if you can, I recommend it heartily. I'm still holding out for a Blu-Ray. :cry:

I'll doubtlessly remember more of these shows over the next few days, so if you're wanting more walls of text from Gorse on old cartoons nobody remembers, stay tuned!

This thread currently has my favourite title on RetroGameTalk. My choices:

TransformersAnimatedPoster.jpg
Transformers Animated
was an excellent late-2000s action series developed by the same team behind the equally-excellent Ben 10. The series had gorgeous (but controversial) character designs, some truly phenomenal writing, and a very in-depth story arc that spanned across each of its three seasons.

Unfortunately, the success of the 2007 Transformers movie and Hasbro execs wanting more control over the brand got the show cancelled before the last season could be produced, leading to several open plot remaining by the final episode. There's actually a ton of pre-production material for the fourth season available, and the show's cast have even done live readings of un-produced scripts, but the Transformers brand has moved far past this series, and the time has gone. :cry:

367yUv8wgojZNS8TrzWVx3ucxpJuXPr7YcR41LlGHMOLcFzdOuZW-tdwR2w1Qo7R7684wsIAZSvWWln6l1wZSZjtE1YycMZjlg
Cybersix
is one of the finest pieces of late-90s superhero animation available, and a massive cult classic for anyone who grew up in Canada during the turn of the century (i.e. me). A Japanese-Canadian co-production with animation by TMS, this unique series starred a robotic heroine who fought sci-fi monsters with her jaguar sidekick at night, but by day worked as a flipped-gender high school teacher in a quaint seaside town. The series had elements of adventure, mystery, and romance, with an extremely strong supporting cast and gorgeous animation. (The opening cinematic is supremely nostalgic.)

The show got great ratings and had the funding for a second season ready to go, but extreme hostility between TMS and the production team in Canada ended the series at 13 episodes. (Reports of what exactly happened are vague and biased, but apparently TMS was very poor at keeping up with the Canadian team's schedule, leading to huge delays and overshot budgets.) It's seen some interest in recent years thanks to a Blu-Ray release by Discotek, but the rights to continue it have long expired, as have the lives of the original IP creators. :cry:

MV5BNGQzNjQ2YmYtOWUwMS00ZTE1LWI0ZTYtMWI0ZTBlMzFmYTc4XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg
Spicy City
was the very first American-animated series aimed at adults, created by the ever-controversial Ralph Bakshi (Fritz the Cat, Cool World, Coonskin, etc.) for HBO. This show is a personal favourite of mine – an anthology series of neo-noir detective stories set in futuristic worlds, strung together by a Jessica Rabbit-like host. Episodes are heavy on the sex (this is HBO, remember!), but also have some very engaging mystery plots centred around technology and the internet. Characters don't re-appear outside of the episode they're introduced in, so each story is like a half-hour movie, and they're all executed with a variety of experimental art styles.

As is common with Bakshi's work, the HBO executives hated the production team he spearheaded, which, among various homeless and destitute people pulled from the streets of Brookyln, also included his son as head writer. (Whoops!) Again, ratings were high and a second season had been green-lit, but Bakshi's refusal to change his team (and, by the same token, the show's entire creative engine) got the series canned at only six episodes. This show is really tough to find, but if you can, I recommend it heartily. I'm still holding out for a Blu-Ray. :cry:

I'll doubtlessly remember more of these shows over the next few days, so if you're wanting more walls of text from Gorse on old cartoons nobody remembers, stay tuned!
Oh hoo good picks, Cibersix was very popular in europe too for that matter! Thats where the comics deubuted after all ::biggrin

I adore Bakshi and his attitude, I should give Spicy City a rewatch, I was watching coonskins just last week! The world needs more people who make no compromises on their principles. One of my favorite movie is the recobbled cut mk4 of The Thief and The Cobbler so that should give you an idea of my taste :p

I didnt know about Transformers animated, but you know what its story reminds me of?
1727362592156.png

It has my avorite animated spiderman in both voice acting (voiced by young Revolver Ocelot) and personality, it focused a lot on Parker's personal relationship;his friends, girlfriends, aunt, how spiderman gets in the way of them...
GREAT voice for Doctor Octopus too he sounds like db kai freezer, great intro; ended on a cliffhanger with hints for season 3 but the effing mcu dropped and the disney buying marvel and they made their own inferior show..

I can say the same for
1727362799058.png

By far their best animated version especially captain america, same voice actors as marvel vs capcom 3 the captain is also voiced by BJ Blazkowitch! Again they focused a lot on the character's personalities and different ways of approaching things (and actually made iron man flawed instead of always right), I'm also very happy with how they did Hulk and the antagonists.. spectacular spiderman shows up too!
Only problem is it's got some bs like not saying "kill" but still I'd have loved loved loved to see it continued, it also ended on a cliffhanger because the marvel started being a movie company first and a comic books company second

1727363056552.png

The Crtitic, made bt some of the simpsons writers is very different from its yellow cousin; it's about an actual ugly loser, but it's a rich educated sexually frustrated punchablee loser! Thats something you dont see often! It's much more specific to 1990s nyc and its one of the first shows that relied on referencial humor this often; it's way way meaner than the simpsons but also hilarious in a very unique way that's hard to explain, the whole thing is on youtube that's how little fox cares about it. Season 2 is not as good, I really dont like the redesigns, but still a fun watch with some great episodes
His speech on the English for Cab Drivers channel is still relevant

Last edited:
Cybersix is one of the finest pieces of late-90s superhero animation available, and a massive cult classic for anyone who grew up in Canada during the turn of the century (i.e. me). A Japanese-Canadian co-production with animation by TMS, this unique series starred a robotic heroine who fought sci-fi monsters with her jaguar sidekick at night, but by day worked as a flipped-gender high school teacher in a quaint seaside town. The series had elements of adventure, mystery, and romance, with an extremely strong supporting cast and gorgeous animation. (The opening cinematic is supremely nostalgic.)

I actually came here with the intention of mentioning Cybersix. Great, great show.

I have a few others I watched and wished had more by the end of it, though.

1727473704485.png

Green Lantern: The Animated Series is a wonderful show that had such a good Red Lantern representative that I was flabbergasted to find out that Razer actually had no comic precedence. It's a shame, especially, since it seemed like they would have gone into the Yellow Corps for a season three, since season two set up Sinestro (and I also wanted more from my edgy boy).

1727473819204.png

Similarly, Batman: The Brave and The Bold seemed to have been entering a cool story arc. Equinox was a fun villain that I wanted to see more of, no matter how many "humping the shark" criticisms it faced.

Transformers Animated was an excellent late-2000s action series developed by the same team behind the equally-excellent Ben 10. The series had gorgeous (but controversial) character designs, some truly phenomenal writing, and a very in-depth story arc that spanned across each of its three seasons.
That's probably super-valid, but I haven't seen so much of that show and Transformers Prime was awesome but probably wouldn't have been made if Animated aired for longer. I, especially, never would have had my love for Smokescreen (He should have become a Prime) and Arcee.

Sonic SatAM deserved a third season and was brutally cancelled in favor of Power Rangers. Nothing against Power Rangers, but they could have axed something else instead.
22780177_180543362509712_9065521857347981960_n.jpg

MV5BZTE0ODQ0MWQtNDQ5ZS00ZDQ3LTk5OGMtYjA0MDM5MmE4NzI1XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg
I forgot one! Moonbeam City, all in all, was a pretty terrible show. It's a tongue-in-cheek animated parody of Miami Vice set in a retro-futuristic 80s, centring on the trials and tribulations of a faux-cool officer and his supporting team. The writing was really dumb and sophomoric – imagine the lowest lows of early-2010s Comedy Central dialogue, where that insufferable millennial, internet-influenced tone was just starting out – and I don't think the voice acting was very good, either. (It's actually really jarring – none of the characters sound at all like how they look, leading to some weird disconnects whenever they're speaking.)

The show had gorgeous visuals based on pop artist Patrick Nagel, though, and you could tell the animation team really cared about the world they were building. The titular city is beautifully-designed and animated with a heavy synthwave flair, and a ton of little details are introduced and continue throughout the show's run. The characters look and emote great, too – they're really cool, and while there isn't a ton of motion, the way they move when they talk is eye-catching and funny. The soundtrack is awesome, too – very synth-y, and upbeat, which serves a comedy-action show well.

It was canned after 10 episodes, which I can't disagree with, because it was honestly quite bad, but gosh darn it – that artwork deserved better! If I were in charge of reviving this, I'd have all the writers blacklisted and shuffle the VAs. I'd recommend Moonbeam City, but only with the sound turned off.

Sonic SatAM deserved a third season and was brutally cancelled in favor of Power Rangers.
Ironic, because now the Power Rangers show has been cancelled and Sonic's doing better than ever on TV. TAKE THAT, HEIM SABAN!!!!

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back