Remakes\Enhanced Ports you'd actually want

That would require squaresoft to finally start doing other genres again

Einhender 2 would be pretty sick..
100p that was my favorite squaresoft back then. very few shooters had story telling bits back then and einhander was the one i can remember, radiant silvergun the other. both had bosses oozing w personality and stages with so much more presence than just another tileset. real sad none of their experiments back then were incredibly successful in spite of critical praise

I would love to have proper remasters/modern ports of TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect for modern PCs. The enhancement I want is mouse support, but I'll take anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

Ridge Racer Type 4. The game already looks great in HD on an emulator, but a new version can bring in the polish on HUD and proper widescreen support.

Unreal. The game could use some tighter mechanics. It honestly could look some air control so the platforming isn't arse. This is the #1 game that should've been handed to Nightdive Studios, but Epic decided to delist all games in the series instead. Happy 25th.

The only games that "need" to be remade are those who were actually bad to begin with, but obviously those never get the remake treatment: not only you can't take advantage of the original game's popularity but it's highly unlikely that anyone is asking for a remake of a bad game.
Also emulation is a thing so ports of old games make little to no sense unless the game cannot be properly experienced on anything but the original hardware (like most ds games due to the dual screens and touch controls), reworking those to work on pc would be great.

That being said, I hope to see the day when Panic Park will be somehow ported to modern hardware. It's been 10 years since I last played but It's among my favourite Namco coin-op games
panic-park-bg.png

Agree with all the square requests. DQ4-6 very much need remakes since the originals have their flaws presentation wise but also the remakes while EXTREMELY good in terms of content and presentation have a really ugly script with their accents that needs to be toned down or preferably outright removed.

Xenogears is also a game I think could benefit from a enhanced port/remake a ton, I love that game to death but the lack of a cutscene skip for replaying really hurts it a ton (or even just when you have to refight a boss on death) and I also think the camera needs to be reworked or an ingame map given for dungeons cause god damn I got lost way too many times in that game. Maybe finishing Disc 2 would be cool too haha.

Agree with all the square requests. DQ4-6 very much need remakes since the originals have their flaws presentation wise but also the remakes while EXTREMELY good in terms of content and presentation have a really ugly script with their accents that needs to be toned down or preferably outright removed.

Xenogears is also a game I think could benefit from a enhanced port/remake a ton, I love that game to death but the lack of a cutscene skip for replaying really hurts it a ton (or even just when you have to refight a boss on death) and I also think the camera needs to be reworked or an ingame map given for dungeons cause god damn I got lost way too many times in that game. Maybe finishing Disc 2 would be cool too haha.
Not a problem to me because the italian translation is written in regular italian ::good

I wish we had the newer Gran Turismo games on the PS4/PS5. GT5 and GT6 aren't the best games, yes, but they have a massive amount of polish and stunning graphics, GT6 has quite a lot of content iirc. I just wanted them to make those games more accessible, anything stuck on the PS3 is quite a hassle to play if you don't have a computer powerful enough to emulate said console.

After the WHAT got announced? Dude, no way!
I know. I was just as surprised. IDK who was hankering for a Freedom Wars port, but I am happy it exists. I remember wanting to like the game but being pretty lukewarm about it. Maybe the new port will make me feel differently.

racing lagoon since the concept was so ridiculously sick that it can be muchly expanded upon, and arguably the only thing lacking from the original was polish
I really wanted to like Racing Lagoon, but I just remember being so bad at the driving lol. I am such a fan of ridge racer 4, and I wanted to like RL, but I couldn't get into it. Would you recommend playing the game with the cheat code car included in the patch or should I just keep trying to get better at it?

When the Nintendo Switch came out, I thought it was the perfect console and opportunity to introduce it's wide audience to obscure arcade stuff. Knowing how Nintendo handled the Virtual Console series, I was anticipating games from platforms like Naomi or CPS-III. Better yet, ports that enhanced the performance. That dream has pretty much withered away despite the fact that Marvel vs Capcom Collection exists and Capcom Fighting Collection 2 is on it's way with more Naomi games.

To this day, I see a Nintendo Direct and wish for a Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition.

Maybe the Switch 2 will be powerful enough for that game.

I don't know if I can trust most modern studios to handle remasters respectfully given recent history but I, of
SNES_Plok_cover_art.png
course do have my list of titles I would like to see given a new coat of paint and maybe with restored content as well. The most immediate one that comes to mind would be Plok for the SNES, for those of you who haven't played it, it's a very creative platformer with a killed soundtrack by Follin (brothers?) and a unique art style, it does have its issues and most of them stem from certain stages being an absolute chore but it's definitely above average for its time.
I would also like to see Mega Man 7 getting some sort of remaster instead of just emulation, because that game suffered because of the low resolution of the SNES and everything felt cramped because of it. Gokinjo Boukentai is a great SFC RPG that could use being on other platforms for people to enjoy in a more accessible manner.
Satellaview_with_Super_Famicom.jpg

Oh and of course, I would love it for Nintendo to revisit their Satellaview library, I find it quite saddening that much of it is either incomplete, lost or behind serious obstacles to get to. Imagine if they were to officially re-release most of it while synced to the original audio/radio voice overs, have its original hub restored including news articles and the like, of course this is just daydreaming and realistically there's no chance of it ever happening.

Last edited:
I am so late to this but one that need or deserve a remake gotta be Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker because...well? They remake Metal Gear Solid 3 so, why not?
Metal_Gear_Solid_Peace_Walker_Cover_Art.jpg

Incoming essay!

I've answered this question a few times over the years and it's proven to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm adverse to remakes in general because it's rare that they're executed in a way that I believe feels right for that specific game. Remakes in general tend to be really lazy and uninspired, and I largely believe that in most cases, a remake is completely unnecessary. As someone who primarily games on PC, I still have access to a grand majority of the original versions of games, and those original versions can generally be enhanced through mods and hacks, or dolled up via ReShade, so I see absolutely no value in remakes.

Where ports are concerned, they tend to be nostalgia cash-ins for developers, doing the bare minimum to make games that are still available on PC (through emulation or otherwise) accessible on a modern console. I refer to this as the "console tax," where you're effectively paying extra for your decision to focus on a walled-off format like consoles.

I'd say that an example of a decent remake would be what they did with Star Ocean: The Second Story R. They didn't fundamentally change anything about the core of the game. It's the same story, same characters, and pretty much the same mechanics, they just recreated the entire world from scratch to make it more tolerable for modern sensibilities and added a few quality of life adjustments. It's more than just a remaster because there's a lot more than a simple fresh coat of paint added, but they didn't try to reinvent the wheel. Sure, you can still play the original on PSX or the updated version on PSP and it'll feel mostly the same, but the overhaul in the remake is a nice update that makes the experience more streamlined and enjoyable. Same goes for the remake of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. The game is excellent and just needed a few design adjustments, and they just tweaked a few things and the changes were nice.

And then there are remakes like the ever-beloved Final Fantasy VII abomination, where they add in a ton of fluff, retcon multiple scenarios, change character personalities, and alter major plot points. Then they have the audacity to split it up into multiple entries. It just smacks of greed to me because they know that FFVII fans are nostalgic and rabid and have a tendency to hoover up anything to do with that game, so no matter how mediocre the remakes are, people are going to happily pay for every single entry just to get that glimmer of happiness that they had when they were younger and playing the original during a time when they were carefree and happy. I just pray that they keep disregarding Final Fantasy VI, because if they do to that what they did to VII, I seriously don't think my heart could take it.

I just don't have a desire in most cases to pay to see something updated that I still have immediate access to. The only games that I have any desire to see updated are Persona: Revelations, and the Persona 2 duology, because although I still do annual playthroughs of those games every year, there are some core mechanics that have aged like milk that make them feel clunky to play. And then I start to think about how modern Persona is being handled, and I'm afraid that they'd turn those three original Persona games into generic high school harem simulators somehow, just to appease to modern Persona fans, so I'd just prefer that they were left alone entirely.

Incoming essay!

I've answered this question a few times over the years and it's proven to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm adverse to remakes in general because it's rare that they're executed in a way that I believe feels right for that specific game. Remakes in general tend to be really lazy and uninspired, and I largely believe that in most cases, a remake is completely unnecessary. As someone who primarily games on PC, I still have access to a grand majority of the original versions of games, and those original versions can generally be enhanced through mods and hacks, or dolled up via ReShade, so I see absolutely no value in remakes.

Where ports are concerned, they tend to be nostalgia cash-ins for developers, doing the bare minimum to make games that are still available on PC (through emulation or otherwise) accessible on a modern console. I refer to this as the "console tax," where you're effectively paying extra for your decision to focus on a walled-off format like consoles.

I'd say that an example of a decent remake would be what they did with Star Ocean: The Second Story R. They didn't fundamentally change anything about the core of the game. It's the same story, same characters, and pretty much the same mechanics, they just recreated the entire world from scratch to make it more tolerable for modern sensibilities and added a few quality of life adjustments. It's more than just a remaster because there's a lot more than a simple fresh coat of paint added, but they didn't try to reinvent the wheel. Sure, you can still play the original on PSX or the updated version on PSP and it'll feel mostly the same, but the overhaul in the remake is a nice update that makes the experience more streamlined and enjoyable. Same goes for the remake of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. The game is excellent and just needed a few design adjustments, and they just tweaked a few things and the changes were nice.

And then there are remakes like the ever-beloved Final Fantasy VII abomination, where they add in a ton of fluff, retcon multiple scenarios, change character personalities, and alter major plot points. Then they have the audacity to split it up into multiple entries. It just smacks of greed to me because they know that FFVII fans are nostalgic and rabid and have a tendency to hoover up anything to do with that game, so no matter how mediocre the remakes are, people are going to happily pay for every single entry just to get that glimmer of happiness that they had when they were younger and playing the original during a time when they were carefree and happy. I just pray that they keep disregarding Final Fantasy VI, because if they do to that what they did to VII, I seriously don't think my heart could take it.

I just don't have a desire in most cases to pay to see something updated that I still have immediate access to. The only games that I have any desire to see updated are Persona: Revelations, and the Persona 2 duology, because although I still do annual playthroughs of those games every year, there are some core mechanics that have aged like milk that make them feel clunky to play. And then I start to think about how modern Persona is being handled, and I'm afraid that they'd turn those three original Persona games into generic high school harem simulators somehow, just to appease to modern Persona fans, so I'd just prefer that they were left alone entirely.
Wow, kinda agree with the last sentence though

Incoming essay!

I think a great and underappreciated port of an old game is Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It's a straight forward port with no added bells and whistles that was developed to run on new platforms. I do not agree with the price, but it's still a great example of what I wish other developers would do. Another example are Nightdive Studio's Quake and Quake II, as they add features that modernize the releases and makes it accessible to controller players who are less comfortable on mouse and keyboard. For being a predominantly multiplayer focused series, adding modern features such as matchmaking and lobbies further sets an example of how ports of classic games should be handled. Some people might take issue with the fact that they altered enemy behavior in the Quake games, but that was necessary as the old behavior and placement had become stale and predictable. I'm definitely looking forward to see if they do anything with Quake III Arena.

@Kannibal I doubt Nightdive will touch Quake III. It has a currently supported version on Steam with active player base. Still those Quake ports were very good, especially 2, but the fact they removed the old enemy behaviour from that one is a huge let down, as that means the original experience is unavailable to players still, and they need to go hunting for a source port.

Quake Enhanced on the other hand only altered enemy behaviour in Nightmare skill, which always sucked anyway.

After seeing gameplay of 2's remake, I really don't want 4
Incoming essay!

I have a lot to say about this too::agree

In my book remakes were done the best from the super famicom to the ps2
I used to like them, when they came out it was because with the new tecnology you could expand the original. Add more stuff, make the gameplay more complex or add elements from future games in the series, use the tecnology to give it a new look that stands on its own or to do stuff that wasn't possible before

Nowdays remakes are mostly so normies can play older games they dont know how to emulate/dont want to play cause they're old
They're just banking on the brand name

The gameplay is often homogenized so be similar to the standard big budget game so no one can get stuck or have to learn how to play it, it will all play like the last of us mixed with resident evil 4
Same camera, same controls, same photorealistic graphics, same lighting, same type of hollywood acting, same animations, sometimes changed character designs, in the worst cases censored, making it longer just because they think a short game = bad, same unskippable 3rd person slow down to talk, same generic interface

I hate it ::unhappy

Remakes I like would be something like Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Kirby Ultra Star Deluxe, Pokemon Heartgold\SS, Fire Red and LG, many of the psp ones, the super famicom dragon quest remakes (many sfc remakes in general), mario all star, Biohazard 1, Project Zero 2 Wii, Metroid Zero Mission, the final fantasy ones before 7, the Dragon Quest remakes on ds, mega man powered up (if it counts)...

Most of these simply use the tecnology used for the following entries, and apply it to the older games and add some stuff on top; or they use a new console to re do it in a slicker way, remakes used to be special to me but now I usually groan when a new one gets announced, hence this thread

Last edited:
I would love to have proper remasters/modern ports of TimeSplitters 2 and Future Perfect for modern PCs. The enhancement I want is mouse support, but I'll take anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

Ridge Racer Type 4. The game already looks great in HD on an emulator, but a new version can bring in the polish on HUD and proper widescreen support.

Unreal. The game could use some tighter mechanics. It honestly could look some air control so the platforming isn't arse. This is the #1 game that should've been handed to Nightdive Studios, but Epic decided to delist all games in the series instead. Happy 25th.

MAN, type 4 is so special with its story mode, it didnt need to make me motivated to win the 99 champtionship because I have to restore the honor of the pac man league because my coach had Giuliano die on the job and he still blames himself for it but gosh darn it it did!

GREAT soundtrack too, such stylish menus, such colorful enviroments, a track named after Klonoa's town...

They delisted Unreal?? But it's the game that MADE them!

Is there, like, a fan-produced decompilation of Unreal available somewhere, like Chocolate Doom or Aleph One? I'd love to play the game, but I don't actually know how I can get a copy of it.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back