PS1 PSX JRPG Mega Thread

So this doesn't include anything before Final Fantasy VII's release?

I'm a sucker for monster-collector style stuff.
Jade Cocoon was a rad time!
1726878056516.png

(minus the tank controls, lol)

it could do! lol, I worded it that way because JRPGs as a genre got super popular immediately after FF7 came out, XD
I would probably disagree somewhat with that. However, the conversation is about naming games, so I guess I'd have to mention Wild Arms. While not super unpopular, for a PlayStation exclusive, it barely got noticed next to Square's mountainous foothold in the RPG genre.

I'll be honest, I've probably played less than an hour of it when I was younger, but the 3D visual style and multiple camera angles in and out of battle (I'd never played an RPG outside of Pokémon at that time) really cemented itself in my memory.

Looking at it now, it's not super appealing. But even more reason for Sony to do either a decent remake of the first game as part of a trilogy, like Square have done with FF7, or do a complete remake collection of all three, with improved visuals and modern amenities.

I would probably disagree somewhat with that. However, the conversation is about naming games, so I guess I'd have to mention Wild Arms. While not super unpopular, for a PlayStation exclusive, it barely got noticed next to Square's mountainous foothold in the RPG genre.

I'll be honest, I've probably played less than an hour of it when I was younger, but the 3D visual style and multiple camera angles in and out of battle (I'd never played an RPG outside of Pokémon at that time) really cemented itself in my memory.

Looking at it now, it's not super appealing. But even more reason for Sony to do either a decent remake of the first game as part of a trilogy, like Square have done with FF7, or do a complete remake collection of all three, with improved visuals and modern amenities.
I've wanted to try Wild Arms, just never had the time.
A weird selling point fro me was that it got mentioned on GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka), lol :ROFLMAO:
TBH, I'm not even sure why that sweetens the deal for me, lol

Last edited:
I've wanted to try Wild Arms, just never had the time.
A weird selling point fro me was that it got mentioned on GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka), lol :ROFLMAO:
TBH, I'm not even sure why that sweetens the deal for me, lol
Like, I crap on it, but I'd still recommend it any day, if at least only because it's a Sony exclusive (last time I checked anyway).

Manga is always a good selling point.

I've played The Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Trigger, Wild Arms 1 and 2, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Enjoyed all of them.

exactly as it says on the tin, a thread for all the various JRPG games that came out on the original PlayStation following the blaze of glory that was Final Fantasy VII's release
During my late teens (a very short while ago), instead of doing something productive that would've landed me at a better spot than I'm at right now, I did a sort of binge/crash course of a selection of good JRPGs for the PSX. One that stood out was Xenogears!

xg.jpg

No hidden gem by any means, but for some reason it clicked in a way that no other game had at that point. I'm very cynical, mind you, and particularly disagree with this game's philosophy; and still, its story managed to captivate me, as it felt more engaged, riskier, darker than other games. The fact that
the quaint little village you started out at got absolutely destroyed as one of the first events to occur
was shocking, and so was the rest of the story. Or half of it, at least.

It's got one of the most disappointing finales of any JRPG, and it's a damn shame, because what it tells is of world-ending proportions, but it lacks the means to impact in the same way as Disc 1 did. I was so disappointed, I didn't even bother beating the final boss. As is usual with the overly-ambitious-video-game-from-the-late-90s genre, it got rushed into being just a brief glimpse at the face of God.

One of my favorite games of my childhood is Legend of Legaia, had a really unique battle system for the time with directional commands and really nice and flashy attacks. The USA version is really grindy and takes a lot of time to gain levels and money, but it was a blast to play.
Unfortunately the sequel was not up to par and the franchise died there.

1727193762099.png

Last edited:
guardianscru-1706383596502.jpg

Guardian's Crusade is an obscure but very well-regarded entry in what I'd call the "buddy RPG" genre, where the player has a partner character that grows and changes throughout the game (see also Okage: Shadow King on the PS2). The little blob creature next to the knight there is a virtual pet that you can feed items to and play with during the storyline. Depending on your choices, he'll do a variety of actions during battle – performing powerful attacks, healing you, or transforming into a friendly monster, etc. – and can gain new abilities for use in the overworld. You don't have any other party members, and he can turn on you if you mistreat him, so finding the right ways to raise him well throughout the standard JRPG jaunt is essential (and a huge part of the the fun).

The game also has an excellent presentation – the characters are extremely simple and cartoony (think Little Big Adventure), but have a ton of unique animations and personality in and out of battles. Like many PS1 RPGs, this game's storyline is a heavy parody of traditional role-playing adventures from the NES/SNES era, so there are plenty of laughs and cute moments to keep you moving forward. The tag-along monster is very endearing – it's essentially a boy and his pet story – as is the relationship between the player character and the little mom-fairy who's the third member of the team. I'm not really one for long-form JRPGs, but Guardian's Crusade is a welcome exception to that rule. (The soundtrack is also extremely rad.)

guardianscru-1706383596502.jpg

Guardian's Crusade is an obscure but very well-regarded entry in what I'd call the "buddy RPG" genre, where the player has a partner character that grows and changes throughout the game (see also Okage: Shadow King on the PS2). The little blob creature next to the knight there is a virtual pet that you can feed items to and play with during the storyline. Depending on your choices, he'll do a variety of actions during battle – performing powerful attacks, healing you, or transforming into a friendly monster, etc. – and can gain new abilities for use in the overworld. You don't have any other party members, and he can turn on you if you mistreat him, so finding the right ways to raise him well throughout the standard JRPG jaunt is essential (and a huge part of the the fun).

The game also has an excellent presentation – the characters are extremely simple and cartoony (think Little Big Adventure), but have a ton of unique animations and personality in and out of battles. Like many PS1 RPGs, this game's storyline is a heavy parody of traditional role-playing adventures from the NES/SNES era, so there are plenty of laughs and cute moments to keep you moving forward. The tag-along monster is very endearing – it's essentially a boy and his pet story – as is the relationship between the player character and the little mom-fairy who's the third member of the team. I'm not really one for long-form JRPGs, but Guardian's Crusade is a welcome exception to that rule. (The soundtrack is also extremely rad.)
I fell in love the moment I first rotated a camera & opened a chest.
It also has memorable events even for someone with poor memory like me~
Maybe due to replaying it to get all Living Toys & transformations.. this was my first time trying to get 100% completion in any game! next was Castlevania SOTN

Tales of Eternia (Tales Of Destiny II) was my introduction to the Tales series!
1727277345667.png

A beat 'em up JRPG that somehow made me grind the same move set !!!
Later I was confused for the name since Tales of Destiny 2 was released on PS2 🙄

You gotta understand that 3 Disc games were a gamble (for the same price could get you three different games were I used to live), to this day it was by far the best purchase since the adventure is worth it.
Imagine my surprise when I learned you could co-op using an in-game ring accessory!

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back