Modern Games Pet Peeves

You could have an entire debate on that particular battle system. "Free flow combat"
I've only liked it in batman, it's so limiting anywhere else, cause they just copy asylum it because it's an easy way to make something that's good enough for the average player. There's no ways to be creative or have your own playstyle
I dont know if assassins' creed counts as free flow, but MAN the ones I played (1 2 brotherhood) had awful combat, 1 was just "wait and press a button", 2 and B were "do that but also spam the one attack button"

And with batman it's very quick, it fits him, 2 made lots of improvements like focus hits, gadgets, multiple enemies attacking depending on difficulty, disabling any markers on hard mode, the huge enemy count, the fact it was mixed with stealth sections...

Pretty much post 2007 every youtuber or anglo internetian agreed "ps1 was never good what were they thinking"
Never heard that about the ps1. I always thought it was NES that was hated by pseuds on Youtube.
in italy it stayed very popular
Is there any resemblance of a retrogaming comunity there? I happen to know the language so it might be interesting to check that out

Never heard that about the ps1. I always thought it was NES that was hated by pseuds on Youtube.

Is there any resemblance of a retrogaming comunity there? I happen to know the language so it might be interesting to check that out
No that was better than jesus and mario 3 was the best game ever made along with ocarina of time

How in blazes do you know italian?
There certainly is but I dont know anyone, I can tell you MAME and the sega model 3 emulators are italian

I swear people like Kojima should just go to Hollywood and never come back
Hey Kojima is a movie nerd but his games are nothing like today's big budet stuff (granted I havent played mgs5 and death stranding); mgs 1 2 3 4 are all very mechanically complex, require a lot of strategy and figuring stuff out for yourself and any cutscene is skippable, it's nothing like the last of us

How in blazes do you know italian?
Ho vissuto qualche anno in Italia per motivi di studio. Fra i vari amici che mi sono fatto là non ho mai incontrato uno a cui piacessero i videogiochi retro, era già difficile trovare qualcuno a cui non piacessero solo GTA, CoD e giochi EA Sports
There certainly is but I dont know anyone, I can tell you MAME and the sega model 3 emulators are italian
That much I knew, it's as if these people they were hiding or something
Hey Kojima is a movie nerd but his games are nothing like today's big budet stuff (granted I havent played mgs5 and death stranding); mgs 1 2 3 4 are all very mechanically complex, require a lot of strategy and figuring stuff out for yourself and any cutscene is skippable, it's nothing like the last of us
Perhaps I was too hard on the guy, I just do not like his games after MGS3, expecially Death Stranding (also MGS4 being 50% cutscenes). As you said we mostly have Naughty Dog to blame for all "movie games" we see these days.

Ho vissuto qualche anno in Italia per motivi di studio. Fra i vari amici che mi sono fatto là non ho mai incontrato uno a cui piacessero i videogiochi retro, era già difficile trovare qualcuno a cui non piacessero solo GTA, CoD e giochi EA Sports

That much I knew, it's as if these people they were hiding or something

Perhaps I was too hard on the guy, I just do not like his games after MGS3, expecially Death Stranding (also MGS4 being 50% cutscenes). As you said we mostly have Naughty Dog to blame for all "movie games" we see these days.

Esatto, sono quasi tutti così. The ppl who are into arcade games or make emulators and restore cabinets are 40-50 :P
I take you're west european?

Yes 4 has a lot of em but they're all skippable and the game is as mechanically complex as ever, theres nothing close to the stuff I complained about

Yes it's all naughty dog's fault, not literally of course, but I describe every modern big budget game as a "the last of us clone"
I love this video

In no particular order:
  • Art direction
  • Story/narrative direction
  • Skin gambling
  • Pay to win
  • The obvious interact button prompts
  • Yellow paint markers, paint arrows, directional arrows, mission markers, etc.
  • Excessive amounts of DLC (usually it's content that should have already been in or is already in the game)
  • Generally anything with in-game payments and/or a storefront in-game.
  • Crafting (doesn't need to be in every game)
  • Open-world (few games need to be open-world, structured level design would be better)
  • Lack of unique mechanics
  • A game being placed in the stealth genre, when there is literally only one or two stealth mechanics in-game
  • Asset flips (typically from Unity or Unreal)
  • Games with puzzle's being laughably easy

Some of this has already been mentioned already, but these are my pet peeves.

In no particular order:
  • Art direction
  • Story/narrative direction
  • Skin gambling
  • Pay to win
  • The obvious interact button prompts
  • Yellow paint markers, paint arrows, directional arrows, mission markers, etc.
  • Excessive amounts of DLC (usually it's content that should have already been in or is already in the game)
  • Generally anything with in-game payments and/or a storefront in-game.
  • Crafting (doesn't need to be in every game)
  • Open-world (few games need to be open-world, structured level design would be better)
  • Lack of unique mechanics
  • A game being placed in the stealth genre, when there is literally only one or two stealth mechanics in-game
  • Asset flips (typically from Unity or Unreal)
  • Games with puzzle's being laughably easy

Some of this has already been mentioned already, but these are my pet peeves.

I didnt mention microtransactions and shitty dlc because saying they're bad is like saying the sky is blue
I was weirded out when I saw Nier Automata classified as open world because I associate the genre with bland maps and samey quests

Everything using the same engines is contributing to all games feeling and controlling the same

An actual puzzle in mainstream games is so rare, again because they're terrified at the thought of you getting stuck and not playing it to the end and buying the season pass

Another one is the protagonist commening on everything that happens instead of you filling in with your own thoughts; like I can tell you "When I saw the licker in resident evil 2 I went "HUH??" instead I played the remake at a friends house and leon says himself "what was that"; ruining the surprise too cause in 2 you can miss it or only see it with the corner of your eye as it is silent

Last edited:
They either copy God of War 2018 combat or Dark Souls combat.

What a wonderful time to be an action gamer.

*punches the wall and screams*

Of fucking course the silent hill 2 remake has a souls-like combat, thats what I want in a horror game
If I see that dodge one more time I'm gonna become the Joker

I also hate it how journalists seem allergic to any camera system that's not like tlou\souls, they always call it an "Improvement"; what happened to creative camera angles? Cinematography? Memorable shots? The whole thing with horror games used to be the camera is set so you dont clearly see where monsters are and you gotta use your ears

Last edited:
Of fucking course the silent hill 2 remake has a souls-like combat, thats what I want in a horror game
If I see that dodge one more time I'm gonna become the Joker

I also hate it how journalists seem allergic to any camera system that's not like tlou\souls, they always call it an "Improvement"; what happened to creative camera angles? Cinematography? Memorable shots? The whole thing with horror games used to be the camera is set so you dont clearly see where monsters are and you gotta use your ears
Which is why it's so dark. I do miss the old camera angles of horror games on the PS1 and PS2. Even non horror titles like that scene in FFVII where Sephiroth is in the basement of the Shinra Manor.

Which is why it's so dark. I do miss the old camera angles of horror games on the PS1 and PS2. Even non horror titles like that scene in FFVII where Sephiroth is in the basement of the Shinra Manor.
It's so damn cool how the camera at the beginning of silent hill 2 is set so it looks like something is watching you from behind the trees, even knowing theres nothing its so damn eerie; mixed with all the sound effects
1 has so many amazing angles, THE LIGHTHOUSE SPIRAL STARCASE MAN ITS SO COOL
The beginning in the alley, the school exit when you leave, it made me go "Games can do that??"

Outside of horror, games used to have CINEMATOGRAPHY, a specific style; now everything looks like a netflix show with the face zooming
Devil May Cry 1&3 are such joy to explore, aside from the enviroments the camera angles make em so memorable, they're carefully made so everything looks like a cool diorama\set, Haunting Ground too gosh the castle is so beautiful

I've also seen game jurnos compare stuff like sekiro and stellar balde saying their combat is like devil may cry; give me a break, there's nothing close to jump cancelling or royalguard or all the different knockback values for each attack you gotta learn for dante must die. They just look at any combo longer than 3 hits and go "dmc!"; even dmc1 with his simple combos has a lot of enemy variety and beheaviour. Each enemy has so many moves depending on your positioning and they have critical hits, you gotta learn the scoring system and game economy..

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back