Games you replayed a hundred times?

TrepieGroupie#1

Administrator
Staff member
CDR Curator
Ko-Fi Supporter
Reaction score
What's that game you replay again every once in a while?
I think for me it's SOTN and Metal Gear Solid.

I never adapted very well to modern MGS games, I love the simplicity of it.
SOTN is just fun to try weird things to do. It's the first game I move to every new device.

I'll ignore the multitude of shmups and fighting games that I innevitably return to in the hopes of completing 1cc runs or otherwise "getting gud" at - and I'll also ignore the many games I've had to revisit over the years for work - and instead focus on a couple comfort games that I tend to replay at least once a year!

Gitaroo Man is so short and sweet - it only takes about an hour to see it through from start to finish, and always cheers me up; such a silly little romp all about true love, the power of music, and working to achieve your dreams. Who could resist?

Whenever I'm sick and restricted to days recovering in bed (which happens more often that I'd like) I usually re-read The Hobbit, The Princess Bride, or Treasure Island because they're pretty cozy, swash-buckling adventures - and in that same vein I find myself returning to Chrono Trigger in those same periods of recovery. I'm not really swept up in the usual 16-bit console RPG swooning (sorry Lufia-heads; Rise of the Sinistrals kinda sucks), but the pacing and structure of CT are so TIGHT!?? it's a real breeze to run through, and with enough variety in terms of party and equipment loadouts to make a playthrough different enough from the last (at least to MY hazy, virus soaked brain).
-----
I think SotN is the sort of game that cries out to be replayed semi-regularly, and especially with it approaching the spooky season, it's as good a time as any to backdash through Dracula's castle yet again!

SOTN definitely, Long time ago I had stopped doing those replays that came from time to time... until I found out that the Saturn version had new content. Man I was the happiest guy when I discovered about that. I have been playing the damn thing since I was a kid and I just can't get enough out of it.

I had a lot of fun with MGSV and I must admit I have replayed it more than I should have. Other games I find myself replaying from time to time are RE4 and the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. Very entertaining games. Tony Hawk for n64 too ::biggrin

Every year for the past 20 years I replay Chrono Trigger. I've always loved the game since I played it as a child. There is something about the game that still stays fun and engaging every time I play it.

Every year for the past 20 years I replay Chrono Trigger. I've always loved the game since I played it as a child. There is something about the game that still stays fun and engaging every time I play it.
Ah yes, Chrono Trigger with its multiple endings (and its DS version with extra stuff) brings a lot of replayability. Hell I know a friend, who I showed the game, that beat Lavos without resurrecting Crono. mad man I tell ya! He said he didn't knew you could ::roflThat was one of the first games I emulated too, I loved Chrono Trigger and Cross. Beautiful games man, the best of SNES.

A little tradition of mine is that whenever I buy a new console, I'll immediately also download a version of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 for the Mega Drive on it, then play it through to completion (with all emeralds, of course). The first Sonic is a game I know inside and out, and it's always readily available, so it's a great way to test out controllers, display options, etc. In the past year alone, I've played through the Apple TV version, the one on this Genesis collection for PS4, and a Steam version to test out Big Picture mode on my new TV.

In fact, here's a full list of every legitimate, non-pirated version of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 I own, completely from memory:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (GBA) [This version is terrible.]
  • Sonic Classic Collection (DS)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3D (3DS)
  • Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PSP/Vita)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (iOS Remake on iPhone)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (iOS Remake on Apple TV)
  • SEGA Genesis Collection (PC)
  • SEGA Genesis Collection (PS4)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (M2 Remake on Nintendo Switch)
  • Sonic Origins (PS4) [This version is terrible, and I only bought the collection for easy access to the Game Gear games.]
  • Sonic Generations (PC) [Unlockable after beating the main game.]

I've replayed these games pretty consistently over the years
  • Pokemon Red
  • .Hack
  • Dragon Quest 1 - 5
  • Shin megami Tensei I
  • Suikoden 2

i recomplete metal gear solid at least once every year, it's almost a comfort game for me at this point.
i've had a similar relationship with several other games, doom 1 is still one i play very often, either at nightmare difficulty or with mods, even kirby adventure and the first legend of zelda are ones i pick up ever so often.

I do a playthrough of Might and Magic 6+7 about every six months or so as a unofficial tradition, I don't think they'll ever get old for me. I also play some choice arcade games whenever I get some downtime; Metal Slug, Shock Troopers and Streets of Rage 2 are usually my go to's I'll play whenever.

Other than those, definitely the Dark Alliance series which I always do a run through of at least once a year probably. Great games, currently going through 2 with the Monk right now. Oh, and I guess I should also include Resident Evil 5; I have probably beaten it like 50+ times on every system it's released on most likely and I think I could probably play through it in my sleep at this point.

to this day im still playing through the entire resident evil series ( excluding RE6 ) trying to beat my old times over and over on all difficulties.
also mario party series, burnout revenge, pokemon stadium 1 and 2, and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2

to this day im still playing through the entire resident evil series ( excluding RE6 ) trying to beat my old times over and over on all difficulties.
also mario party series, burnout revenge, pokemon stadium 1 and 2, and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
I thoroughly enjoy Resident Evil 6, but I also turn my brain off when I play it and laugh at its ridiculousness as I go. What's your favourite RE? It depends on the day for my favourite, but it's probably between OG2, OG4 or 5 (though the remakes for the first two are still amazing games obviously).

the 2nd one is my favorite and it was the first one i played. and the outbreak series. and Code Veronica. its hard to pick one lol 5 is good when you have someone else with ya. the AI gets to me most of the time, 4 was goated even the remake, 3 Nemesis ialso a great one

Shining Force. Love playing it beginning to end.
Max deals the final blow.jpg

When I could, I finished my favorite X Box and X Box 360 games 2 or 3 times a year: Halo 1 and 2, Mercenaries, GTA 4, Mirror's Edge, Ghost Recon.
Today I regularly replay Axelay and lots of arcade shmups like Strikers 1945 and 1945 II and 1945 Plus, Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker, Great Mahou Daisakusen/Dimahoo, Gunbird 2, 19XX, DoDonPachi.
Also Doom PS1.

I've pretty much exhausted Earthbound/MOTHER 2 with yearly replays. It just truly feels like home to me.
There's also some others like Area 88 (Arcade), Adventure Island, Cotton (PCE), Puyo Puyo 2, Sonic 2, Bionic Commando, Gradius which I revisit quite often, even if its not for full playthroughs.

Diablo 3 eternal
Suikoden series especially suikoden 2 and suikoden v
rogue galaxy

1727697090988.png

I'm this close to a 1 credit clear

1727697144973.png

100%ed it, anyone else who did it knows how much of a grueling task it is

Soldier Blade on PC Engine has been my comfort game for a pretty long while now. I'll load it up and see how far I can get with a single life. I think I'm very close to getting a 1CC but I don't want to ruin the experience by going through the rest of the game after I run out of stock. I'm doing the same with Dragon Spirit and Raiden, also on PC Engine. I'm so used to brute forcing my way to the ending of many games that when I replay some of them, all I associate them with is wanting to get them over with.

Wipeout 3: Special Edition.
I never get bored of it. It's so perfectly refined and has so much content that I keep going back time after time.

I also keep going back to the Road Rash games every now and again, plus various JRPG's.

Last edited:
I'm ashamed to admit this but i was addicted to Diablo 2 for 20 years
until Blizzard ruined it by destroying game mechanics and our pvp community along with it
anyway i go back to the old dead servers sometimes and play it alone
its kinda sad tbh

Mainly Sonic games like Generations. But I also used to love replaying some anime games like Naruto Storm 4. The Dark Souls series too.

Syphon Filter 1 and 2. Silent Hill 1 and 2. Any game in the God of War series. Doom 1 and 2. A lot of games that just hold up well are great to replay no matter how advanced gaming gets.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back