Bang! The FPS Megathread

Gorse

Young Hero
Reaction score
Hot off the heels of the PSX JRPG thread comes this one about everyone's favourite genre: rooty-tooty-point-and-shooties! What's your top first-person shooter, and why do you like it so much? Any recommendations for the class? Do you prefer single-player boomer shooters or multiplayer millennial munchers? Mark your answer with a bullet in the replies below!

Personally, I'm a sucker for late-90s 3D shooters with a sci-fi flair. My two favourite titles are the original Half-Life (+ Opposing Force and Blue Shift) and System Shock 2, but I'm also very partial to the original Marathon. I like games where you're trapped in a dark, secluded space, completely alone save for millions of bloodthirsty aliens that crave your trachea as their midday luncheon. If you know of any other neat titles that suit this vibe, do drop a line!

On the multiplayer side of things, Team Fortress 2 is one of my favourite games ever – I have a ton of good memories on maps like 2fort, Turbine, and Dustbowl, and seeing Meet The Pyro immediately after it came out is an extremely-cherished adolescent memory. I also (and please don't pass this around, or you'll ruin my hipster cred) enjoyed Call of Duty: Warzone in its heyday as a fast and frenetic battle royale, and got quite a bit of fun from the Paladins beta in the late 2010s. All of these games come recommended from me!

Serious Sam (yes, all of them).

I have played so much of the series that I don't even think I can rationally argue in its favour anymore, they just are my life now.

The console versions are...fine. I'd say they're better than they get credit for, but the PC versions are the way to go. Especially a high powered PC, 'cause those enemies are going to start piling up, and the performance is gonna take a hit.

People have compared the gameplay and combat to Smash TV, which I do agree to some extent, but I feel the level design mixes up a lot more than the twin stick game (as it would have to).

The energy of the game is basically like a Looney Tunes cartoon. While Sam Stone's personality is compared to Duke Nukem's, I feel like the tone of the characters in Serious Sam is way more goofy, and for me that's a good thing. It's an attitude that doesn't ever date, because it was never cool to begin with.

I wanna also point out that the HD versions of the first two games we're Devolver Digital's first foray into the game industry (a little under three years before Hotline Miami to be exact). But, still to this day, I'd always recommend the originals, with their simplified textures.

...So I still haven't said what I like about it. I dunno, the fast gun-blasting combat, the massive open arena-style levels, the ingenious enemy design (I'm looking at you headless kamikaze), the adrenaline-fuelling soundtrack, all boiling up to some memorably tough bosses (at least some of them are).

Thing is, it's repetitive...realllly repetitive. If you play one level, you've basically played them all, the saving grace being that it's quite short, ending in approximately 4-6 hours. I feel like it's the doom 1 and 2 idea of "it's the same thing, but the levels are different, so it's perfect". Also, don't go in expecting a story. Yeah, there were absolutely fps games during the same era with brilliant stories, but this was deliberately a response to the genre moving to a more story-focused direction, by having just you, essentially a sandbox, and a bucket load of enemies...

...and I mean a bucket load. It's not uncommon for 30 enemies+ at a time to try and get all up in your face. So how is that fair? Simple really, the game give you lots of guns too. Enemies are fairly weak (on lower difficulties) and you can blow them to smithereens quite easily, which means it's going to be a lot of explosions and body parts flying around.

The long and short of my love for this game is this; if you want a deep, atmospheric and meaningful shooting game, then don't get this (I mean, still do, but whatever). If you want to shoot everything that moves and blow the ever-loving shit out of stuff for a weekend, then why are you still reading this? Go, buy. Then check out the fan mods.

...I don't know if there is a character limit on this site, but it may be a good idea to look in to...

duke nukem doesn't hold a candle to

Attachments

• ucUQp1uFsbApCxHIuBkxRMw7wBSByAb20hWMrmIyj80_350x200_2x-0.jpeg
    ucUQp1uFsbApCxHIuBkxRMw7wBSByAb20hWMrmIyj80_350x200_2x-0.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 12
Half Life Series is just that good, even the VR one
I wonder how Half Life 3 would look like
Also I think Unreal Tournament deserve a shout, I suddenly remember it after seeing this post

I really can't go past Exhumed/Powerslave on the Saturn, Quake and DOOM. I'll revisit them time and time again.

I also love Heretic & Hexen. Not the biggest fan of either of the sequels, though.

Zero Tolerance is also an absolute favourite. It has a unique vibe, I love the music and sound, and the visual design/colours are tops.

I dug Unreal Tournament, but I grew up with the average Dreamcast version. I much prefer the PC originals now, but I have a soft spot still for UT DC. In the same vein, my original Half-Life 2 experience was the OG Xbox. I played that many times over, it blew my mind.

Also, I never had them at the time, but in more recent times, I really adore the Nightdive Turok remasters.

And I have also loved every Halo game by Bungie.

Unreal Tournament on PC was my first FPS. I had to play it windowed mode in 320x240 resolution and even then the game ran at 30FPS on my underpowered family PC at the time. I love single-player shooters the most. Syphon Filter was my first third person shooter and I play it annually (1 and 2). I'm a sucker for the genre and just love the games feeling good. It doesn't really have to have a good story. Postal: Brain Damaged is a surprisingly great boomer shooter and right now I'm playing through Warhammer: Boltgun.

akumajobelmont said:
Zero Tolerance is also an absolute favourite. It has a unique vibe, I love the music and sound, and the visual design/colours are tops.
I had this on my SEGA Genesis! I played the hell out of it, but never beat it. There was a cancelled sequel called "Beyond Zero Tolerance" with an accompanying prototype ROM floating around.

BinaryMessiah said:
Unreal Tournament on PC was my first FPS.
Same! For me it was Unreal GOTY and it was around when UT 2004 was popping off. I got a computer somewhat later than most families and was always 5 years behind on specs. 😅

I'm sure some of you can guess my favorite FPS by my signature. 😂

what's the general feeling FPS players have with Deadlock? i'm not a big fan of MOBA's but Valve really went and made the FPS mechanics feel real solid and pretty fun and i find myself going back to the game at least once a week for a fix. integrating a player submitted hero build list right into the game was also a cool af side feature i never thought would get me back into playing some MOBA's again too

ALLGASNOBRAKE said:
what's the general feeling FPS players have with Deadlock?
I have mixed feelings. One one hand, it is really addictive and generally pretty fun. On the other, I hate learning and memorizing builds for every season and I hate playing sweaty. I mostly play bots, just to get that MOBA fix out of the way, but anything more gives me League of Legends flashbacks. I think it needs a major balance patch, there are some heroes that are just unbelievable.

Last edited:
what's the general feeling FPS players have with Deadlock?
It's a pretty good action moba, but hardly a shooter in my eyes. At first glance you'd think it'd be a fairly aim-dependent game due to all the movement mechanics given to the player, it's just really not. Even Gigantic is far more of a shooter- a good chunk of your mindset for improving at that game is left thinking about how to better hit your shots, despite sticking pretty strong to the moba formula. Can't really say the same about Deadlock in the slightest. Even the 'race to shooting spirits' mechanic for example, as you'd imagine would be there to bring the competitive shooters something to grasp at; ends up being pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of battles.

That said, as a moba it's really found its place in the genre. Even once the hot interest on the game dies off, I'd imagine it'd be a really popular game to stay. It's creative, stylish despite the early assets, all while still feeling good and responsive to play. Even if you can probably just play it with your mouse on your leg or on a trackpad or something.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back