What are your favorite romhacks?

i really like the moemon hacks for pokemon, such cute sprite work!
Touhoumon World Link is a pokemon emerald hack. it's hard has heck. there's no way going finish the first gym with the touhou you got. this game is a grind fest.

Touhoumon World Link is a pokemon emerald hack. it's hard has heck. there's no way going finish the first gym with the touhou you got. this game is a grind fest.
ah yes i have played touhoumon as well! i am a 2hu oldhead so was really excited to play it!

you should try puppet play too if you have not, its really good~

Secret of Mana Turbo is a must for me whenever I decide to revisit the game, just fixes so many of the minor issues I have with that game. I also really like Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 4 surprisingly, I've kinda fallen out of love with arena fighters but having all the Super characters in a nostalgic game like BT3 is just appealing to me.

I'd also like to try out the real famous classic FF romhacks at some point like Brave New World, Enterprise and 1's randomizer.

I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy VI T - Edition + EX. Massive overhaul of nearly every aspect of an already great game, plus whole new systems added and the EX challenge bosses very difficult frosting on an amazing cake of a ROM hack.
yeaaah i just finishid final fantasy vi recently because that mod helped me.

i really like a sonic hack called hellfire saga. I didn't recognize the games that most of the new sprites and tiles were borrowed from, so it really looked like a brand new game. They changed sonic's design a little bit too, to fit the new ones, make everything cohesive. And the story is just like sonic has gone to hell etc, it could be really silly but its well made

communist mario is funny too

Probably the most basic answer you'll hear, but the ongoing Tecmo Super Bowl hacks are my fav. I'm a football nut so having the updated rosters and playing as my favorite players/teams in a game I've loved since childhood is special to me. Never gets old.

Any rom hacks that manage to nearly fully overhaul a game into something entirely different are on the top of my list

I've been interested in a bunch of Fire Emblem Rom Hacks lately
like this one?

VCbOeM.png
7KfC4U.png

The super metroid romhacks are something else. Subversion is pretty good, Escape II too although i could never get past the boss rush at the end.

Super Mario 64: Beyond the cursed mirror is so high quality that i couldn't stop playing. It has a few things that clash very hard against the overall design of the hack but it's ok, nothing that really drags down the game.

Rockman Gaiden is a very interesting megaman 1 romhack. The hack has some strange things that i don't know if they are bugs or design choices but overall, it's an enjoyable experience. Until you reach wily stage 2 or 3 (don't remember which one) because i'm 100% sure that level wasn't tested and it's impossible to beat without cheats. Megaman Reloaded is very good too.
Hyper Metroid is really good!

While I'm not a big Nintendo 64 player, my favorite romhacks are for the N64. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 freem edition translates the game into English and adds a ton of characters. Smash Remix adds and ports features and original content. These two romhacks demonstrate the potential of the community when left alone by large corporations.

There's also a romhack for Mario Kart 64 in a similar style, but I don't enjoy it much unless I'm playing with others because the game feels shallow when racing against the CPU.

Hello! everyone
In this thread, you can share your favorite romhacks (and you can put a link so that others can download the romhacks, but you don't have to).

One of my favorite romhacks is "Shotgun Mario 64"! It's funny to demolish Mario 64 characters 😈

Mine has to be Pokémon Sacred Gold, I know there are romhacks that entirely convert Pokémon games with new stories, monsters and locations, but Sacred Gold improves the Gen 2 remakes so much it's insane. It features new and more challenging battles and pokémon, more pokémon are available in locations they weren't in before. I literally had a Shellder, a Ralts, a Larvitar and an Eevee before the first gym! I lvoe it

Street-Fighter-II-Rainbow-Edition-e1486764698404.png

Going to have to go with all the bootleg hacks of Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. Gas stations and laundromats here in the states had all these "rainbow" bootlegs and absolutely nobody at school believed you when you tried to describe what the hell was going on until they found one themselves.

View attachment 831

Going to have to go with all the bootleg hacks of Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. Gas stations and laundromats here in the states had all these "rainbow" bootlegs and absolutely nobody at school believed you when you tried to describe what the hell was going on until they found one themselves.
I absolutely love Rainbow edition. When playing against someone, you just never truly knew where the match was going until it was over.

Mine has to be Pokémon Sacred Gold, I know there are romhacks that entirely convert Pokémon games with new stories, monsters and locations, but Sacred Gold improves the Gen 2 remakes so much it's insane. It features new and more challenging battles and pokémon, more pokémon are available in locations they weren't in before. I literally had a Shellder, a Ralts, a Larvitar and an Eevee before the first gym! I lvoe it
Have you tried Pokemon Gaia or Pokemon Uranium?

My favorite romhack is the extremely old (like 2001 or so.) one for the SNES Earthbound called Jonbound: Dark Future. It changes almost all of the text, and does a lot of really impressive pallete swapping. It makes it more of a laugh out loud comedy(and unlike most romhack comedies, it's mostly a bunch of clever jokes with a bunch of set-ups, and pay offs.) I can't recommend it enough.

Have you tried Pokemon Gaia or Pokemon Uranium?
Only Uranium. I remember enjoying it, but it has been like 5 years since I last played it, so I might pull out Virtual Box and find a copy.
Gonna play it sometime in December, since I wanna tackle Dragon Age Origin and Metaphor: ReFantazio first. Never heard of Gaia, gonna look it up.

Only Uranium. I remember enjoying it, but it has been like 5 years since I last played it, so I might pull out Virtual Box and find a copy.
Gonna play it sometime in December, since I wanna tackle Dragon Age Origin and Metaphor: ReFantazio first. Never heard of Gaia, gonna look it up.
I only played the demo of Pokemon Gaia but the full game of Pokemon Uranium.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back