What are your favorite romhacks?

i've been enjoying nes romhacks i found on cdromance, especially metroid rogue down and zelda ancient dungeons.
the castlevania ones are a good play too.

A simple one I love: the one that fixes the brick collision in super mario all stars

Seriously why did they make it different? Was it a bug?

I really like romhacks that are just unquestionable improvements to the base game. What comes to mind immediately for me is Super Mario Land DX and Land 2 DX. They fully colorize the game, fix a bunch of bugs, and both games add Luigi as a playable character. It's kind of sad how most people, when going to revisit these games, will probably play the originals on NSO even though they're a worse experience.

I really like romhacks that are just unquestionable improvements to the base game. What comes to mind immediately for me is Super Mario Land DX and Land 2 DX. They fully colorize the game, fix a bunch of bugs, and both games add Luigi as a playable character. It's kind of sad how most people, when going to revisit these games, will probably play the originals on NSO even though they're a worse experience.
OMG, I forgot all about that! SML2 DX is beyond stellar.

TBH I saw that on CDR and thought it was one of those bootleg games like Somari, but I'm going through their website and it looks really cool.

AM2R is one of my favorite romhacks. It's a must play for every Metroid fan.
I agree! I played it on my hacked vita (RIP) and I was impressed by how polished it was. Definitely my favorite metroid game (though I've only played that, zero mission, and most of super metroid)

Usually i like the ones the improve the standard game without breaking it.
DX gb? YES
Qol? YES
Design choises fixed? Oh, yes!
I actually tend to stay away from the ones that change design choices, especially if I haven't played the game before. It just feels like too big a leap into being its own thing instead of being the original just better. The exception is when the original design choice is really bad, like RPGs with abysmal EXP rates.

The super metroid romhacks are something else. Subversion is pretty good, Escape II too although i could never get past the boss rush at the end.

Super Mario 64: Beyond the cursed mirror is so high quality that i couldn't stop playing. It has a few things that clash very hard against the overall design of the hack but it's ok, nothing that really drags down the game.

Rockman Gaiden is a very interesting megaman 1 romhack. The hack has some strange things that i don't know if they are bugs or design choices but overall, it's an enjoyable experience. Until you reach wily stage 2 or 3 (don't remember which one) because i'm 100% sure that level wasn't tested and it's impossible to beat without cheats. Megaman Reloaded is very good too.

I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy VI T - Edition + EX. Massive overhaul of nearly every aspect of an already great game, plus whole new systems added and the EX challenge bosses very difficult frosting on an amazing cake of a ROM hack.

I think my favorite are the ones that fix bugs and oversights in the original release. There's one for Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrow that fixes the glitched luck stat to make it work as intended. It makes soul grinding a lot more manageable. I also like the "single player" Pokemon hacks that make it possible to complete the pokedex without needing to trade for version exclusives as well as giving alternate means of obtaining trade evolutions. They are especially handy as it's increasingly difficult to find friends who still play the older generations of Pokemon to trade with.

I was absolutely hooked by Mario's Zap & Dash, I don't know if I would consider it my favorite but it's definitely up there for me at the moment. I haven't even played the source material nor am I even good at this hack, but good lord is it gorgeous.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back