Hidden Gem SMT:Devil survivor The BEST SMT game that people forgot about

SI_3DS_ShinMegamiTenseiDevilSurvivorOverclocked_image1600w.jpg

Introduction​

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is a tactical JRPG developed by ATLUS for the Nintendo DS. Like other SMT games, you assume the role of a silent protagonist tasked with resolving a disaster caused by demons (more on that in the story section). There is also an extended version of the game, titled Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked for the 3DS, which features voice acting and additional story content. Unlike Persona and the mainline SMT games, I believe this title didn’t receive the attention it deserves, despite being arguably one of the best in the franchise.

Story​

The game is set in modern-day Tokyo, where you play as a high school student planning to hang out with friends. One of your friends, Atsuro, obtains COMPs from your cousin. Which is a device that, surprise surprise, summons demons. Shortly after, Tokyo goes into lockdown by government order due to a demon infestation, leaving you and your friends to survive amidst the chaos. Utilizing your COMPs, you must navigate this disaster. The game features multiple endings, each offering a unique "solution" to the demon invasion. The game gives you every possible solution you can think of in that situation; unlike the forced Chaos or Law endings in other SMT games, the routes relate to the characters, meaning you must maintain good relationships with certain characters to unlock specific endings. The story unfolds over seven days(With the Overclocked version adding a day to some endings), during which you encounter various characters whose fates hinge on your decisions. Meaning that Characters can die in this game, so you have to be careful. What i like about the story is how it captures the human nature during disasters and how different profiles react to certain conditions. Different characters have different goals and priorities. Some simple and personal, some looking at the big picture and so on. This makes your 7 days journey a very interesting one, and you're bound to connect to some characters
7srn0biezbm51.jpg
devilsurvivor3ds_screens_10.jpg

BTW Atsuro is The Best Bro in the entirety of SMT universe

Gameplay​

The gameplay of Devil Survivor is divided into two parts: story progression and battles.
Story Progression
In the story progression segment, you have the entire day to spend as you wish, aside from main story points. Throughout the day, you can allocate 30 minutes to talk to specific characters, witness events, or engage in event-related battles (there are also free battles that don’t consume time). The way you manage your time can unlock or lock certain routes, so it's essential to assist characters whose values align with yours.
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194235.png

Battle System​

The battle system is the highlight of the game, it's intuitive, engaging, and divided into two phases. Each character can lead a party of up to two demons, resulting in a formation of Demon – Character – Demon

with a maximum of four parties on the field. Demons can be obtained through auctions where you bid against other players or bots (if you're offline). They become available in the auction after defeating them in battle or progressing in the story. You can also fuse demons, which depends on the protagonist's level.
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194310.png

You can select which to demon to bid on from the auction, the starts represent how good the demon is (basically how many skills he is already learned)

Each demon possesses three active skills (basic attacks like fire spells, physical attacks, buffs, debuffs, healing, etc.), three passive skills (which change stats like increasing attack or defense), and one race skill (exclusive to that demon race). The human characters have Auto Skills that activate automatically, such as auto-heal or auto-defense boosts. Each character and demon has affinities to various attributes: weak (takes more damage), resist (takes less damage), null (negates damage), repel (reflects damage), and drain (heals instead of taking damage).
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194358.png

Like other tactical RPGs, battles occur in a top-down grid-based battlefield. Before battles begin, you can select which parties to deploy and their positions on the field. You can also assess enemy positions and affinities, helping you strategize accordingly.
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194434.png

A feature called Skill Crack allows humans to obtain new skills. This involves "stealing" skills from enemy demons. To use Skill Crack, you must select a party and target an enemy, and only the chosen party can steal that skill. Once obtained, the skill can be used by any character from a skill catalog, but only the character that cracked the skill can access it immediately during the fight. Using a skill requires meeting specific stat thresholds.
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194417.png

Here every one aims for Holy Strike, but you can choose different targets

After preparing and selecting your skills, you enter battle, where you take turns moving characters on the grid to initiate attacks against enemies. The turn order depends on the agility of your party and previous actions taken. During this phase, characters can summon demons, use healing and resurrection skills (which consume MP), and utilize race skills to enhance movement and attack capabilities. Race skills can significantly alter the outcome of battles, so leveraging them strategically is crucial.
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194454.png

The Top bar represents the turn order and here macabre race skills allows him to stop enemy's movement

The second phase involves turn-based combat, where attacks initiate battles between selected parties. Each member of both parties typically gets one turn to act, but can gain additional turns by exploiting enemy weaknesses or landing critical hits. Since a single turn can change the tide of battle, you must be cautious to avoid exposing your party's weaknesses. If the leader of A party dies the entire party loses(Your demons don't die and that doesn't apply on the enemy). But beating the leader first doesn't give you as much EXP as the beating every party member individually before the leader, so be wary of that (that doesn't concern the enemy, so be careful).
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194617.png

You can customize your human characters’ attacks and passives before battles, allowing for strategic planning against enemy types.
Battles in Devil Survivor are both punishing and rewarding. With the right build, you can defeat a boss in two turns, while going into battle unprepared can lead to a swift defeat. The flexibility in battle mechanics keeps players engaged and mentally stimulated.

Presentation​

The graphics in Devil Survivor align with what you would expect from a DS game—pixelated sprites with limited animations. While improvements could be made, especially in the turn-based sections, they still convey the story effectively through typical visual novel elements and top-down battle graphics. Overall, it meets the expectations for a DS RPG. The characters design pretty good in my opinion, and they did a good job at making every character visually pleasing and unique ,though some might disagree just my opinion tho I like the Artist work tbh. He also worked on some Digimon games.

Replayability​

Having a different ending really gives the game a replayability value. With each route being very unique and changes the story content of day 7 and can even give you another day in the Overclocked version. Also remember when I mentioned that some characters might die and how it can affect story progression. Well, you can also try different decisions and routes and see what unfolds. Also after every run you get titles depends on the achievements you made during your run which in turns give you points that you can use to buy stuff that will help you in the next run. For example, you can buy all your skills back or carry over some demons.Also, you can unlock secret bosses and demons using those points. All in all the game have a very good replayability value and the good gameplay makes it even worth it
Screenshot 2024-09-26 194006.png

Conclusion​

Devil Survivor is an excellent game with a compelling and intuitive gameplay experience, which is why I’ve elaborated on it at length. I aimed to keep this review concise while highlighting the crucial aspects of the game. I refrained from delving deeply into the story to avoid spoilers; it's best experienced firsthand. The only notable downside is the bare-bones graphics, which is why I hope for a remaster or remake in the future. Nevertheless, it remains a highly enjoyable game. I would love to discuss the story further, but I want to avoid spoiling anything for potential players.

Pros
  • + Engaging Story
  • + Rewarding and challenging gameplay
  • + Characters are very interesting
  • + Many Ending Options
Cons
  • - Bare-bones Graphics
  • - Still locked on DS and 3DS
Gameplay
Best tactical RPG I've ever played
Graphics
I know i said that the graphics are Bare-bones, but It's still good for a DS game
Story
Story is very good, there is an Ending I liked very much that I felt like a badass
Sound
Kinda good music I'm not really into music that much, so I really don't have much of an opinion
Replayability
A lot of bosses to challenge and endings to discover
out of 10
Overall
A fantastic video game with an engaging story and superb gameplay that can keep you hooked for hours. Unfortunately, the graphics are quite simple, which might deter new audiences from discovering this hidden gem.
Last edited:
This a banger of a review.
I'd also not played this one. Gonna give it a shot based off this.
Good job!
Rock on! 🤘

I thought the game was ok. I get why a lot of people like it and I did finish it, but I still thought it was trying too hard to be FF tactics. I prefer my SMT classic and my TRPGs to also be classic. But I'm just an angry old man tbf.

I thought the game was ok. I get why a lot of people like it and I did finish it, but I still thought it was trying too hard to be FF tactics. I prefer my SMT classic and my TRPGs to also be classic. But I'm just an angry old man tbf.
Naaah FF tactics and DeSu are margins apart
I mean the only thing similar is the grid based view and that's literally it.But I can get what you're coming from I mean FF tactics revolutionized the genre and it feels like everyone hopped on the bandwagon.tho imo DeSu is more enjoyable experience

i'm a big persona fan but i have to play this some more. i wish it would come on current systems....

i'm a big persona fan but i have to play this some more. i wish it would come on current systems....
You can always emulate
My first playthrough was on my phone
Though fr we need a remaster or rerelease of sort .game is too good to just stuck on DS

You can always emulate
My first playthrough was on my phone
Though fr we need a remaster or rerelease of sort .game is too good to just stuck on DS
call me crazy i found my old 3DS emulator with this game on it with a save. just wish it did not have 3 save slots....

call me crazy i found my old 3DS emulator with this game on it with a save. just wish it did not have 3 save slots....
Nice ,now that's a sign to complete it
If u playing on emu here is some stuff I use to make the game better ,
U can assign a button that speed up the game which can speed up the movement and skirmishes it can reduce playtime with no downside except for the music (I prompt it to my L2 in my controller)
Also use save states it helps if you wanna see different interactions and if you don't wanna wait the loading when losing I use L3 for save state and R3 for load (but always save in game )
The game most of the time happens on the touchscreen side of the 3ds the other one mostly shows just the stats
So you can make the touchscreen bigger and the other one smaller to the side and assign a button to switch between the screens if needed
Hope u enjoy it

it's going be added to my back log list. i got so many games on there...

Game Cover

Game Info

• Game: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  • Publisher: Atlus
  • Developer: Atlus
  • Genres: Tactical JRPG
  • Release: 2009

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics