Parasite Eve II: Double Aya Brea, Double the Fun

0865a2682d751a58d08b2773a65bc047.png

To Resident Evil, Or Not to Resident Evil​

Resident Evil significantly established the benchmark for survival horror games and 3D gaming in general. Games were still trying to figure everything out. Camera angles, movement, pacing, and combat. It was up to these developers to pioneer 3D games for the next 20 years. Parasite Eve may have been a short-lived franchise, but it made a lot of advancements in the 3D action/survival horror genre that Resident Evil was quickly trying to dominate. Despite its late PS1 release, this game felt ahead of its time, even though I haven’t played the first one.

The story is surprisingly simple to follow and fairly interesting. As a MIST agent, Aya Brea, you embark on a journey to the Nevada desert and the town of Dryfield. Here, your mission is to devise a permanent solution to halt the NMC (Neo-Mitrocondira Creatures). There is a lot more to the game. You also start out in a mall in Los Angeles. There are a couple of twisty endings, and the story is well-told and easy to follow. There isn’t really any voice-acting due to space constraints. The visuals alone explain why the game spans two discs.

This is one of the more difficult bosses

The game has both RPG and action-combat elements. There are plenty of weapons and magic to use, and the game is a tight balance of the two. This is also the era in which missing a key item could make the game artificially more difficult, so I suggest playing the game on easy the first time with a guide and then doing a New Game Plus on your own. Despite the game’s linear structure, the vagueness of your objectives could lead to many missed or lost opportunities. At times, your map displays the locations of your objectives, while others do not. You can pull up the help in the map menu to see Aya give you a single hint; sometimes that’s also enough, and other times it still leaves you clueless. There are only a couple of puzzles in the game, but there is still a lot of item hunting. You need to find key items that not only advance the story but also optionally unlock new weapons or items to aid you.

Parasite Eve II‘s combat is surprisingly excellent for the time. 3D movement is tank-based, but it feels more fluid thanks to better camera angles than most games in this genre. There is an auto-lock system with a large reticle that you can easily swap between enemies. The game is fairly smart and usually picks the enemy closest to you, but not always. You can fire rounds off, and reloading happens when your clip reaches zero. Secondary attachments on some weapons can stun enemies or deal massive damage. These all cost money, and it’s imperative that you acquire the best weapons as early as possible; however, this becomes a juggling act with inventory vs. your attachments. You need to upgrade your armor to increase your attachments, but you can also find small pouches on the field. You should always have a single weapon in hand and equip at least one other. It’s good to know what types of enemies are in the area to be able to balance this just right.

Weapons vary, from pistols to shotguns, assault rifles, grenade launchers, and attachments that help you miss and match. You can equip an M4A1 assault rifle with the AS1S shotgun attachment, allowing you to combine both types of weapons without requiring two inventory slots. However, you must acquire precious BP by killing enemies to purchase these attachments. Bosses give the most, but it’s important to kill everything around you so you can get as much BP and EXP as possible to level up your powers. There aren’t random battles or respawning enemies, but opponents will spawn in the same area after each objective is complete. Harder enemies start popping up, as well as more of them, so it’s really important to know their weaknesses and what weapons and magic attacks work best. Some will attack you in swarms, so stun attacks are best for these enemies. You can’t move around much, so make sure you really get the hang of the combat system.

Magic is interesting, as you will use it for stronger enemies and large groups. As you level up, you acquire new magic in different categories. You can level up Fire, Earth, Wind, and Necro magic to a maximum of three per power, and utilize the magic wheel to activate these powers. This requires MP, so you will need to boost your MP to use it in combat. You should equip some key items instead of using them, as they can significantly increase attack damage and even magic. Therefore, it’s crucial to utilize a guide during your initial playthrough, as inadvertent use of these items, such as boosting a magic point by one level or similar effects, can result in waste. While you can’t use an auto lock-on (the game pauses when in the magic wheel), magic is incredibly useful for bosses. Green vector lines indicate the path, and enemies will flash green to indicate potential hits.

8474284-parasite-eve-ii-screensh.jpg

The map system is rather useful. Rooms in red mean there are enemies in that room, and once they are all defeated, it will not be red anymore. When you initiate combat, the screen briefly turns white and you hear the sound of a heartbeat. Sometimes, if the enemy doesn’t see you yet, you can quickly change weapons, heal, or do back attacks that cause more damage. Aya automatically reloads after clearing all enemies in the room, and your winnings window appears. Item drops are incredibly rare. They only become more common when you start fighting the game’s most powerful enemies, the GOLEMS, towards the last fourth of the game on the second disc. There are only a few shops in the game, so this leads to a lot of backtracking. Additionally, the game does not allow you to sell items, meaning that if you inadvertently purchase something, you are unable to return it. This means you can only discard items not needed in your inventory or store them in a box. I recommend saving before buying anything; in case something doesn’t work out, you can reload.
eve0.jpg

The visuals push the PS1 to its limits. We still get pre-rendered backgrounds with some 3D objects in place, but the character models look good, and there is a lot of detail in everything. While the game looks mostly generic style-wise, it is a technical showcase for the PS1. Sadly, the lack of voice work and infrequent FMVs kind of hurt the game presentation, but what’s here works. Overall, Parasite Eve II isn’t perfect. It’s a product of its time, with developers trying to figure out how to do action games in 3D. The weapon balancing act is frustrating, and missing out on key items to make the game more enjoyable can cause a lot of problems later on when you realize it’s too late. The combat system works well enough, and there are plenty of weapons and magic. The game’s main issues were mostly backtracking and a lack of knowing where to go. The story is interesting, surprising in depth for the time, and well told.

Pros
  • + Fantastic visuals and atmosphere
  • + Decent story that is easy to follow
  • + Deep RPG elements between weapons and magic
  • + Useful map system
Cons
  • - Combat system is hindered by tank controls
  • - Difficulty is all over the place
  • - Hard to figure out where to go most of the time
Gameplay
The auto-aim works well enough and enemies don't respawn, but the tank controls feel like you're fighting underwater
Graphics
Pushes the PS1 to its absolute limits. Well-detailed pre-rendered backgrounds, and great looking 3D models
Story
Easy to follow and keeps your interest all the way to the very end
Sound
Not much in terms of good music or ambiance. You get left with a lot of silent moments of just Aya's foosteps.
Replayability
This isn't a game you will really want to play through again. Unless you really want the best items and weapons, but there is no reward for this.
out of 10
Overall
Parasite Eve II is a great survival horror that feels like it struggles with the magic and weapon-based combat system, but the story and varied locales will keep pushing you forward. The game's difficulty balancing is all over the place, but nothing that can't be managed.
Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite PS1 games. I think it's much better than the first game.

The boss battles are so cool. I've even learned how to do them all damageless. I'mal actually in the middle of a scavenger mode playthrough right now.

I think it's a shame that squaresoft decided to scrap the gameplay of the first game in favour of a resident evil clone, especially weapon customization, which is far deeper in the first game.

I disagree with the replayability scoring because the game has other modes after finishing it, being scavenger mode and bounty mode the most notable. In Scavenger mode, shops sell very few items at very high prices so the player has to rely almost exclusively on items found through the game; Bounty mode spawns GOLEMS to hunt starting at the akropolis tower so you can score that sweet sweet BP and aim for a high score at the final ranking when you beat the game.

Good review, very informative about the game's nature while being short and concise

great game i personally prefer the first game though and always dream that it will be redone at some point and even the 3rd game is worth a play had interesting mechanics in it

I finished it twice or thrice back in the day with my PS1, loved the gameplay and I finished with no guides whatsoever. It was one of my favorites, loved the guns mix with paranormal stuff. I'm planning on playing the third.

Game Cover

Game Info

• Game: Parasite Eve II
  • Publisher: Squaresoft
  • Developer: Squaresoft
  • Genres: Survival Horror, Action Adventure
  • Release: 2000

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics