How Do You Find New Games to Play?

Deadgar64

Young Hero
CoverSmith
Writers Guild
Reaction score
Let's define "New" here as "A game one has yet to experience". 🤔

With that as a qualifier, how do you find new games? 🤷‍♂️

Me? I love love forum/reddit threads of folks talking about things they themselves experienced. Games off the beaten path, imports that never made their way to wherever one is based, etc.
A big go-to for me is also the CDR front-page. I must admit, I become giddy when I see new translations/localization of games the never came out here. It's akin to getting a "new" game on an old console to me. A "mini-Christmas", if-you-will. 🎅🎄

I've also been watching old episodes of X-Play to see if there's things I missed back in the day. My tastes generally align with theirs (not always) so I'm open to a lot.
For those not familiar, X-Play (and even further back in time Extended Play) was a games-media coverage and reviews program on what was then know as the Tech TV network (which was later merged into G4). It was available select cable and dish services in a lot of places. It's fun, irreverent at times. A hoot.
One might notice that quite a few Youtubers take quite a bit from the show in terms of style of coverage.

Tbh these days I'm keeping an eye on them Chinese rpgs they don't get the recognition they deserve
These 3 should be more popular
Path of wuxia
Hero's adventure
Wandering sword

It's hard finding new games that aren't just new releases.
I like to pick a console I'm in the mood for and then i scroll sites (mainly cdromance) and look for something interesting looking.
Reminds me of when I used to go to video stores and just browse the games for something that looks fun

For old games, I sort the entire library of a console/platform and go through it and whatever catches my eye honestly. For new games I tend to check new releases on stores every week.

I have a giant list I'll never get through, I keep an eye on a handful of studios that still make the kind of games I like, occasionally I download whartever looks girl on fitgirl

Retro style indie games. 2D or 3D. Bright and colorful. Great music. Fun gameplay. If it's based on a Sega game, that's even better!!!

I usually watch videos or read lists about hidden gems. More recently i started to explore Backloggd lists too. I even did one, you may like to check it out:

Sometimes I don't even know what a game is but I check it out because it has really nice box art.
Moon-Ball-Magic-Japan-FDS by the makers of Final Fantasy.jpg

I usually watch videos or read lists about hidden gems. More recently i started to explore Backloggd lists too. I even did one, you may like to check it out:

metaljesusrocks gave me ptsd flashbacks every time I hear the word hidden gem

Last edited:
By searching other consoles, genres and other game studios that aren't well known
I got so bored that I even revisit Sega's consoles like 32x, just to see the library of games I haven't seen yet
Sega-Genesis-Model2-32X.jpg

you guys who said using mostly CDRomance to discover new old games ( @Deadgar64 @VampireLord1024 and others), i'm curious. Do you feel the slow pace of posting matters? Like, does this affects you in a sense of making you keep visiting the site everyday, stuff like that? That miSteRiOus nEw gUY on the team got excited so he posted lots of nes roms all at once, and i wonder if this exausts visitor somehow. Just a thought.

you guys who said using mostly CDRomance to discover new old games ( @Deadgar64 @VampireLord1024 and others), i'm curious. Do you feel the slow pace of posting matters? Like, does this affects you in a sense of making you keep visiting the site everyday, stuff like that? That miSteRiOus nEw gUY on the team got excited so he posted lots of nes roms all at once, and i wonder if this exausts visitor somehow. Just a thought.
I usually nab NES roms on CDR as soon as they're posted. Same for SMS. There's translations for games i never even heard of.

The rate at which things go up there doesn't really matter to me because I look for new stuff when I'm ready to look.
Hell, I've found things that are new to me that are up from the early days of the site, lol.
I'd say the more the merrier, in general. Like, if there's a lull sometimes, that's quite alright.
But one can never go wrong with good bags of new stuff. The recent drop(s) are pretty rad.

I'm not really aware of how fast or slow the posting on CDRomance is. It doesn't really effect me, but I also look around Vimm's Lair too sometimes.

If you guys have never tried the TVTropes Random Media button, I'd really recommend it! TVTropes has hundreds of thousands of articles for all kinds of media, much of which is extremely obscure and never-talked-about anywhere else. (In fact, for a lot of really obscure stuff, the TVTropes page is the first thing that comes up when you google it.) I've discovered a ton of cool games, TV shows, movies, and books just from that one link alone. Keep in mind, though – the most sacred truth still applies.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back