Final Fantasy Megathread

Kyyo

New Challenger
Writers Guild
Reaction score
So I'm playing FF Type-0 and I wanted a place to talk about my experience with the game. I'm also planning to play FF7 or FF10 next, Type-0 is a pretty good game. I didn't expected to find a more mature plot on a Final Fantasy game. I hope there's more games like it.

haven't played the newer FF games, i prefer the old turn based combat
there are some cool GFX mods around for FF7 that make it alot more digestible these days :)
i used the Satsuki Yatoshi one on my last playthrough and highly recommend it 👍

1728093821492.png

1728093160708.png

Last edited:
Man, i'm glad you brought Type-0 to the table. I've seen screenshots of it since the first psp english patch came out many years ago, and i always wondered if the story were really well written, or... if it was more about the adventure, let's say. I'm too dependent on emotional depth to care about characters and big epic plots, you know? (i might charge games too much) So i see the screenshots and see all the "school uniform" vibes, the cards and fear it would be like a mainstream shonen or something like that (which is nice too, it's just that it's something i don't specificly look for in final fantasy?) What do you think of it? 🤔

About main Final Fantasy games: I finished only VI, VII (all the compilation), VIII and XIII.
Spin offs: Dissidia and Theathrythsrmh (i dont know how to spell that...) Probably i'm forgetting some spin-off.

I believe that VIII is SUPER underrated (because of the weirdly explained battle/level system), XIII has my favourite turn based battle system and VI has that whole Opera moment i love so much.

I'm heavily excited to see how the FFVIIRemake trilogy will end!!

i used the Satsuki Yatoshi one on my last playthrough and highly recommend it 👍

View attachment 825
View attachment 824
It looks cool. I personally ain't a big fan of turn-based combats but I'll try to start liking it 'cuz I really want to dive deeper into the FF series.

What do you think of it? 🤔
Well, to tell the truth I found the story really cool. It doesn't looks like a mainstream shounen anime, but a more serious one. It's way more violent than other games in the franchise and it has some really cool plot twists. But... the story isn't easy to understand. There's some pretty confusing cutscenes (although really epic cinematography holy fuck) so I recommend paying good attention to it.

VII (all the compilation)
Do you include Crisis Core? The combat of Type-0 is similar (although not so much) and better. I haven't beated Crisis Core yet and I'll only play it again when I definitely beat VII. I tried to play Crisis Core first 'cuz I really used to hate turn-based RPGs xD.

I tried to play Crisis Core first 'cuz I really used to hate turn-based RPGs xD.
well Crisis Core story did happen before FF7 so you could play them in chronological order, it is a great game and so is the remake on steam

But you really need to play FF7 or at least FF10 if you haven't already!

Type-0 story is really hard to follow with just one playthrough. But when you understand it ,you realize how cool it is.i also like the gameplay and playing Eight was so much fun.tbh punchy bois are my favourite characters

@Kyyo If you're going to be modding FF VII, I suggest using Reunion. That's a collection of mods which also has its own release of Satsuki Yatoshi's upscaled textures. The main reasons why you want to use it is for the complete relocalisation of the game and the replacement of the sound system. The new script does it a ton of good. It fixes some graphical bugs too and comes with more optional mods if you so desire, like a full model replacement. Installing it is running an exe.

On that note, I am also replaying VII, but I haven't touched it weeks. I'll probably pick it back up this weekend, possibly today. I'm using the PSX port of Reunion on the Duckstation emulator. To me the best visual enhancement these games can get in modern times is good CRT shaders.

Do you include Crisis Core? The combat of Type-0 is similar (although not so much) and better. I haven't beated Crisis Core yet and I'll only play it again when I definitely beat VII. I tried to play Crisis Core first 'cuz I really used to hate turn-based RPGs xD.
Crisis Core is ok. Zack and Aerith are good characters, i enjoy the english dub and the CG cutscenes are phenomenal as always. What i personally like of the game, tho, is its soundtrack. I was probably my first RPG with many heavy metal scores playing all around. All music is really good, and most of the time have somw cowboy western movie feeling. It's an interesting mix.

But you really need to play FF7 or at least FF10 if you haven't already!
Fr! I'll probaly play FF7 first.

@Kyyo If you're going to be modding FF VII, I suggest using Reunion. That's a collection of mods which also has its own release of Satsuki Yatoshi's upscaled textures. The main reasons why you want to use it is for the complete relocalisation of the game and the replacement of the sound system. The new script does it a ton of good. It fixes some graphical bugs too and comes with more optional mods if you so desire, like a full model replacement. Installing it is running an exe.

On that note, I am also replaying VII, but I haven't touched it weeks. I'll probably pick it back up this weekend, possibly today. I'm using the PSX port of Reunion on the Duckstation emulator. To me the best visual enhancement these games can get in modern times is good CRT shaders.
Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'll certainly use it. I don't like the game's original textures much so a mod that replaces it will make my experience far better. I'll take a look at the optional mods too.

I played X and really liked the characters and the gameplay. Sadly, my game kept freezing around the part when
the party flies into Sin to kill Yu Yevon
so i never finished the game.

Played Crisis Core because someone told me it was good. It wasn't. Getting interrupted every 10 seconds by a roulette spinning just to show a cutscene to aid me in combat is not fun, especially because the player has no control of the roulette nor the buffs and summons, and if there is a way, i missed it hard. And since i haven't played VI, i had 0 attachment to any of the characters.

I also played Dirge of Cerberus and thought it was serviceable.

@Kyyo Yeah, the Reunion mod is pretty rad. Just be on the lookout there was something for the PSX called "Reunion" that went up on CDR recently that isn't actually the "reunion" referenced here. It's more of a difficulty hack.
I even foolishly made a really snazzy cover for it with the lovely Yoshitaka Amano art thinking it was the other one🤦‍♂️

1728158669364.png

I played X and really liked the characters and the gameplay. Sadly, my game kept freezing around the part when
the party flies into Sin to kill Yu Yevon
so i never finished the game.

Played Crisis Core because someone told me it was good. It wasn't. Getting interrupted every 10 seconds by a roulette spinning just to show a cutscene to aid me in combat is not fun, especially because the player has no control of the roulette nor the buffs and summons, and if there is a way, i missed it hard. And since i haven't played VI, i had 0 attachment to any of the characters.

I also played Dirge of Cerberus and thought it was serviceable.
Haha Dirge of Cerberus was a strange one, besides fighting against the controls and the camera the whole time it wasn't so bad, i wouldn't do a second playthrough though its quite a shallow game and almost seems like an unfinished product

I must say I HATE the RTS mode of Type-0. I spent an hour on a mission because of this mode. I found it very confusing and difficult, I would prefer it not to exist.

I just completed this fight. Loved the OST.
Yeah Type-0 has some very nice tunes
War the quite blood bath is a banger too
I must say I HATE the RTS mode of Type-0. I spent an hour on a mission because of this mode. I found it very confusing and difficult, I would prefer it not to exist
It's kinda easy tho
There is that one character that's broken on that mode
Forgot who dammit (edit: It's Trey freaking charge attacks are op on that mode)
But always equip lightning magic since you will always fight against magiteck most of the time

I wish I can live enough to see Final Fantasy XII - Fortress coming to life...
Never heart of this game before. I just read it's wikipedia article now:

Square Enix approached the developer Grin and proposed making the game a spin-off of Final Fantasy XII. Grin reconceived the game in the recurring Final Fantasy world of Ivalice, and included elements of XII, such as stylistic motifs and character designs; additional elements included chocobos and other recurring creatures from the Final Fantasy series. It was to be released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360.

During development, Square Enix did not pay Grin over several months and disapproved of the game's Nordic art style. Grin worked to bring the game's art style closer to the Final Fantasy series, but after six months of development was told that no funding would ever come from Square Enix, and the developer filed for bankruptcy several days later. Word of the project leaked out through art portfolios of those who worked on the project and even a tech demo surfaced.

In 2011, Fortress was thought to have been in development by an undisclosed studio, but this was also suspended, and the game was not released in any form.

So bad, goddammit!

1728666487606.png

I've only played a few mainline titles. 7,8,12,13, 14 and 15. Some spin offs here and there. I would like to play X properly one day, the Japanese dub is really good.

Last edited:
I finally finished Type-0. It's a pretty good game, the ending was really cool. I hope to replay it someday, but the HD version!

Currently playing Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. It's a gacha game that hits end of service at the end of the month. Square Enix said screw it and handed out lvl. 120 characters like candy so people could steamroll the story before the game shuts down. I hate gacha games so much because they just disappear, I wish Square would release a gacha collection for consoles. I'm still salty I missed out on playing Nier Reincarnation.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back