Filters!

MajesticSiN

New Challenger
Reaction score
So without starting a war what is your stance on filters.
Do you use them?
If so what are your favorite?

I have had a stance on not using them for the longest now but that's because they didn't look right to me.
Now I have seen some that actually look pretty decent and if given the right circumstance I would use them.
When I do use them I just use crt filters. I'm still against smoothing filters.

In my opinion it depends, on the system, the era, sometimes game to game.

As a blanket statement I would say most fully 2D games benefit from a filter on a modern display. My opinion is literally the opposite though, I go straight to smoothing filters and completely bypass CRT filters and faux scanlines. Most fully 3D games benefit far more from resolution scaling and anti-aliasing than filtering, I very rarely feel the need to apply an additional filter on a PSX game at a 3X(or beyond) upscale.

It gets weird though, situational like I said. Take a game like Mario Kart 64 for instance, full 3D environment, 2D sprites. There's a fine balance between upscaling to get the environment looking crisp, and filtering to get the characters looking smooth.

As for favorites I'm pretty basic, I just start with a system specific border and shader from the Duimon Mega Bezel pack, then work backwards from there to turn off the scanlines and curvature as a starting point, then tweak from there on a per system/per game basis.

1651945272556-jpg.32652

Beyond Pixel Perfect, I don't use any filters – never have, never will. They fundamentally go against what I like about playing retro games: the experience of playing them as someone would have when the game was originally released. For the same reason, I don't use save states, rewinds, fast forward, or any of that BS hullaballoo that clogs up the RetroArch in-game menu – it's not really playing the same game that someone would be on an original copy. Also, frankly, I've never seen a filter that I've liked more than the original game, anyways, no matter what console it's on.

The only place for a filter? The aquarium! 🐠

1651945272556-jpg.32652

Beyond Pixel Perfect, I don't use any filters – never have, never will. They fundamentally go against what I like about playing retro games: the experience of playing them as someone would have when the game was originally released. For the same reason, I don't use save states, rewinds, fast forward, or any of that BS hullaballoo that clogs up the RetroArch in-game menu – it's not really playing the same game that someone would be on an original copy. Also, frankly, I've never seen a filter that I've liked more than the original game, anyways, no matter what console it's on.

Even as a fan of smoothing I can respect this.

"the experience of playing them as someone would have when the game was originally released."

Is why I use filters in a roundabout way; I need my games to look how I remember them looking, not how they actually looked :ROFLMAO:

It really just comes down to making the game look as good as I can get it to look on the screen that I'm using.

I don't personally care to have super-sharp pixels on modern screens (because oldschool CRT's and TV's blurred the pixels, and games were often designed with this in mind).
Having said that, I also don't want ugly filters taking things to the other extreme.

So for me it really just depends on what looks good depending on the screen I'm using, and of course the individual game itself.

While most of us would say it's unnecessary, I think it can be quite reliable for some people that wants to play Retro games but doesn't like the pixel bits.

Despite the issues with the filters, some of them aren't that bad. For example, xBRZ (which is quite common), ScaleFX and glsl. These filters won't make it as accurate like the original of course, but in the end it all depends whether you like it or not.

I will stick to the original though since that is the best way to play and see all of the artwork, cutscenes and the game in it's original state or form

1651945272556-jpg.32652

I'm gonna go ahead and be the unpopular opinion here.
As some may know, I used to think that way, but I've been converted.
The reason is 'CRT shaders' (not filters), and the misconception that seeing raw pixels is what the artist intended when creating the games or even the false memory that games looked like that growing up.
Ask yourself; were you supposed to see 'checkers pattern' or shadows? were you supposed to see rows of distinctly colored pixels or gradients? Big part of low res graphics was using your imagination to fill in what was missing, the TV itself helped create that illusion.

As that image quoted above shows, a lot of the hate comes from legacy filters like SuperEagle and Super2xSaI. Which looked awful but some people still used in the early days.

CRT shaders are an attempt to make things look they way they were supposed to look when played in a CRT screen but using a modern LCD.
Is it perfect? Nope. But they are huge step forward for those who don't own a CRT.

It boils down to personal preference, do you want to see sharp pixel do that. Do you want to see something that resembles a TV, use shaders.

1efc4981a7e5bbab34c19fd465e6416ebb85c00405603de63237ea8a46106053.png
302a185fcd2ebb4515c64a432f6a58f92b57db9e1fa1c2c77abe543f77a7d9c9.png
Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe)-241010-174245.png
Sonic_3D_Blast_USA-241007-232452.png
Pulseman (English v070226)-241008-234054.png

CRT shaders are an attempt to make things look they way they were supposed to look when played in a CRT screen but using a modern LCD.
CRT filters are the Achilles’ Heel of my argument, and you’ve made several good points, so let me be a bit clearer about my own position:

When playing a retro video game, I want the ideal version of the original experience. I want to be playing a game like a rich man in the 90s would — on the best possible TV, with the best possible controls, seeing the best possible version of the original game. Scanlines and CRT filters, to me, look cheap — they look like you’re playing on an authentic old TV, yes, but a crappy one that’s been running continuously for years and that needs you to fiddle with the antenna to watch a grainy version of ALF. High-quality, clear-picture screens existed back then, too, but they were more expensive, so most people didn’t own one. Today, they’re not expensive at all, so I want to enjoy their benefits.

I think of it like watching a Blu-Ray of a movie — a 1080p, clear-as-day picture of Project ALF wasn’t at all what it would look like to most people at the time, but it is what the highest-quality, most expensive version of the movie looked like, and that’s what I want. Filters, to me, are like when they “upscale” the animation of old cartoons to make them “smoother” — they change the actual image, and, in my opinion, always make them look uglier. We live in the future — I don’t have to accept a poor-quality video signal anymore, so I don’t want to. I want the highest-quality version of the original, unaltered game possible.

I don’t have any direct nostalgia for CRTs, because they were on their way out when I was young, and nobody I knew really used them. I do remember the era of atrociously-upscaled, cropped, incorrectly-coloured video on pre-HD flatscreens, though, and I hated them. That’s what filters are to me: a cheap, erroneous version of the original video. I don’t judge people who use them — even CRT filters — but they’re not something I would ever even consider. If that makes me an elitist, then I guess I am one!

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and be the unpopular opinion here.
As some may know, I used to think that way, but I've been converted.
The reason is 'CRT shaders' (not filters), and the misconception that seeing raw pixels is what the artist intended when creating the games or even the false memory that games looked like that growing up.
Ask yourself; were you supposed to see 'checkers pattern' or shadows? were you supposed to see rows of distinctly colored pixels or gradients? Big part of low res graphics was using your imagination to fill in what was missing, the TV itself helped create that illusion.

As that image quoted above shows, a lot of the hate comes from legacy filters like SuperEagle and Super2xSaI. Which looked awful but some people still used in the early days.

Is it perfect? Nope. But they are huge step forward for those who don't own a CRT.

It boils down to personal preference, do you want to see sharp pixel do that. Do you want to see something that resembles a TV, use shaders.

View attachment 1086
View attachment 1088
View attachment 1089
View attachment 1090
View attachment 1091
That's a really, really clean and easy to understand kind of explanation
It came from the man himself, why am I not surprised?

I prefer to 8/16 bit console games with CRT filter if possible. I'm so used to seeing the games without any filters or shaders since I've been emulating games since around '99, so if it's too much bother or if the hardware can't runt it I'm fine without it or I'm not very picky as long as it's not one of the sprite smooth filters. When it comes to 3D games it's very case by case. I couldn't care less on PS2 since I mostly played that console with LCD monitor, but for gamecube I would like some filters since I pretty much used CRT during the entire Gamecube and Wii era.

I don't know how many of you are familiarized with Mednaffe's (which is a Mednafen frontend) wonderful NTSC
why-does-king-k-rool-throw-his-crown-just-so-you-can-jump-v0-0dw28rw56rgd1.jpg
filters that simulate color generation and blitter with relatively good results. I've attached some examples here. Otherwise I am geenrally opposed to most filters, particularly anything that smooths out the visuals. Don't get me started on those scanline filters and shaders that many commercial re-releases of retro games ship with, they often look terrible.
8-BIT ADV STEINS;GATE (USA) (Nintendo Switch)-0007.png

8-BIT ADV STEINS;GATE (USA) (Nintendo Switch)-0008.png

Last edited:
I don't know how many of you are familiarized with Mednaffe's (which is a Mednafen frontend) wonderful NTSC View attachment 1349]]][[filters that simulate color generation and blitter with relatively good results. I've attached some examples here. Otherwise I am geenrally opposed to most filters, particularly anything that smooths out the visuals. Don't get me started on those scanline filters and shaders that many commercial re-releases of retro games ship with, they often look terrible.
it looks like it's on a real tv!

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back