Fighting Game Central

SF2SCE.jpg

This was the very first Street Fighter game I ever owned. As a kid, I had a friend that had World Warrior on the SNES and him and I would try to see which one got to Dictator first. Eventually I got this to try it out myself and after reading the instruction manual, I stuck with Guile as my main (since in my tiny child mind charge moves were easier to do). Ever since then I've always considered SF2 as my #1 favorite fighting game. Regarding the official games, I choose Hyper Anniversary Edition as the best (even better than Super Turbo) because you can select all the different versions of each character. Unofficially though, my #1 recommendation is New Legacy - A Super Turbo hack that fixes everything and makes the game balanced and gives lower tier characters new tools at their disposal. My 2nd favorite Street Fighter game is Alpha 3, specifically MAX on the PSP. I consider it the definitive version of Alpha 3. You get all the characters including the home ports and GBA game, and it gives you so many different modes to play in. The last "newest" Street Fighter game I played was Ultra 4, and I remember liking it alot even though it was the beginning of the downfall of Street Fighter as a whole.

Other fighters I play:
  • Garou MotW
  • Karnov's Revenge
  • Outlaws Of The Lost Dynasty (Dark Legend - Suiko Enbu)
  • the vs series starting with Marvel Super Heroes and ending with MvC2
  • Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Darkstalkers
  • Tekken (1-3 specifically... haven't touched a new tekken since 5)
  • Breaker's Revenge
  • Rival Schools
I chill on FightCade2 from time to time, but compared to everyone else on there I'm complete garbage, so my Rankings are always in the D-C category. Highest I've ever gotten was B in Super Turbo.

View attachment 1147
This was the very first Street Fighter game I ever owned. As a kid, I had a friend that had World Warrior on the SNES and him and I would try to see which one got to Dictator first. Eventually I got this to try it out myself and after reading the instruction manual, I stuck with Guile as my main (since in my tiny child mind charge moves were easier to do). Ever since then I've always considered SF2 as my #1 favorite fighting game. Regarding the official games, I choose Hyper Anniversary Edition as the best (even better than Super Turbo) because you can select all the different versions of each character. Unofficially though, my #1 recommendation is New Legacy - A Super Turbo hack that fixes everything and makes the game balanced and gives lower tier characters new tools at their disposal. My 2nd favorite Street Fighter game is Alpha 3, specifically MAX on the PSP. I consider it the definitive version of Alpha 3. You get all the characters including the home ports and GBA game, and it gives you so many different modes to play in. The last "newest" Street Fighter game I played was Ultra 4, and I remember liking it alot even though it was the beginning of the downfall of Street Fighter as a whole.

Other fighters I play:
  • Garou MotW
  • Karnov's Revenge
  • Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Darkstalkers
  • Breaker's Revenge
  • Rival Schools
I chill on FightCade2 from time to time, but compared to everyone else on there I'm complete garbage, so my Rankings are always in the D-C category. Highest I've ever gotten was B in Super Turbo.
It's not about the ranking, it's about enjoying the game. I'll check out New Legacy for sure, I know very little about the hack scene.

Strive is by far the best for beginners because, simply put, it's the easiest. It still has some depth going on but it's on the easier side.

+R is much more mechanically complex and has the biggest depth while Xrd is a middle point. Xrd was actually my first fighting game ever so it has to account for something.

On the other hand, Strive has some newbies while Xrd and +R is chockfull with veterans that are ready to kick ass. Also Xrd is kind of a Discord fighter
That's why I stick to this day to +R, Strive marked the point of no return for this series.
Also what do you mean by "Discord Fighter"?

I'm currently focusing on Capcom vs SNK 2 and Street Fighter III Third Strike. Since I've never actually sat down to practice optimal combos, I've been relying on findamentals and dumb hail mary luck to win. Now that I know where people get together, it's motivated me to get better.

I'm currently focusing on Capcom vs SNK 2 and Street Fighter III Third Strike. Since I've never actually sat down to practice optimal combos, I've been relying on findamentals and dumb hail mary luck to win. Now that I know where people get together, it's motivated me to get better.
CvS2, my beloved. A great, utterly broken game. Fundamentals can carry you far for sure, but yeah you still need to learn some optimal combos for different situations. What characters have you been looking at in both of of those?

CvS2, my beloved. A great, utterly broken game. Fundamentals can carry you far for sure, but yeah you still need to learn some optimal combos for different situations. What characters have you been looking at in both of of those?
When I first started playing CvS2 back in the day, I would cycle through Ken, Iori, Terry, and Kyo. Eventually, I've settled on Sagat, Haohmaru, and Ryo as my main team. Ryo is definitely one of the hardest characters to win with, but I am adamant about getting better with him.

In Third Strike, Alex was my immediate favorite so he's my main, but I also have Hugo, Dudley, and Ken so I have options to mess around with.

When I first started playing CvS2 back in the day, I would cycle through Ken, Iori, Terry, and Kyo. Eventually, I've settled on Sagat, Haohmaru, and Ryo as my main team. Ryo is definitely one of the hardest characters to win with, but I am adamant about getting better with him.

In Third Strike, Alex was my immediate favorite so he's my main, but I also have Hugo, Dudley, and Ken so I have options to mess around with.
Hell yeah, Haohmaru was one of my favourites back in the day too before I even knew what SamSho was. Sagat is arguably the best (read: busted) character in the game next to Blanka and maybe Geese, so you picked well.

I've never been good at 3S, but I did main Dudley in SF4. Most of his tech carried forward from 3S, he plays pretty similar in both games. St.HK and cr.MP are your go to normals for combos, burn meter to EX machine gun blow as much as possible to get a juggle after with ducking upper or straight. Oh, and use the rose throw as much as possible on their wakeup for the emotional victory. Mix in your target combos, and throw the overhead F.HK out whenever you think they're going to blocking.

I don't know much about Alex, so can't help you there. All I know is how satisfying st.HK is to land, and the chops into DDT.

Last edited:
View attachment 1147

Other fighters I play:
  • Garou MotW
  • Karnov's Revenge
  • Capcom vs SNK 2
  • Darkstalkers
  • Breaker's Revenge
  • Rival Schools
You play Garou? ive been really wanting to get good at it and want a coach or someone to play with? do you play on Fightcade?

Hell yeah, Haohmaru was one of my favourites back in the day too before I even knew what SamSho was. Sagat is arguably the best (read: busted) character in the game next to Blanka and maybe Geese, so you picked well.

I've never been good at 3S, but I did main Dudley in SF4. Most of his tech carried forward from 3S, he plays pretty similar in both games. St.HK and cr.MP are your go to normals for combos, burn meter to EX machine gun blow as much as possible to get a juggle after with ducking upper or straight. Oh, and use the rose throw as much as possible on their wakeup for the emotional victory. Mix in your target combos, and throw the overhead F.HK out whenever you think they're going to blocking.

I don't know much about Alex, so can't help you there. All I know is how satisfying st.HK is to land, and the chops into DDT.
Haohmaru has my favorite pokes. Sagat lets me play retarded against people of equal skill or lower but my playstyle becomes easier to read after a match or two.

Dudley has my favorite juggle when you launch with cr.HK (I think) and follow up with a machine gun blow. For Alex, I try to play hard ready and throw stomp or DDT.

Haohmaru has my favorite pokes. Sagat lets me play retarded against people of equal skill or lower but my playstyle becomes easier to read after a match or two.

Dudley has my favorite juggle when you launch with cr.HK (I think) and follow up with a machine gun blow. For Alex, I try to play hard ready and throw stomp or DDT.
Yeah, Dudley's cr.HK is the launcher leg flip thing which definitely isn't a legal boxing move but whatever. Off of cr.HK, you can also do ducking upper into Super 1 or 3 for a pretty big damage cash out if you have the meter. I'm not sure in 3S, but in SF4 you could get multiple cr.HK juggle hits in the corner which was always funny looking.

Yeah, Dudley's cr.HK is the launcher leg flip thing which definitely isn't a legal boxing move but whatever. Off of cr.HK, you can also do ducking upper into Super 1 or 3 for a pretty big damage cash out if you have the meter. I'm not sure in 3S, but in SF4 you could get multiple cr.HK juggle hits in the corner which was always funny looking.
I need to try Dudley in USFIV again. I seem to remember he could duck fireballs in it.

I need to try Dudley in USFIV again. I seem to remember he could duck fireballs in it.
Ducking goes under fireballs, yeah, meaning you can even punish it depending on the distance and specific character with ducking upper or straight after. His Rolling Thunder ultra in it also goes under fireballs and lands from about 3/4 of screen away so it gets pretty spooky throwing a fireball at him unless you're Sagat (low Tiger shot) or situationally Guile. I'm biased of course since I mentioned earlier he's one of my SF4 mains, but I think he's one of the funnest characters in the game hands down; he just has so much stuff to mess around with.

Ducking goes under fireballs, yeah, meaning you can even punish it depending on the distance and specific character with ducking upper or straight after. His Rolling Thunder ultra in it also goes under fireballs and lands from about 3/4 of screen away so it gets pretty spooky throwing a fireball at him unless you're Sagat (low Tiger shot) or situationally Guile. I'm biased of course since I mentioned earlier he's one of my SF4 mains, but I think he's one of the funnest characters in the game hands down; he just has so much stuff to mess around with.
I think it's funny because Dudley almost became my main in Super Street Fighter IV, but eventually I settled into Sagat. What platform do you play on? I currently only have it on PC Steam and was wondering if you wanted to do a few rounds or something.

I think it's funny because Dudley almost became my main in Super Street Fighter IV, but eventually I settled into Sagat. What platform do you play on? I currently only have it on PC Steam and was wondering if you wanted to do a few rounds or something.
I never even knew there was a Steam release for Ultra. If it's on sale sometime I'll pick it up for sure for some games, I haven't played SF4 in way too long.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back