Fighting Game Central

Octopus

Novice Adventurer
Writers Guild
Reaction score
Not sure where else to put this since it would be covering a variety of systems and games so I figured why not make a general. Talk about your favourite games, what you're currently playing, ask questions/advice, etc.

I'm personally a huge fighting game guy of both the retro and modern variety. Mainly Capcom stuff but I also dabble casually in Tekken and MK.

Right, I guess I should say I'm currently playing Street Fighter 6; got Honda to master rank, currently grinding away with Guile in the 4-5 Diamond area but that's been a up and down journey and I'm thinking of changing it up with another character.

I'll start by putting my top three of all time down:
1. Street Fighter 4
2. X-Men vs. Street Fighter
3. MK11

Last edited:
Heavens, only three, lol!? 🤭
I'm in the camp of "I love fighting games but am only so-so at them".

1. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
1726941574955.png

2. Dark Stalkers 3 (Sega Saturn)
1726941626390.png

3. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (on anything I could play it on... mostly Dreamcast, lol)
1726941647107.png

Special shout-outs to:
Tekken 5 (PS2)
Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2... Yes I, in fact, LOVED Tekken Tag! I know, I know, lol)
Super Smash Bros. (Everything but Brawl... I didn't have a Wii back in the day)
Soul Calibur 2 (PS2/GC)
Mortal Kombat (SNES)
King of Fighters XIII (PC/PS3)

Heavens, only three, lol!? 🤭
I'm in the camp of "I love fighting games but am only so-so at them".

1. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
View attachment 103

2. Dark Stalkers 3 (Sega Saturn)
View attachment 104

3. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (on anything I could play it on... mostly Dreamcast, lol)
View attachment 105

Special shout-outs to:
Tekken 5 (PS2)
Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2... Yes I, in fact, LOVED Tekken Tag! I know, I know, lol)
Super Smash Bros. (Everything but Brawl... I didn't have a Wii back in the day)
Soul Calibur 2 (PS2/GC)
Mortal Kombat (SNES)
King of Fighters XIII (PC/PS3)
How'd I forget about Soul Calibur, it was a grevious error. Obviously I played the hell out of 2, but I really enjoyed 3 and 4 too. And I also liked Tekken tag so you're not alone 👍.

If I was extending the list more I'd add on UMvC3 and CvS2 on there. UMvC3 I can still combo craft in training mode for hours, and CvS2 is of course a broken beautiful masterpiece of nonsense.

Not sure where else to put this since it would be covering a variety of systems and games so I figured why not make a general. Talk about your favourite games, what you're currently playing, ask questions/advice, etc.
"Modern Games Discussion" is now "General Gaming Discussion"
Which covers anything gaming except retro.

Think About It GIF by Identity

I see that you guys like to play some great FGs over there! As for me, I tried to play competitive of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future some years ago but I stopped when I reached the point that I wanted at the start. After that I never played any game in a competitively way again since it was a stressful experience and if I go serious, I'll focus on things too much.

1726956497577.png

So nowadays I only play casually and mainly with friends, I don't go to the training mode as I prefer to learn in a real match, my main games these days are these:

1. Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R (Steam)
Mains: Sol Badguy & Testament
1726956985487.png

2. The King of Fighters 96-XV (Arcade - Steam)
Mains: Kyo-1/2, Chris, Bao
1726957220614.png

3. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Arcade)
Mains: Kain & Dong Hwan
1726957640933.png

I know it's not even fair to mention the original Street Fighter II, but it's still crazy to me how innovative and deceptively complex the game is today. It's slow as hell compared to Hyper Fighting and especially Super Turbo, but for such a pioneer to also be just as fun as when it first came out is still shocking to me.

I know it's not even fair to mention the original Street Fighter II, but it's still crazy to me how innovative and deceptively complex the game is today. It's slow as hell compared to Hyper Fighting and especially Super Turbo, but for such a pioneer to also be just as fun as when it first came out is still shocking to me.
It is wild how one game can almost invent a genre, sure there were some rudimentary fighting games before SFII but after it came out everything obviously changed. I still play it from time to time. What's even wilder to think about is the whole 'combo' idea that's now an entirely integral part of the entire genre started off as a glitch in it, and was never originally intended. Crazy.

I see that you guys like to play some great FGs over there! As for me, I tried to play competitive of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future some years ago but I stopped when I reached the point that I wanted at the start. After that I never played any game in a competitively way again since it was a stressful experience and if I go serious, I'll focus on things too much.

View attachment 127

So nowadays I only play casually and mainly with friends, I don't go to the training mode as I prefer to learn in a real match, my main games these days are these:

1. Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus R (Steam)
Mains: Sol Badguy & Testament
View attachment 128

2. The King of Fighters 96-XV (Arcade - Steam)
Mains: Kyo-1/2, Chris, Bao
View attachment 129

3. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Arcade)
Mains: Kain & Dong Hwan
View attachment 130
Oooooo, rad list!
Not tried Mark of the Wolves tho.
Tis on my to-do list

It is wild how one game can almost invent a genre, sure there were some rudimentary fighting games before SFII but after it came out everything obviously changed. I still play it from time to time. What's even wilder to think about is the whole 'combo' idea that's now an entirely integral part of the entire genre started off as a glitch in it, and was never originally intended. Crazy.
I still ask people some times if they've played Street Fighter 1 and they're response is basically always assuming that I'm talking about 2, it's that fundamental in the genre. Combos are obviously such a huge draw for the fondness of the title, but I think another huge reason is the fact that the roster is so diverse. Yes, there are a few charge characters and even more quarter circle fighters, but you take someone like Dhalsim; there are not many other characters that I can think of that have stretchy limbs and because of this, I'll always remember getting a thousand cheep, almost full screen low punch attacks from him.

I still ask people some times if they've played Street Fighter 1 and they're response is basically always assuming that I'm talking about 2, it's that fundamental in the genre. Combos are obviously such a huge draw for the fondness of the title, but I think another huge reason is the fact that the roster is so diverse. Yes, there are a few charge characters and even more quarter circle fighters, but you take someone like Dhalsim; there are not many other characters that I can think of that have stretchy limbs and because of this, I'll always remember getting a thousand cheep, almost full screen low punch attacks from him.
Yeah for sure, a big part is the iconic character designs. An easily overlooked part of a good fighting game is the character design with making them both memorable looking and their gameplay unique. Blanka too, nothing like nailing someone with a full screen blanka ball. I still always laugh at Capcom's lore explanation of him; "he ate some magic fruit or something in the rainforest, don't worry about it".

I think the reason people forget SF1 exists is both that's it's objectively terrible and that's it's obviously overshadowed by 2. I've played it, and yeah there's not much else to say about it other than it was broken in the worst ways.

Yeah for sure, a big part is the iconic character designs. An easily overlooked part of a good fighting game is the character design with making them both memorable looking and their gameplay unique. Blanka too, nothing like nailing someone with a full screen blanka ball. I still always laugh at Capcom's lore explanation of him; "he ate some magic fruit or something in the rainforest, don't worry about it".

I think the reason people forget SF1 exists is both that's it's objectively terrible and that's it's obviously overshadowed by 2. I've played it, and yeah there's not much else to say about it other than it was broken in the worst ways.
It's the main reason I always play Devil's advocate and say that fighting games never need more than eight fighters. Oh yeah, of course, Blanka is a much better example of that, but I main him in almost every game, so I forget that he is considered unusual; he's not the weird one, everyone else is. It's a good lesson to eat your fruit, but maybe not the right lesson to eat random fruit you just find.

See, I'd disagree that, while it is undeniably terrible today, for 1987, its two competitors were Yie Ar Kung-Fu and Karate Champ, both of whom play somewhat similar, so I guess it was just considered the norm for those days...then again, Fatal Fury wasn't popular until a few revisions later. I mean, you could also get in to the punch and kick pad side of things, but that just makes it look worse. I reckon Capcom should commission an official rom hack of the original to let you play as other characters.

It's the main reason I always play Devil's advocate and say that fighting games never need more than eight fighters. Oh yeah, of course, Blanka is a much better example of that, but I main him in almost every game, so I forget that he is considered unusual; he's not the weird one, everyone else is. It's a good lesson to eat your fruit, but maybe not the right lesson to eat random fruit you just find.

See, I'd disagree that, while it is undeniably terrible today, for 1987, its two competitors were Yie Ar Kung-Fu and Karate Champ, both of whom play somewhat similar, so I guess it was just considered the norm for those days...then again, Fatal Fury wasn't popular until a few revisions later. I mean, you could also get in to the punch and kick pad side of things, but that just makes it look worse. I reckon Capcom should commission an official rom hack of the original to let you play as other characters.
I'm not going to lie, an official 'New Challengers' re-release of SF1 with more characters added in what be pretty hype, but somehow I doubt it's going to happen unfortunately. They did throw it into the semi-recent 30th Anniversary Collection and I think that's the last mention the poor game is going to get.

Earlier today I had some time and decided to boot up some fighting game, and I ended up playing the PSP version of Alpha 3 for a few hours- man, I forgot how great the Alpha games were. Fantastic art style and presentation. It's been too long since I played any of them.

I'm not going to lie, an official 'New Challengers' re-release of SF1 with more characters added in what be pretty hype, but somehow I doubt it's going to happen unfortunately. They did throw it into the semi-recent 30th Anniversary Collection and I think that's the last mention the poor game is going to get.

Earlier today I had some time and decided to boot up some fighting game, and I ended up playing the PSP version of Alpha 3 for a few hours- man, I forgot how great the Alpha games were. Fantastic art style and presentation. It's been too long since I played any of them.
Oh yeah, no, that game is dead. We'll see yet another revision of Street Fighter II before we see anything Street Fighter 1 related.

A lot of people herald Street Fighter 3: Third Strike as the best SF game and while I agree with a lot of points made about it, I will still always hold Alpha 3 above it, just purely for the sheer amount of fun I've had with it. For a series that was supposed to be more of a tie-in with the anime, it's still crazy how many different features, systems and characters are present. I'd love to see an Alpha 4 done with crazy detailed modern 2D sprites, mostly just for nostalgia sake, but I still believe that there's a market for it.

Oh yeah, no, that game is dead. We'll see yet another revision of Street Fighter II before we see anything Street Fighter 1 related.

A lot of people herald Street Fighter 3: Third Strike as the best SF game and while I agree with a lot of points made about it, I will still always hold Alpha 3 above it, just purely for the sheer amount of fun I've had with it. For a series that was supposed to be more of a tie-in with the anime, it's still crazy how many different features, systems and characters are present. I'd love to see an Alpha 4 done with crazy detailed modern 2D sprites, mostly just for nostalgia sake, but I still believe that there's a market for it.
A full graphical remake of Alpha 3 would be beyond amazing, maybe some fan project at some point as I doubt Capcom would do it themselves. There's an ongoing fan graphical overhaul for Marvel: Infinite of all games so it's not impossible territory. The game's so good, love the different '-isms' system they used in 3- I understand it's a lot of work to essentially balance three different versions of every character, but it's a shame they never brought that to any other game besides CvS2.

Also, I'm definitely in the minority here so controversial opinion coming in: I have never enjoyed Third Strike, other than admiring the of course flawless sprite animations. I will entirely admit to being bad at it's parries so maybe I just need to get good, but I've never particularly had fun actually playing the game. It's just never clicked for me, I guess. Love Makoto and Dudley though, just in SF4; I'm still awaiting the day one of them finally gets out into 6 but I have a feeling it may never happen despite both those characters repeatedly winning popularity polls.

If I were to get into Guilty Gear, which would you recommend? I hear good things about Strive
Strive is by far the best for beginners because, simply put, it's the easiest. It still has some depth going on but it's on the easier side.

+R is much more mechanically complex and has the biggest depth while Xrd is a middle point. Xrd was actually my first fighting game ever so it has to account for something.

On the other hand, Strive has some newbies while Xrd and +R is chockfull with veterans that are ready to kick ass. Also Xrd is kind of a Discord fighter

Have you heard about hinokakura its a very decent game and i heard it made by one person
it has very sick combos and interesting cast with unique playstyles
you can also play it online since it has a very active community in discord

Ever hear of Slap Happy Rhythm Busters?
I have never heard of Slap Happy Rhythm Busters, and I am a little fascinated at that name to be honest.

Newest Street Fighter 6 character dropped today, Terry from Fatal Fury; I'll see you all in a week.

1293723-dengeki-bunko-fighting-climax-ps-vita-front-cover.jpg
A few weekends ago, I played through the Vita version of Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, which features a roster of anime characters that were vaguely-popular around the early 2010s. That was the last time I ever kept up with newly-released anime, and I like pretty much all of those characters, so I ended up having a lot of fun! The game has a very large amount of single-player content – separate, fully-voiced story and challenge campaigns for each character! – and some neat stages based on SEGA games like Sonic and NiGHTs.

It also got all the original VAs for each character on board, and the spritework is excellent, so everything looks and sounds as it should. You can even unlock high-rez character artwork and the original novel covers for each IP! I expected to just screw around with this game for a few minutes, but I liked it so much I ended up 100%ing the entire darn thing. (I only wish that the Vita PSN servers hadn't been turned off so I could play it online. :cry:) If you're looking for a game where Kirino from Oreimo and Taiga from Toradora! can beat the shit out of each other, this game is for you! I also really like the theme song, which plays during the final round of each match.

Okay so I put two or so hours into Terry (SF6) in some ranked matches so far. Decided to go in relatively raw with minimal training time other than a vague idea of a punish combo and a BnB. Lost every placement match, as to be expected; still got placed Diamond 1 since I have a character in Master rank. It's been a little rough, not going to lie.

I think he has pretty good damage across the board, not like Akuma or Ken tier but it's largely independent of meter which is nice. The power wave is pretty good both as a poke and a counter projectile. My issue so far has just been working around his normals- they're a little stubby, his medium and hard punch specifically are deceptively short ranged. It's definitely been a transition going from two charge characters to him to say the least.

I'm going to keep at it, thank you for coming to my progress report.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back