Famous retro games you've never liked.

I can't believe the series went from the absolute beauty of 8 to 9
A lot of Mega Man fans (and developers) don’t like 7 or 8 at all, and think the original NES games are the only good ones. I kinda agree — I don’t hate 7 or 8, but I think 1 through 6 have a perfect formula and, honestly, I’m OK just keeping that level of simplicity forever. 11 changed things up quite a bit, and I didn’t think any of the additions were for the best. (And some, like the speed-up mechanic, were utterly useless and redundant.)

For what it’s worth, I’m one of those psychos who likes 1 the best, because you don’t even have to charge or slide or anything, just jump and shoot. That’s all I need, baby! This is also why I don’t like any Mega Man series beyond the classic one.

Super Mario 64, the Banjo series, and other collectathons, I'm also lumping Crash and Spyro into this list, as well as other games that play like them. I never managed to stick with these games to completion because I feel like they're designed to be deliberately time-consuming, and you get nothing out of them unless you commit hours into it. Conker's Bad Fur Day was an amazing game, though, because the collectathon aspect was more straightforward and overall linear.

On the contrary, I somehow manage to commit thousands of hours to exploration games like Fallout (both classic and modern), Elder Scrolls, almost any Forgotten Realms game, etc.

You should absolutely check out Capcom Sport's Club, it's very casual and focuses on the core aspects of each sport.

For the longest time I didnt like mario 64, growing up with spyro its enviroments were so skeletal by comaparison; plus I dont like how n64 games look in general

I appreciate the immaculate jumping controls and how they perfectly translated smb1's inertia to3d on their first try, but the enviroments still keep me from loving it
The lack of musical variety too and how muffled it is

A lot of Mega Man fans (and developers) don’t like 7 or 8 at all, and think the original NES games are the only good ones. I kinda agree — I don’t hate 7 or 8, but I think 1 through 6 have a perfect formula and, honestly, I’m OK just keeping that level of simplicity forever. 11 changed things up quite a bit, and I didn’t think any of the additions were for the best. (And some, like the speed-up mechanic, were utterly useless and redundant.)

For what it’s worth, I’m one of those psychos who likes 1 the best, because you don’t even have to charge or slide or anything, just jump and shoot. That’s all I need, baby! This is also why I don’t like any Mega Man series beyond the classic one.

7 I only tried and wasnt motivated to finish so I get that, I dont like how slow it

I really liked 7, the controls powers and enviroments were very good and you could interact with the enviroment much more than in previous games, and if you suck you can grind for gears, the bosses were fun too, and you can use speed gear as training wheels then when you get better you can go throgh the whole game without it

In 1 you actually have incentives to switch up your weapons, I dont get why people dislike it, sure its got the that beam that makes you softlock the game but nowdays everyone knows in advance

I know some fans dont like 8 but what developers? That game is friggin gorgeous from the opening to the spritework, my hear sunk when they went from that to famicom graphics and music ::nuts
And I'm glad they used That version as base for marvel vs capcom 1 and rockman 11, I hate how he looks in smash: they took his sprite and redit it literally, at least use the box art!
1728745298142.png

Last edited:
I appreciate the recommendation. Are there any platformers where I can get joy without worrying at all about collecting everything? I would be content with simply beating the level and moving on. New Adventure Island on PC Engine is more my speed since I can enjoy it on an arcade stick.
My easiest recommendation would be Spyro.

After that, I would comfortably say Ape Escape and Jak and Daxter are good candidates. The only collectables in Ape Escape are the apes, which are also enemies so it's not as dull as walking into a floating object for hours, and some coins you really don't need to worry about. Jak and Daxter does the Banjo-Kazooie thing of objective-based collectables, but I don't think you're required to get that many of them and the platforming gameplay is a joy to experience.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back