Movies Eerie psychological movies [no cheap Jump scares!]

TrepieGroupie#1

Administrator
Staff member
CDR Curator
Ko-Fi Supporter
Reaction score
If there's something that ruins the mood for me is those mindless jump scares. A sudden raise of volume while flashing a strong image doesn't enhance a movie...
I rather watch movies that make you feel uneasy because of the situation, not because something's gonna jump out at any time.

Some recommendations:

Creep (2014)​

A young videographer answers an online ad for a one-day job in a remote town to record the last messages of a dying man. When he notices the man's odd behavior, he starts to question his intentions.
creep movie.jpg

The Ritual (2017)​

A group of old college friends reunite for a trip to a most dangerous country in Europe - Sweden, encountering a menacing presence there stalking them.
image.jpg

If you know some that fit this description please share

Occult by Koji Shiraishi, from the same guy who directer Noroi. I thought it pulled off the whole found footage shtick rather well, even if the movie is admittedly low budget and could have used a slightly better script but the foreboding atmosphere and "cosmic horror" themes are enough to keep you engaged. It follows a documentary crew investigating some strange murders and the people who witnessed it.
psx_20200828_052435.jpg

Confessions, a Japanese film from 2010. I have to say that this movie was pretty good, especially for a psychological thriller. Goes to show you the lengths people will go for revenge.

Confessions_(2010)_film_poster.jpg

man i'm trying to remember some brazillian movies so i can promote our films hahah
hmm, two that i would recommend are Friendly Beast (the original name is O Animal Cordial, 2017) and A Wolf At The Door (O Lobo Atrás da Porta, 2013):

1727875304668.png

In Friendly Beast, a restaurant owner going over the edge when an armed robbery is attempted at his establishment. He holds everyone captive at gunpoint – criminals and customers alike – and situations corrode into a nightmare state, guided by manipulation and raw compulsion.

1727875095970.png

Based on real events, and set in Rio de Janeiro, A Wolf at the Door is the nerve-rattling tale of a kidnapped child and the terror of the parents left behind. When Sylvia discovers her six-year-old daughter has been picked up at school by an unknown woman, police summon her husband, Bernardo, to the station for questioning. From that point on, the film takes increasingly sinister turns as it delves into the events that led to the girl’s kidnapping. A Wolf at the Door is a darkly disturbing journey into the extreme limits of the human capacity for obsession and revenge.

See if you can find them subtitled, they're weird and singular......

With my passion for Japanese cinema I was now convinced, after viewing a few features by S. Tsukamoto, that I knew what was most disturbing about a film.
Well, I was dead wrong: one day I happened somewhat by chance upon “Audition” by another Japanese director I had never heard of until that moment, namely Takashi Miike.
You are warned, the film contains quite “strong” scenes and a very engaging plot...
152071_ppl.jpg

Jacob's Ladder was awesome, I can second that recommendation.

man i'm trying to remember some brazillian movies so i can promote our films hahah
hmm, two that i would recommend are Friendly Beast (the original name is O Animal Cordial, 2017) and A Wolf At The Door (O Lobo Atrás da Porta, 2013):

View attachment 595
In Friendly Beast, a restaurant owner going over the edge when an armed robbery is attempted at his establishment. He holds everyone captive at gunpoint – criminals and customers alike – and situations corrode into a nightmare state, guided by manipulation and raw compulsion.

View attachment 594
Based on real events, and set in Rio de Janeiro, A Wolf at the Door is the nerve-rattling tale of a kidnapped child and the terror of the parents left behind. When Sylvia discovers her six-year-old daughter has been picked up at school by an unknown woman, police summon her husband, Bernardo, to the station for questioning. From that point on, the film takes increasingly sinister turns as it delves into the events that led to the girl’s kidnapping. A Wolf at the Door is a darkly disturbing journey into the extreme limits of the human capacity for obsession and revenge.

See if you can find them subtitled, they're weird and singular......
I was looking into O Lobo Atrás da Porta, I don't know if I'll be able to get the film.
I found it on topdezfilmes.de !
I will need subtitles though, do you know where can I find some? Even if they are in Portuguese I think i can make up 90% of what's being said if I can read it.

i saw the trailer i recognized Olenka from Avenida Brasil haha, that's the only Brazilian Novela i saw btw, it was like a million episodes, I don't watch long things but goddammit! I had to see the end after watching 300 episodes.

I'll try to watch everyone's recommendations!

Last edited:
I was looking into O Lobo Atrás da Porta, I don't know if I'll be able to get the film.
I found it on topdezfilmes.de !
I will need subtitles though, do you know where can I find some? Even if they are in Portuguese I think i can make up 90% of what's being said if I can read it.

i saw the trailer i recognized Olenka from Avenida Brasil haha, that's the only Brazilian Novela i saw btw, it was like a million episodes, I don't watch long things but goddammit! I had to see the end after watching 300 episodes.

I'll try to watch everyone's recommendations!
i remember the exact place i was when they were airing the last episode. Until the early 2000's it was commom here to the last episode of a novela make everybody stop what they're doing and watch it, something that started to slowly disappear through the decay. Then when Avenida Brasil aired, it rescued that feeling and in the last episode i remember to be in a big pizzeria where everybody was in complete silence just looking to the TVs on the walls (except for kids).

Olenka is Fabiula Nascimento, she's hot and great actress.

Anyway, i found these two sites supposedly with a wolf at the door english subtitles to be download: subdl and opensubtitles. I also checked on Stremio and there are english subs too.

I've now finished watching 'O Lobo Atrás da Porta'
and i hate you.
wth man! It just makes you feel awful.
Now I'm scared to watch the other one.

I ended up using that sane opensubtitles but yeah i could understand almost everything without reading except for that character Beth she speaks waaay too fast.

And about the novelas culture I think that's unique to Brasil, I mean there are novelas in many other countries but not at that level of national involvement, most people don't care about them.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back