Confused by all those Chinese retro handhelds

It's done. I listed my deck for sale...
I don't know if you realized but I change opinion 20 times a day.

But yeah.
I got a question now.
I really love the Xbox 360 d-pad.
It's very clicky! And precise on all 8 axys.
Is there anything remotely close in the retro handhelds market?
If not, which one has the best d-pad?

But yeah.
I got a question now.
The only two i know of are anbernic's RG ARC-D (yup the names are terrible) and the RG Cube. They have this genesis dpad style... i just don't know how they feel 'cuz i never played on them.
D-pads in these retro consoles generally doesn't seem to be absolutely precise, so better watch some reviews (retro game corps guy usually tests his dpads trying to execute street fighter commands)

the one in the old RG35XX i had used to be too soft but they made it a little bit stiffier on the "Plus" version, i really like it now.

1727841747442.png
1727843023286.png

Deck is sold, shipping tomorrow. As for these handhelds it's undecided, I'll watch some video reviews and sleep on it. I can't decide. :P I guess an important factor is 0 setup, I just want to copy roms and it should just work and pick up all the metadata and images with a simple rescan of the dir.

hmmm maybe the ones with android will be like that, satisfactory right out of the box. The cheapest linux ones like mine usually have a fucking ugly UI, then i always recommend flashing community's custom firmwares (i use batocera + emulation station for example)

But yeah.
I got a question now.
Sorry to repeat myself, but the d-pad is what sold me on the Retroid Pocket 2S. It's been a long time since I held a 360 controller so I can't directly compare them, but it's my understanding that this is the clickiest or one of the clickiest pads on these things. The 2S can only comfortably do up to Dreamcast (I've seen it said it can do some PS2 and GC, but I haven't tried it and I doubt the performance), but the pads on the newer models look to be the same.

Retroid handhelds are also Android, so they take you through a quick setup kind of look a new Android phone and you're off to the races. If you're familiar with and want to use RetroArch, you could have the thing rolling in less than 10 minutes. I swapped my launcher from the stock one, but it wasn't necessary. I just liked the look of the screenshots for the new one I chose.

The only two i know of are anbernic's RG ARC-D (yup the names are terrible) and the RG Cube. They have this genesis dpad style... i just don't know how they feel 'cuz i never played on them.
D-pads in these retro consoles generally doesn't seem to be absolutely precise, so better watch some reviews (retro game corps guy usually tests his dpads trying to execute street fighter commands)

the one in the old RG35XX i had used to be too soft but they made it a little bit stiffier on the "Plus" version, i really like it now.

View attachment 591 View attachment 592
Yup i think the RG Cube is the winner for me.
hmmm maybe the ones with android will be like that, satisfactory right out of the box. The cheapest linux ones like mine usually have a fucking ugly UI, then i always recommend flashing community's custom firmwares (i use batocera + emulation station for example)
Yes that's exactly what I want to avoid, I don't want to tinker, just play for once. I've been a tinkerer all my life, i want to relax haha.
Sorry to repeat myself, but the d-pad is what sold me on the Retroid Pocket 2S. It's been a long time since I held a 360 controller so I can't directly compare them, but it's my understanding that this is the clickiest or one of the clickiest pads on these things. The 2S can only comfortably do up to Dreamcast (I've seen it said it can do some PS2 and GC, but I haven't tried it and I doubt the performance), but the pads on the newer models look to be the same.

Retroid handhelds are also Android, so they take you through a quick setup kind of look a new Android phone and you're off to the races. If you're familiar with and want to use RetroArch, you could have the thing rolling in less than 10 minutes. I swapped my launcher from the stock one, but it wasn't necessary. I just liked the look of the screenshots for the new one I chose.
I've seen the Retroid Pocket 2S is certainly one of the best. I was about to go for it. I know it can run many PS2 games. But that's really hitting the absolute limit as the person that made the video said. A commenter said:

"I got it for PS2 games, I like it, screen kinda small, runs most PS2 games but after an hour or so it overheats like crazy, the screen and the handheld itself then it becomes unresponsive and have to turn it off.

Everything below PS2 works just fine."

Knowing myself I will want PS2 so I think the RG Cube would be better for me.

Are you okay with the square screen? normally that's what avoid people from rg cube
I don't think it's much of a difference, small letterbox on top and bottom. There are no 4:3 devices (therre are :s) so this is as good as it gets, you can even put an fps counter or something up there, but it doesn't bother me.
4" is a nice upgrade over 3.5
I wanted something small with analog stocks that was powerful, silent, cold. This hit all the checkboxes, the only problem is that ill need to mod the analog sticks cos they don't work well out of the box.
Problem:

Fix:

Last edited:
Now I'm thinking the Retroid Pocket MINI might be better.
I told you I change opinion all the time.

The Benchmarks are awesome, but the price is higher ofc.
The screen is 4:3 and OLED.

Retroid Pocket Mini Impressions_ Worth It. 27-57 screenshot.png

Last edited:
I have a Retroid Pocket Flip and I really like it, however the hinge did crack a bit after only a few months.
20241003_161645.jpg

I have a Retroid Pocket Flip and I really like it, however the hinge did crack a bit after only a few months.
View attachment 697

i'd never have courage to buy any chinese clamshell console because of this. Even with my DS i always have fear of it breaking.

All that matters to me is if it's super cheap and the emulation is good. But I might cave and get something like a FPGBC or a ModRetro Chromatic for my repro carts.

I got a question now.
i don't remember what the xbox 360 feels like but i really like the d-pad of my Ayn Odin Pro

i don't remember what the xbox 360 feels like but i really like the d-pad of my Ayn Odin Pro
I made a mistake, THIS is the d-pad that I like:
d-pad.jpg

i think it's series S, I don't know.
I just own the gamepads not the consoles haha
It's incredible accurate, in Celeste it's like it reads my mind.
When using the Steam Deck it was a nightmare to play Celeste. The game went from hard to easy just like that.

I ordered the pocket mini...
I hope I can stick with it and not sell it :S

Last edited:
I've been rocking my miyoo mini since it's release and it's a great portable system.
I'd love to eventually get a steam deck just to emulate all the classics

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back