Classic Sonic Thread

If I recall correctly (and I know I could just check, lol) Sonic Advanced came out around the same time as SA2. That one "thread-appropriate"?

Dropping some love for Sonic R. All four of its fans know what's up.
Brah! Yas!
Sure, the game seems.... "unfinished" is the word I'd use. But the base there is solid AF. Played TONS of the PC version!
I wish they'd made a sequel (or two) and polished things up.

Brah! Yas!
Sure, the game seems.... "unfinished" is the word I'd use. But the base there is solid AF. Played TONS of the PC version!
I wish they'd made a sequel (or two) and polished things up.
Say what you will about it, you can't deny it's different than any other (popular) racing game at that time.

Ooh, a sequel would be cool, yeah, iron out everything that was wrong about it, double the stages, maybe make them similar to the 3D sonic stages, you could have a winning formula...maybe, I dunno, at the very least, it would make headlines during initial sales.

Say what you will about it, you can't deny it's different than any other (popular) racing game at that time.

Ooh, a sequel would be cool, yeah, iron out everything that was wrong about it, double the stages, maybe make them similar to the 3D sonic stages, you could have a winning formula...maybe, I dunno, at the very least, it would make headlines during initial sales.
Kinda surprised there's not been a "clean-up" hack for the game that does all that.
Granted, the Saturn is a pain to work with (from what I've read) 🤔

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the best. The only thing better than that is the Sonic 3 Complete hack for the Sega Genesis. Yeah I know A.I.R. exists, but I mean on original hardware.

If I recall correctly (and I know I could just check, lol) Sonic Advanced came out around the same time as SA2. That one "thread-appropriate"?
Yeah Sonic Advance connected to the GameCube version of Sonic Adventure 2 that came out like a year later.

I figured out that you can hold an acceleration button and control everyone like a car. It works better with turning than just running with a d-pad.
I get that.
I found that the characters all kinda control like hover crafts. Once I figured that out I was unstoppable! :)

(Insert SEGA)
video games sega GIF

So how DO y'all feel about Sonic Advanced?
1727280989995.png

I found it to be a return to form for the little blue guy. The levels are set up well, the graphics are great, the sound.... is GBA crispy (waddaya gonna do? eh.). But overall, just awesome.
It answered, for me, the little nerd kid question of "What would sonic be like on the SNES?".

Sonic Advance was actually my very first Sonic game, waaaaay back way it was first released, and I remember liking it a lot at the time. (I believe it was actually the first game I ever beat, though not with all emeralds.) These days, though, I really don't enjoy it – while the level design is certainly very open, and the music and graphics are wonderful, I always found many of those levels to be very cluttered and unfocused when you're actually playing them. It's very easy for Sonic and Amy to get "stuck" in the bottom area of each level – they seem to have been designed for Tails and Knuckles to fly around in, which is a bit backwards to me.

I also find a lot of the platforming physics (for Sonic especially) to be pretty sub-par, and I hate everything about the special stages – they're really difficult to find (I prefer it when 50 rings opens a special stage at the end of the level), and actually playing them is a chore because of issues with depth perception. I always feel like I should be getting those rings, but apparently the game says I'm not, so oh well! To this day, I've never fully completed the game's final boss, because I just get bored trekking through each level to find the hidden springs, then playing a special stage that I can't get the hang of.

As a concession, though, Sonic Advance 3 is easily my favourite non-Genesis 2D Sonic game. (I actually like it more than Sonic 2 – YIKES!!!!) The level design is much tighter, there, and I really, really enjoy playing around with all the different character combinations. Some of them grant you some pretty insane abilities that I'd love to see come back to the series (you can spindash on walls with Knuckles and Amy!), and I think the team-up mechanic was done way better here than in Sonic Heroes. I also love the music, and the level theming is very unique for the Sonic series, which I appreciated a lot. The boss battles are great, too! Gee whiz, do I ever like SA3. Too bad it was the one my mother would never buy me as a kid. :cry:

Kinda surprised there's not been a "clean-up" hack for the game that does all that.
Granted, the Saturn is a pain to work with (from what I've read) 🤔
If at least just for legacy and accessibility sake than anything else. If not that, then a PC version mod. I dunno, game modifying is not my forte.

Sega PC games were most of my first experiences with the classic series. I did play them earlier with my cousin but i mostly watched his playthroughs because i was too young at the time. I had a Genesis but only had Sonic 1 for it. So in the early 2000s i got a bunch of Sega PC games dirt cheap like Sega Smash Pack 1 and 2, Sonic and Knuckles Collection, Sonic CD, Sonic R, and Sonic 3D Blast. The only one that refused to work on my Windows XP at the time was Sonic CD. Sonic R wouldn't play any music even after saving in the menu after turning the music on. Yeah my first time playing through Sonic 3 and Knuckles was with the Midi music. Sonic 3D Blast on PC was amazing though because it had the Saturn music. That was epic! Smash Pack 2 was also my first time playing Shining Force which quickly became one of my favorite RPGs ever.

Originally played the genesis games through the mega collection on gamecube and I remember really enjoying sonic 1 but actually getting very frustrated and filtered through Sonic 2 with Chemical Plant, took me years to go back and complete that game. Love the classics even if I prefer the dreamcast games!

I didn't really like these games back when I first played them cause I found them really hard, replaying them later I actually don't mind them as much. Advanced 2 specifically I enjoy cause of all the cool ass tricks that I NEVER knew about playing it on my GBA originally. Still think the games using real big/detailed sprites on a small display hurts the games overall and its real hard to route the levels yourself without consulting a map which makes the levels kinda frustrating. But once you route the level I do think the game can be super fun to blast through grabbing rings for boost mode early and using the right tricks at the right time.

but uh yeah classic games, S3K is the best and most fun to go back to, fuck blue spheres though.

Originally played the genesis games through the mega collection on gamecube and I remember really enjoying sonic 1 but actually getting very frustrated and filtered through Sonic 2 with Chemical Plant, took me years to go back and complete that game. Love the classics even if I prefer the dreamcast games!

I didn't really like these games back when I first played them cause I found them really hard, replaying them later I actually don't mind them as much. Advanced 2 specifically I enjoy cause of all the cool ass tricks that I NEVER knew about playing it on my GBA originally. Still think the games using real big/detailed sprites on a small display hurts the games overall and its real hard to route the levels yourself without consulting a map which makes the levels kinda frustrating. But once you route the level I do think the game can be super fun to blast through grabbing rings for boost mode early and using the right tricks at the right time.

but uh yeah classic games, S3K is the best and most fun to go back to, fuck blue spheres though.
Yeah, never thought about that but backing the perspective out a bit would have made the games a little easier. Good call!

I'm a devout Sonic 3D Blast apologist, it being my first Sonic game might have something to do with that though.
Has anyone here tried the "Director's Cut" hack that was made by its former developer?

I'm a devout Sonic 3D Blast apologist, it being my first Sonic game might have something to do with that though.
Has anyone here tried the "Director's Cut" hack that was made by its former developer?
Was just talking about it on another thread. Yeah, it's dope!🤘

I tried it, still didn't quite like it. It just doesn't click with me but I will say the Saturn version had some neat music.

I tried it, still didn't quite like it. It just doesn't click with me but I will say the Saturn version had some neat music.
Saturn had a 3D controller too. You know what also works? Playing the Genesis version of 3D Blast with a Gamecube controller in the Sonic Mega Collection.

Sonic Mega Collection on GameCube is AWESOME! It has all the classic Sega Genesis Sonic games on top of some bonus titles like Flicky and Ristar! The best part though was all the extra goodies like artwork and comics! The menu music is really nostalgic too! I could listen to that stuff for HOURS!!! Right up there with the menu theme from Smash Melee!

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back