3DO 3DO Defense Club

this thread's for all the madmen who really like the 3DO, despite the fact that it only had about over 250 games and only about nine of them were any good, XD
Not much on there really catches me but I found the business model (licensing the hardware to whomever) really interesting. Doomed to fail, but interesting, none-the-less.

I can't claim to have ever played on a 3DO myself, but my favourite horror game ever, D, was originally one of its killer apps. (From what I understand, it's still considered the best version.) Kenji Eno was very much behind the console (and its cancelled successor, the M2), and had a bunch of interesting plans for D's sequels that never came to fruition when the final versions released on other consoles.

I think the 3DO's hardware model was neat in theory, but I don't think I could ever trust a console that didn't have a very specific set of specifications and build quality. I wouldn't want to be the person stuck with a "worse" version of the console than my friends had, especially for the $700 asking price!

THAT ALL BEING SAID, I still think to this day that the console had some really awesome branding. Just look at this startup animation and tell me you're not ready for some Gex:

Welcome to the REAL world, suckers!

THIS THREAD JUST REMINDED ME!!! Many years ago, I saw a very informative, entertaining video from one of the engineers behind the 3DO on YouTube, and it really gave me some insight into how the console lived and died. After some heavy googling, I was finally able to unearth it, with only 5,500 views to its name! If you have 15 free minutes, this retrospective by Leo Schwab is extremely interesting, and there's plenty of dirt dished on the development team throughout. Check it out!

the only game i ever played on that was the wolfenstein port, wich is still to this day one of my favorite ways to play this old gem.
Screenshot 2024-09-25 042608.png

it just looks so gorgeous and plays so well

I'll eventually pick one up and install an ODE into it. The FZ-1 are the best models for this. They're fairly cheap compared to other more obscure consoles of the time. My local game store has had one for a while.

I remember seeing a huge bunch of them for sale in a pawn shop for £20 20 odd years ago. Stuff was so cheap because nobody knew how to get rid of it. My cousin bought one on release and I got to play NFS, SF2, and Return Fire. Wish the entry costs were cheaper back then because this console would have really given the PS1 a good fight.

THIS THREAD JUST REMINDED ME!!! Many years ago, I saw a very informative, entertaining video from one of the engineers behind the 3DO on YouTube

what a great video. i've always been obsessed with hardware and how all the various ideas behind a platform's inception, from dev-centric philosophies to hardware architecture, eventually determined its fate. i'm not an engineer and my fondest memory was that it, along with the PC-FX heavily featured video decoders to seamlessly introduce cutscenes in games which is ubiquitous now. that unified memory architecture feature i didn't know about and found super cool, especially since the sega saturn looks so terrifically over-engineered as a system of the same gen :ROFLMAO:

Gex chads rise up.
I had it on the 3DO. It was definitely one of the stand-out titles for the platform in it's day.

Gotta be honest though, nowadays I'd rather play the Playstation version, just because it has actual game saves, unlike the 3DO original which only had passwords.

Awesome to see the 3DO getting some love. My cousins got a 3DO at some point in 1994. I remember playing Alone in the Dark, Syndicate, SF2 Turbo, and Star Control 2 on it.

Really enjoyed all the games I tried on it, and eventually got one as a gift about a year later. I had Space Ace, Need for Speed, and Return Fire. I put a ton of time into Need for Speed and Return Fire, but could never get into Space Ace.

About six months after I got the console, it got finicky with reading discs. I still have the console, but haven't fired it up much over the years.

Would really enjoy revisiting Alone in the Dark.

Last edited:
Gex chads rise up.
My first experience with Gex was on the Sega Saturn, and I honestly never got the hate for it. It's a platformer that's challenging (like every other platformer back then) but still fun. Gex's quips weren't really that annoying either, but you could always turn the voice off in the options screen.

Speaking of, I always found it interesting how the voice actor was different between the US and EU versions.
Gotta be honest though, nowadays I'd rather play the Playstation version, just because it has actual game saves, unlike the 3DO original which only had passwords.
You have it the other way arond. It's the 3DO version that had saves. All the other ports uses passwords
Screenshot_2024-10-11_23-36-33.png

My first experience with Gex was on the Sega Saturn, and I honestly never got the hate for it. It's a platformer that's challenging (like every other platformer back then) but still fun. Gex's quips weren't really that annoying either, but you could always turn the voice off in the options screen.

Speaking of, I always found it interesting how the voice actor was different between the US and EU versions.

You have it the other way arond. It's the 3DO version that had saves. All the other ports uses passwords
View attachment 1116
I always found the different voice actors to be such an odd design choice, i assume it has to do with localizing the humor/cultural references but I am not sure about that.
If anything it makes it fun to replay the game to hear the new voice lines and harder for collectors, lol.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back