What is your "White Whale" Game?

mkol103

Novice Adventurer
Reaction score
Do any of you have any games that you think would be right up your alley, but for one reason or another you don't think you'll ever actually play. I feel like I have a lot of these, but the one that comes to mind instantly is Culdcept Revolt.
hero

It's niche, it's a weird RPG strategy board game, its fans swear by this game, and yet... IDK, I feel like this is the kind of game I will need to devote an entire day to trying.
Anything less and there is no way I will be able to get into it.

What about you guys? Have anything similar?

There are several SNES RPGs that I know I would love, but have never gotten around to playing seriously. I have stared all these games in the past, but never got more than an hour into them.

illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Terranigma
Star Ocean

I have played through Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games multiple times, but never gave these others much attention.

Do any of you have any games that you think would be right up your alley, but for one reason or another you don't think you'll ever actually play. I feel like I have a lot of these, but the one that comes to mind instantly is Culdcept Revolt.
hero

It's niche, it's a weird RPG strategy board game, its fans swear by this game, and yet... IDK, I feel like this is the kind of game I will need to devote an entire day to trying.
Anything less and there is no way I will be able to get into it.

What about you guys? Have anything similar?
Eyo I never heard of this one I might try it.I actually love games with unique ideas that's why I tend to like Furyu games.they have a bad execution but they always try new stuff

I have a really hard time playing any 2D Sonics for reasons that I can't explain. I grew up in the 90's playing 8bit and 16bit games, and loved Sonic Adventure since I got it in 2000 - but somehow, the 2D classics just don't click for me.

Damn, I even bought and fixed a japanese Mega Drive 1 (Genesis) to see it would help me, but no dice.

There are several SNES RPGs that I know I would love, but have never gotten around to playing seriously. I have stared all these games in the past, but never got more than an hour into them.

illusion of Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Terranigma
Star Ocean

I have played through Earthbound, Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games multiple times, but never gave these others much attention.
Those are good ones. I tried Star Ocean 2 for like 10 minutes but I found the opening so slow I couldn't stand it. I would really like to play at least Terranigma since I have heard such good things about it.

Eyo I never heard of this one I might try it.I actually love games with unique ideas that's why I tend to like Furyu games.they have a bad execution but they always try new stuff

I have tried to get into a couple Furyu games, but none ever clicked. I tried Lost Dimension on my Vita (RIP) at like 25 FPS and then on my Steam Deck, but I didn't get very far. I tried The Alliance Alive too since the Suikoden writer wrote the scenario, but I dropped it right after the intro where (early game Alliance Alive spoilers)
the main girl loses her sight but can still see because of magic
I have a really hard time playing any 2D Sonics for reasons that I can't explain. I grew up in the 90's playing 8bit and 16bit games, and loved Sonic Adventure since I got it in 2000 - but somehow, the 2D classics just don't click for me.

Damn, I even bought and fixed a japanese Mega Drive 1 (Genesis) to see it would help me, but no dice.
I would recommend playing the old 2D Sonics on their newer ports. If you don't wanna buy Origins, Sonic 1 Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, and Sonic 3 A.I.R are great. I thought I would be the same way with 2D sonic, but I decided to play through Sonic 2 over a weekend and had a great time.

I have tried to get into a couple Furyu games, but none ever clicked. I tried Lost Dimension on my Vita (RIP) at like 25 FPS and then on my Steam Deck, but I didn't get very far. I tried The Alliance Alive too since the Suikoden writer wrote the scenario, but I dropped it right after the intro where (early game Alliance Alive spoilers)
The Alliance alive gets good afterwards tho I didn't finish it tho since i lost my save files.But i mostly talk about newer games
Monark has some very interesting game mechanics as well as Caligula games they maybe be janky but their uniqueness makes them worth trying

The Alliance alive gets good afterwards tho I didn't finish it tho since i lost my save files.But i mostly talk about newer games
Monark has some very interesting game mechanics as well as Caligula games they maybe be janky but their uniqueness makes them worth trying
If you could pick one Furyu game for a newbie to start with, which one would you go with?

If you could pick one Furyu game for a newbie to start with, which one would you go with?
Well here is the thing I only played 4 games by FuRyu and I liked em all for some reason but here is a mini review in each game (aside from alliance alive)
Caligula effect 1 overdose :The game had an enormous potential but alas the execution wasn't really there.The game revolves around a group of people stuck in a place called Mobius .Mobius is basically a place where people have their dreams fulfilled but it's not the real world and people there doesn't even realize that they are in a "dream". The protagonist and his party however does realize that and they try everything they can to return to the real world knowing that they will have to sacrifice their happiness in Mobius .The antagonists however are people that still realize that they live in a false reality but are willing to stay arguing that their goals cannot be fulfilled outside of Mobius.Mobuis is basically run by a JP idol that aside from making people happy by giving them their best lives she sings for for them. And these songs are composed by the antagonists with lyrics basically talking about their traumas or regret in real world which is kinda creative.btw you can join the musicians and have a boss music too just saying(also you play both sides at the same time btw ).the battles system is kinda like composing music too but it's too long to just talk about here but it's very unique.the main critique of caligula effect is .it has psp graphics (though it's originally made in vita )
The horrible dungeon scheme ,the lackluster animations,and the shitty sidequest system that I for one didn't even look for ,like I never played a side quest in caligula.if you happen to play the game chose hard since it's very easy and hard is kinda the normal here.
Caligula 2 : is the sequel it's basically the same thing but more optimized ,better side quests ,better graphics ,better dungeons ,better battle system ,however you cannot be musician so no exclusive boss music for you
Monark :I forgot a good chunck of the game so I'm just gonna tell you what I remember .you start the game by taking a personality test that affect which sin for the 7 deadly sin you're aligned too (the 7 deadly sins here is basically the character class I'm jrpg like fighter ,healer etc) the result you get will decide which character class u obtain as companion after that the school u in suddenly got closed by a big barrier (not sure why ) and then u get teleported in another world to fight some monsters where u struggler to fight them until you make a contact with the monark of vanity.the first part of the game is basically defeating the other monarks (the 7 deadly sins ) and the other part is basically trying to solve the overall mystery . Oh yeah I remember now to go the other world u have to call a certain number each number takes you to certain place so there is that.one.kf then critics of most reviews is that monark is grindy BUT THE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE LATTER MECHANIC.you just need a number that takes you to certain battlefield where they gives you ton of exp, there is also a number that gives you materials too .but the reviews go grind the normal battles which is stupid thing to do. Anyways the battle system of monark is very entertaining and hell you can experiment a lot with the protagonist ability .it can make fight easier it make you lost instantly.my sole critique of the game is that it has your typical Furyu vita graphics and that's it tbh it a quite good game

Well here is the thing I only played 4 games by FuRyu and I liked em all for some reason but here is a mini review in each game (aside from alliance alive)
Caligula effect 1 overdose :The game had an enormous potential but alas the execution wasn't really there.The game revolves around a group of people stuck in a place called Mobius .Mobius is basically a place where people have their dreams fulfilled but it's not the real world and people there doesn't even realize that they are in a "dream". The protagonist and his party however does realize that and they try everything they can to return to the real world knowing that they will have to sacrifice their happiness in Mobius .The antagonists however are people that still realize that they live in a false reality but are willing to stay arguing that their goals cannot be fulfilled outside of Mobius.Mobuis is basically run by a JP idol that aside from making people happy by giving them their best lives she sings for for them. And these songs are composed by the antagonists with lyrics basically talking about their traumas or regret in real world which is kinda creative.btw you can join the musicians and have a boss music too just saying(also you play both sides at the same time btw ).the battles system is kinda like composing music too but it's too long to just talk about here but it's very unique.the main critique of caligula effect is .it has psp graphics (though it's originally made in vita )
The horrible dungeon scheme ,the lackluster animations,and the shitty sidequest system that I for one didn't even look for ,like I never played a side quest in caligula.if you happen to play the game chose hard since it's very easy and hard is kinda the normal here.
Caligula 2 : is the sequel it's basically the same thing but more optimized ,better side quests ,better graphics ,better dungeons ,better battle system ,however you cannot be musician so no exclusive boss music for you
Monark :I forgot a good chunck of the game so I'm just gonna tell you what I remember .you start the game by taking a personality test that affect which sin for the 7 deadly sin you're aligned too (the 7 deadly sins here is basically the character class I'm jrpg like fighter ,healer etc) the result you get will decide which character class u obtain as companion after that the school u in suddenly got closed by a big barrier (not sure why ) and then u get teleported in another world to fight some monsters where u struggler to fight them until you make a contact with the monark of vanity.the first part of the game is basically defeating the other monarks (the 7 deadly sins ) and the other part is basically trying to solve the overall mystery . Oh yeah I remember now to go the other world u have to call a certain number each number takes you to certain place so there is that.one.kf then critics of most reviews is that monark is grindy BUT THE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE LATTER MECHANIC.you just need a number that takes you to certain battlefield where they gives you ton of exp, there is also a number that gives you materials too .but the reviews go grind the normal battles which is stupid thing to do. Anyways the battle system of monark is very entertaining and hell you can experiment a lot with the protagonist ability .it can make fight easier it make you lost instantly.my sole critique of the game is that it has your typical Furyu vita graphics and that's it tbh it a quite good game
Sounds interesting. I think The Alliance Alive sounds the most approachable of the 4, so if I ever go back to that well, I will probably start with that game.

I would recommend playing the old 2D Sonics on their newer ports. If you don't wanna buy Origins, Sonic 1 Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, and Sonic 3 A.I.R are great. I thought I would be the same way with 2D sonic, but I decided to play through Sonic 2 over a weekend and had a great time.
I have tried Sonic Generations on the 3DS, but I didn't get very far. I'll give a try to some Sonic games on portmaster this week, see if they click.

I have tried Sonic Generations on the 3DS, but I didn't get very far. I'll give a try to some Sonic games on portmaster this week, see if they click.
I actually really liked Sonic Generations on 3DS, but that game's not very representative of classic 2D Sonic. I think Sonic 2 is the best game to start with because it's like the perfect length and has pretty good level design. Sonic 2 on Portmaster is pretty good, but I would recommend Sonic 2 Forever if possible since it's more polished

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back