Anime What are some great standalone anime movies"?

StMil

Staff member
Reaction score
Which standalone anime movies do you recommend?
And by standalone, I mean original movies which are not connected to an existing series or manga (other than adaptions, such as Akira and Ghost in the Shell).

Here's a few of my favorites which spring to mind:

- Tokyo Godfathers
- Drifting Home
- Almost anything by Studio Ghibli
- Perfect Blue
- Akira
- Paprika

Skycrawlers and Eve no jikan mean a lot to me personally, not sure I'd call them great though.
Luiq.gif
tumblr_c0749a56ff5f200ed9ad4c94d92e954e_5309608b_540.gif

Though Stranger's a pretty good film that's always easy to recommend.
90e0b5dc445a1f9b4a19d12261efdfaa.gif

Vampire Hunter D
Venus Wars
Ninja Scroll
Princess Mononoke
Akira
Ghost in The Shell
Cowboy Bebop

Tokyo Godfather's great
It really is!

It's been my favorite Christmas movie for years. I watch it every Christmas. It's the perfect blend of drama, comedy and even action etc. And it's a real tear-jerker at times too.

If anyone reading this hasn't seen it yet then you owe it to yourself to give it a watch this Xmas. ;)

It really is!

It's been my favorite Christmas movie for years. I watch it every Christmas. It's the perfect blend of drama, comedy and even action etc. And it's a real tear-jerker at times too.

If anyone reading this hasn't seen it yet then you owe it to yourself to give it a watch this Xmas. ;)

Very welll put, it's very funny but also has a lot of really really dark stuff, you wouldnt expect thered be
teens beating a homeless old man for fun

And all three hobos had their own story..

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is!

Best Christmas movie ever.

7e17aac6979b7b9168741c935f80f002.jpg
Genius Party is my favourite movie – LIKE, EVER!!! It's a stunningly-beautiful anthology film collecting several short pieces from the most popular anime directors of the 2000s, like Masaki Yuasa (❤️❤️❤️) and Cowboy Bebop's Shinichiro Watanabe (who's final segment of the film is one of the most touching pieces of kino I've ever seen in my life). Every short is utterly unique in plot, structure, animation, and style, but all are colourful, intelligent, crazy, and just an awful lot of fun.

I was going to say which of these shorts was my favourite, but I realized that's impossible – they're all excellent, and, despite being completely separate from one another, all contribute to the overall tone and flair of the movie. This is what I love about anime, and why my preferred material from the medium was made at this time. Phenomenal ending song, too! None of this applies to sequel, though, because it SUCKS!!!

Malice%40Doll_DVD.png
Malice@Doll is a bizarre, disgusting, fucked-up film from Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain), but I like it a lot. It's about a half-dead, broken-down sex android living in a filthy post-apocalyptic society with several other rusty, crumbling robots, endlessly playing out their duties for an audience of nobody. One day, when a gross alien creature arrives on her world, the protagonist is infected with a disease that turns her mechanical parts into flesh, and starts spreading it to her friends. AND THE FUN ONLY STARTS THERE!

This movie was made right at the point when Japanese animators were getting hold of longform CGI technology, and a lot of shortcuts and cheats are used (pre-rendered images instead of models, etc.). I find the animation fascinating, though, and the story is very cerebral and quite scary. For budgetary reasons, it was originally released as a three-episode OVA series, but was repackaged as a movie, and that's the best way to watch it. Recommended, but... don't eat first.

/\ Wow, Malice@Doll sounds interesting.

It doesn't seem to have a good reception critically, but the concept is so crazy and weird that I feel like I should take a look at some point.
Not the sort of thing I'd usually watch, but it does sound interesting at least from a sci-fi perspective.

It doesn't seem to have a good reception critically
WELL, I LIKED IT!!! Keep in mind that it's very NSFW and pretty disturbing, though – I think it's probably the Lain guy's darkest work. (Which is saying something!) If you're OK with that, then it's quite a good, original watch – the characters are all very interesting, and the plotline is engaging. You never quite know what's going to happen next, which surely is a good thing for any movie. I can't say more than that without spoiling things, but if you like grimy, ugly little movies about disgusting sex and violence (like me! ::banana), I'd totally give it a go. Just be warned: it isn't for the faint of heart.

/\ Wow, Malice@Doll sounds interesting.

It doesn't seem to have a good reception critically, but the concept is so crazy and weird that I feel like I should take a look at some point.
Not the sort of thing I'd usually watch, but it does sound interesting at least from a sci-fi perspective.
It has some admittedly archaic animation and content that some might find questionable, but I personally thought it was worth a watch if anything because of its oddity.

Maquia: When the Promised Flowers Bloom

1729038359088.png

Stellar, capital movie. I've seen it in both sub and dub and I've cried listening to both versions.

The plot is that a race of people who live far longer than humans are almost all killed, leaving Maquia and a handful of others alive. Maquia adopts a human boy whose family had died and has to deal with the idea that she will outlive them and everyone else who she's ever known.

It is amazing in almost all aspects and I can't help but shill it.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

No members online now.