[TV/Cinema] New VG Adaptations

lucasgvse

Staff member
Writers Guild
CDR Curator
Reaction score
You know, Marvel Cinematic Universe started to flop, we don't know if DC cinematic reboot will be popular and so on...

Cinema and Television studios started to see video game franchises as their new gold mine, with live action adaptations of Sonic The Hedhehog and The Last of Us being a success. And they'll keep doing more!

I personally loved the idea of this amazon's Secret Level series, have you seen it? It will be 15 episodes, each based on a different IP:

Armored Core
Concord
Crossfire
Dungeons & Dragons
Exodus
Honor of Kings
Mega Man
New World: Aeternum
Pac-Man
PlayStation games
Sifu
Spelunky
The Outer Worlds
Unreal Tournament
Warhammer 40,000

What do you guys think of it? What new movies or series have you liked or hated?

Super Mario Bros. movie and the Sonic movies have been pretty good. I also like Sonic Prime. That's for the new stuff. I'm not into any of the AAA games so i never bothered to watch their movies or Netflix series. Hated both of the Castlevania Neflix shows too. Sonic Prime was good but should have been all in one season. Netflix milked that series. Knuckles series was alright but it focused more on Wade than Knuckles. Not into Halo, not into Borderlands, not into Fallout, not into the Tomb Raider reboot, none of that interested me. If you want my older favorite video game adaptations you'd have to go back to the 80s to 90s to early 2000s. Stuff like Kirby Right Back At Ya, F-Zero, Pokemon, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Bomberman Generations, Parappa The Rapper, Red Photon Zillion, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Sonic SatAM, ect. That stuff is solid.

Sega is going to make some more games into movies.
Shinobi movie
Eternal Champions
Jesus christ, that was my fear. Them all, like, just taking any cheap IP to make a movie and flooding cinemas with bad movies.

Mario's movie wasn't the huge success i thought it would be. Probably next movies will be bigger... imagine, Illumination Studios and Nintendo decides to create a Smash Bros film, just like the Avengers Uhauhauahuaha

One that i wonder if could be a money farm is the rumoured Kingdom Hearts movie! If they keep a good control of quality on the script, reducing all the nomurian exagerations while inteligently taking advantage of Disney's characters... man.... .. a new level of nostalgia. Much more people are nostalgic for Disney animations than are nostalgic for hero comics. Think about it. If they made each world visited have a particular artistic style, resemblant of its original movie!!! Even better, imagine if Sora and others were live action, real persons!!!!! Something like Space Jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Some of those Secret Level choices are really weird. Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer 40,000 aren't really video game IPs, and they're doing one on "Playstation games"? I hope that episode is long enough, because that covers everything from Medal of Honor to Gaball Screen. I also thought that by "Crossfire", they meant the board game, but apparently it's supposed to be an FPS MMO from 2007? Is this show being partially funded by the Korean government or something?

ALSO:
Britney Spears GIF

Jesus christ, that was my fear. Them all, like, just taking any cheap IP to make a movie and flooding cinemas with bad movies.

Mario's movie wasn't the huge success i thought it would be. Probably next movies will be bigger... imagine, Illumination Studios and Nintendo decides to create a Smash Bros film, just like the Avengers Uhauhauahuaha

One that i wonder if could be a money farm is the rumoured Kingdom Hearts movie! If they keep a good control of quality on the script, reducing all the nomurian exagerations while inteligently taking advantage of Disney's characters... man.... .. a new level of nostalgia. Much more people are nostalgic for Disney animations than are nostalgic for hero comics. Think about it. If they made each world visited have a particular artistic style, resemblant of its original movie!!! Even better, imagine if Sora and others were live action, real persons!!!!! Something like Space Jam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg
Sega adapting their IPs is what i actually wanted them to do. Their IPs have been largely ignored. Disney makes their animated movies look like realistic animals in live action. Sega makes their characters like Sonic actually look like a cartoon in real life. That's the difference. They also have a bunch of IPs that are humans like with Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Yakuza just to name a few. Those should translate well to live action. Heck Sega Saturn already gave us a look at a live action Shinobi with Shinobi Legions/Shinobi X. I'd totally watch a marathon of ninja movies like that.

I wouldn't say good. Not making a direct adaptation of any one game was a good decision, and the protagonist also brought a nice dynamic. Everything else was just bog standard television meant to just check boxes on being a 'cinematic experience.' It was relatively safe, and was just simply not a bad adaptation- that is unless you're the type who has no tolerance for cheesy hollywood action sequences, since then you'd probably put it straight in the gutter.

The original Super Mario Bros. live action movie was actually good and i wanted to see the sequel we never got. I think the setting is awesome. It's nothing like the games, but as a standalone thing? Great world building and lore.

they're doing one on "Playstation games"?
My guess is they're doing an Astrobot episode. Something with a protagonist interacting with many of sony IPs somehow. We can see Kratos is in our "real world" in the trailer, or at least a normal city with buildings and stuff.

Anyway, i found this post on IGN listing all the ongoing projects. Many of them i didn't knew about.

Video Game Movies in 2024 and Beyond:
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (December 20, 2024)
A Minecraft Movie (April 4, 2025)
Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 (Dec. 5, 2025)
Street Fighter (March 20, 2026)
The Super Mario Bros. Movie 2 (April 3, 2026)
The Legend of Zelda (TBA)
Ghost of Tsushima (TBA)
Until Dawn (TBA)
The Sims (TBA)
Gears of War (TBA)
Mortal Kombat 2 (TBA)
Return to Silent Hill (TBA)
Death Stranding (TBA)
Days Gone (TBA)
Dredge (TBA)
Pokemon: Detective Pikachu 2 (TBA)
Stray (TBA)
BioShock (TBA)
Space Channel 5 (TBA)
Comix Zone (TBA)
Video Game TV Shows in 2024 and Beyond:
Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft (October 10, 2024)
Like a Dragon: Yakuza (October 25 and November 1, 2024)
Arcane: Season 2 (November 2024)
The Last of Us: Season 2 (2025)
Fallout: Season 2 (TBA)
The Witcher: Season 4 and 5 (TBA)
God of War (TBA)
Gears of War (TBA)
Devil May Cry Anime (TBA)
Twisted Metal: Season 2 (TBA)
Assassin's Creed (TBA)
Splinter Cell (TBA)
Castlevania: Nocturne: Season 2 (TBA)

They also mention some rumoured project, as Disco Elysium, Child of Light and Metal Gear Solid.

I don't know, i'm curious about some of these, like amazon's God Of War. I wish they choose good directors and showrunners, so they can find intelligent ways to adapt these stories, cuz i'm tired of shallow narratives more than i'm tired of super heroes per se and i don't want this repeating with adaptations of video games i love.

Last edited:
My guess is they're doing an Astrobot episode. Something with a protagonist interacting with many of sony IPs somehow. We can see Kratos is in our "real world" in the trailer, or at least a normal city with buildings and stuff.

Anyway, i found this post on IGN listing all the ongoing projects. Many of them i didn't knew about.

Video Game Movies in 2024 and Beyond:
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (December 20, 2024)
A Minecraft Movie (April 4, 2025)
Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 (Dec. 5, 2025)
Street Fighter (March 20, 2026)
The Super Mario Bros. Movie 2 (April 3, 2026)
The Legend of Zelda (TBA)
Ghost of Tsushima (TBA)
Until Dawn (TBA)
The Sims (TBA)
Gears of War (TBA)
Mortal Kombat 2 (TBA)
Return to Silent Hill (TBA)
Death Stranding (TBA)
Days Gone (TBA)
Dredge (TBA)
Pokemon: Detective Pikachu 2 (TBA)
Stray (TBA)
BioShock (TBA)
Space Channel 5 (TBA)
Comix Zone (TBA)
Video Game TV Shows in 2024 and Beyond:
Tomb Raider: The Legend of Lara Croft (October 10, 2024)
Like a Dragon: Yakuza (October 25 and November 1, 2024)
Arcane: Season 2 (November 2024)
The Last of Us: Season 2 (2025)
Fallout: Season 2 (TBA)
The Witcher: Season 4 and 5 (TBA)
God of War (TBA)
Gears of War (TBA)
Devil May Cry Anime (TBA)
Twisted Metal: Season 2 (TBA)
Assassin's Creed (TBA)
Splinter Cell (TBA)
Castlevania: Nocturne: Season 2 (TBA)

They also mention some rumoured project, as Disco Elysium, Child of Light and Metal Gear Solid.

I don't know, i'm curious about some of these, like amazon's God Of War. I wish they choose good directors and showrunners, so they can find intelligent ways to adapt these stories, cuz i'm tired of shallow narratives more than i'm tired of super heroes per se and i don't want this repeating with adaptations of video games i love.
Sega needs to stop announcing movies and forgetting them. Also we need a real Golden Axe movie, not a parody cartoon on Comedy Central like Star Trek Below Decks.

You know, Marvel Cinematic Universe started to flop, we don't know if DC cinematic reboot will be popular and so on...

Cinema and Television studios started to see video game franchises as their new gold mine, with live action adaptations of Sonic The Hedhehog and The Last of Us being a success. And they'll keep doing more!

I personally loved the idea of this amazon's Secret Level series, have you seen it? It will be 15 episodes, each based on a different IP:

Armored Core
Concord
Crossfire
Dungeons & Dragons
Exodus
Honor of Kings
Mega Man
New World: Aeternum
Pac-Man
PlayStation games
Sifu
Spelunky
The Outer Worlds
Unreal Tournament
Warhammer 40,000

What do you guys think of it? What new movies or series have you liked or hated?
I find it so funny that Sony was so overly confident about Concord that they probably paid good money to Amazon for an episode on this upcoming show yet the game is already dead.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back