THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

Scoot Summers

New Challenger
Reaction score
What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a selection of some of the most significant and greatest video game soundtracks.

RALLY-X (1980) - Toshio Kai
Considered the first soundtrack of all time in video games, it is important to add it here. is quite enjoyable, taking into account the limitations of the time. This song can be enjoyed as a ringtone or alarm setup.

(Here is the only upload that i could find of the main theme, enjoy it (●'◡'●) )

MEGAMAN 2 (1988) - Takashi Tateishi and Manami Matsumae
Although some of the 2,600 games feature music (such as Pirfal 2, Dig Dug, and Ghostbusters), more complex soundtracks emerged with the NES. Notable first-party titles like Mario, Kirby, Zelda, and Startropics showcased some of the console's best music, alongside iconic third-party tracks from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and many Konami and Sunsoft titles. Undeniably, one of the standout soundtracks is Mega Man 2; while it may be an easy choice, its jazz and electronic influences make it one of the most iconic in the entire catalog.
PS: Any soundtrack made by Geoff Follin, Tim Follin and David Wise is also worth checking out.

(Here is the whole OST enjoy it (★ ω ★))

CHRONO TRIGGER (1995) - Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu And Noriko Matsueda
One of the best soundtracks of all time, its compositions perfectly capture the adventure across time and the constant changes while maintaining a consistent style, which is enjoyable. The SNES features impressive music, and really skillfull developers using sampling and converting orchestral sounds to fit the sound chip are admirable. Final Fantasy 6 showcases an opera within these limitations, and Earthbound sounds amazing with its constant sampling. However this soundtrack exemplifies the era's limitations and the system's execution. While I recognize that the Genesis has great music, I don't believe it offers a soundtrack comparable to Chrono Trigger.

(Here's the complete soundtrack; I recommend "The Corridors of Time.")

Silent Hill (1999) - Akira Yamaoka​

During the PS1, Sega Saturn, and N64 era, the larger format allowed for more complex music, enabling talented composers like Nobuo Uematsu, Michiru Yamane, and Hitoshi Sakimoto to create great soundtracks. However, Silent Hill stands out for its atmospheric integration of music and gameplay. While intricate music can sometimes distract from the game, Silent Hill's soundtrack enhances the experience with its minimalist approach, deepening the overall atmosphere.

(Not tomorrow is a great example of this simple but effective aproach ψ(._. )> )

Celeste (2018) - Lena Raine​

This is undoubtedly one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. The use of synthesizers and pianos creates a personal yet grand atmosphere that perfectly complements the game's theme. Even as you face constant deaths, the soothing music encourages you to keep moving forward, making it an amazing experience from beginning to end.

(There are no skips on the soundtrack) (⓿_⓿)

I would love to hear your thoughts on video game soundtracks. I know I’ve missed many systems and soundtracks, but I’ll cover them all soon. (o|o)

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back