PS1 The Best PS1 demos you played

DarcyT

New Challenger
Writers Guild
Reaction score
We all knew this was going to be part of the conversation eventually, you sort of don't talk about the PlayStation without mentioning the demos. Whether included as a compo-disc with PlayStation Magazine, or included with a full game from the same publisher (or some other third way that I didn't mention), there were PS1 demos everywhere, ya couldn't stop them.

So, I'm curious as to what memories people have of any particular game demos, what were your favourites, what made you buy the full game etc.

For me, as unfortunate as the outcome was, as a kid, I was completely enraptured by the demo for Gex 3. Now, because I don't live in the US, the jokes were different and didn't mention phased-out celebrities. But I absolutely loved crawling along the walls in such an organic way that I didn't noticed the clunky platforming until I bought it and, you know, actually sat down to play it...

For real?! Wait...the 2D one, or the 3D one?
The 3D one was the one I played. I didn't play many fighting games and it was the first X-Men game I played even though I wasn't really into the X-Men franchise. Then again I don't know if my cousin had other PS1 demo discs or if it was just that one.

The 3D one was the one I played. I didn't play many fighting games and it was the first X-Men game I played even though I wasn't really into the X-Men franchise. Then again I don't know if my cousin had other PS1 demo discs or if it was just that one.
Aww...well, that game is still cool, in its own way. I mean, it was the 90s, you were going to get exposed to X-Men one way or another. Ehh, doesn't really matter, you still technically demoed it. Now that you mention it, there weren't a lot of demos for license based games...I guess they just assumed the games would sell on name alone.

Aww...well, that game is still cool, in its own way. I mean, it was the 90s, you were going to get exposed to X-Men one way or another. Ehh, doesn't really matter, you still technically demoed it. Now that you mention it, there weren't a lot of demos for license based games...I guess they just assumed the games would sell on name alone.
I think the Atlantis game was also on his demo disc as well as the Monsters, Inc. Scream Team.

I think the Atlantis game was also on his demo disc as well as the Monsters, Inc. Scream Team.
It probably does check out, both Atlantis and Monsters Inc came out in 2001, and X-Men in 2000. That's about the only link I could guess at as X-Men were under the Fox Corporation umbrella then, I think, so probably wouldn't play nice with Disney.

The PSX Demo Discs were some of the highlights of my life. I grew up relatively poor middle class, yet my parents pulled through to buy me PSX a year after release. That said, I didn't own many games growing up but I did play the Demo Discs a whole lot. Anyways, some of my fondest favorites were: Dino Crisis, Resident Evil 2, Vib Ribbon, Silent Bomber, Future Cop L.A.P.D., Armored Core, Kula World, Kurushi, Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain, Syphon Filter, Tomba!, and Unholy War.

I didn't have a PSX as a kid, but I had a neighbor who did. He had several of those demo discs that came with magazines and one that piqued my interest was a ninja game. At one point it would get dark and start raining, with enemy ninjas emerging from the darkness and the threat of getting struck by lightning keeping me on my toes. It had atmosphere unlike anything I'd ever seen up until that point and blew me away.
A couple years ago I found out the demo was for a game called Ninja: Shadow of Darkness. I have yet to actually play the game and it prolly sucks, but I'll never forget how I felt playing that demo over 20 years ago.

Demo 01
Kula world, Medieval, Grand Turismo, Tekken 3 and something else i think it was Spice world?
i use that demo's nostalgic bgm on my arcade setup

Last edited:
It probably does check out, both Atlantis and Monsters Inc came out in 2001, and X-Men in 2000. That's about the only link I could guess at as X-Men were under the Fox Corporation umbrella then, I think, so probably wouldn't play nice with Disney.
I think my little cousin had Aladdin and Emperor's New Groove demos.

Team Buddies, hands down. It was on an OPM demo disc. Spent a huge portion of a summer playing just the demo with two friends as a kid. The game is super underrated.

I've tried playing the full game as an adult but the magic just isn't there as far as a single player experience goes in my opinion, it really kind of relies on local multiplayer to be fun.

What immediately comes to mind is the demo disc that had Orient Express from Crash 3. Had a bunch of demo discs from playstation magazine, but they're long gone now.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back