PS2 PS2 Racing Games

Ajderniz

New Challenger
Writers Guild
Reaction score
This is more of an inquiry than anything else. I love racing games, sometimes, when in the mood, y'know?
Especially if they're easy, arcade-y, and have lots of nice, cool cars I won't even pretend to know the makes of.​
What's funny, I've not played many racing games that I remember. Yes, I played the NFS titles, and loved them, then played the single best arcade racing game ever made: Ridge Racer Type 4, but that's not even a PS2 title...
rrt4.jpg
So, are you a casual racist like me? What are some of your favorite PS2 racing games?​

I'll start by mentioning Need For Speed: Underground 1.​
nfsu.jpg
Nobody's favorite, not the first choice. It's linear, has ridiculous rubber-banding, not to mention the physics when you dare touch a foreign object while taking a turn, and forces you to tweak your car in order to advance to other stages. But it also has a killer soundtrack, cool stages, and feels amazing when you are doing good at a race; also, it has one of the best starter cars ever: the Mazda Miata. If I recall correctly, this baby had the best handling in all of the game. I tried switching cars later in the game but couldn't, because no other car allowed me to laugh in the face of Death as much as the Miata did.​

I loved the NFS Underground games. The crazy customization options for paint jobs, decals and the absurd underlighting were so good. I wish they would bring the series back.

4822256-test-drive-unlimited-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

Test Drive Unlimited is another game that I really enjoyed. It was one of the first games that I played with an open map and was almost more fun just to drive around and explore than actually play any of the races and challenges.

I hate realistic driving simulators because you can't control them with a controller, you need a wheel for it. But arcade-y style racers? YES. ALL MY YES.

That one time Namco tried their hand at making an open world Ridge Racer spin off inspired by the likes of Driver
8cjG7.webp
and Grand Theft Auto.
It beats me as to why this never got an international release, but hey, at least we can easily download it these days. I want to dedicate some time to this game later down the line.

I've never been a fan of racing games, much less simulated ones. However, with the three Ridge Racer games (and Rage Racer especially) I really enjoyed them. Excuse me if I may sound trite!

Crusin' USA, Crusin' World, OutRun, OutRunners, OutRun 2019, Turbo OutRun, OutRun 2006, OutRun 2, Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2, Daytona USA 3, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Snowboard Kids, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Revolt, Crash Team Racing, Lego Racers, F-Zero, F-Zero X, F-Zero GX, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, F-Zero GP Legend, F-Zero Climax...

MixCollage-12-Oct-2024-05-50-PM-9827.jpg

On the PS2 my favorites are OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Ridge Racer V and Burnout 3

Both OR2 and RRV were developed by teams that worked on Rave Racer which to me will always be the pinnacle of Arcade racers. Burnout 3 was the last great American Arcade Racer ™ and the best in the series.

5 is not the complete video game 4 was, 5 was more like the port of Rave Racer we never got. In Type 4 the cars feel more heavy and slower than in 5, but that's how the series always was like. The PSP Ridge Racer games are a balance of the two.

5 is not the complete video game 4 was, 5 was more like the port of Rave Racer we never got. In Type 4 the cars feel more heavy and slower than in 5, but that's how the series always was like. The PSP Ridge Racer games are a balance of the two.
Sounds like the PSPs are the ones I'll have to check out, then!

Crusin' USA, Crusin' World, OutRun, OutRunners, OutRun 2019, Turbo OutRun, OutRun 2006, OutRun 2, Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2, Daytona USA 3, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, Snowboard Kids, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Revolt, Crash Team Racing, Lego Racers, F-Zero, F-Zero X, F-Zero GX, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, F-Zero GP Legend, F-Zero Climax...
I did enjoy the Crusin' series on the N64 and in the arcade.

I did enjoy the Crusin' series on the N64 and in the arcade.
There was a pizza joint that had Crusin' USA I used to go to all the time too. They kept it for a long time until more recently when they got rid of the old arcade machines for stupid gambling ones.

Just a reminder: The OP specified PS2 racing games.
He explicitly mentioned PS2 in the thread title AND gave the thread a PS2 tag.

So please keep this thread for discussing PS2 racing games, and make new threads for discussing racing games on other platforms. Thank you!

Edit: I've edited the thread title now, to make it more clear.

Last edited:
View attachment 1148

On the PS2 my favorites are OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast, Ridge Racer V and Burnout 3

Both OR2 and RRV were developed by teams that worked on Rave Racer which to me will always be the pinnacle of Arcade racers. Burnout 3 was the last great American Arcade Racer ™ and the best in the series.
Episode 8 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

Ah, a connoisseur I see.
Bravo. Excellent taste. 👏👏👏

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back