Is there any tutorial that help decompress PS1 files ?

TheWanderer

Novice Adventurer
Writers Guild
Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying to learn rom hacking on a PS1 game but I'm having difficulties with decompressing some files. I'm still rough around the edge with assembly so want to know if there is a good tutorial out there that gets me started.

I use Winrar to open the compressed zip file and then I extract the .cue with all the .bin files to the same folder in whatever sd card you are using. These files need to stay together to work properly. Are you trying to play on a chipped PS1 and you need to burn to a disc or are you playing on an emulator or on a softmodded device? I could help you more with this information.

I use Winrar to open the compressed zip file and then I extract the .cue with all the .bin files to the same folder in whatever sd card you are using. These files need to stay together to work properly. Are you trying to play on a chipped PS1 and you need to burn to a disc or are you playing on an emulator or on a softmodded device? I could help you more with this information.
Thanks for replaying but thats not my goal i want to learn how to modify assests/text in game
but some game files are compressed in a way that no one knows how to decompress it
the only way to do that is to trace how the game decompressed the file in assembly.However i don't know exactly how

Thanks for replaying but thats not my goal i want to learn how to modify assests/text in game
but some game files are compressed in a way that no one knows how to decompress it
the only way to do that is to trace how the game decompressed the file in assembly.However i don't know exactly how
Oh I see, context! I hope you find a solution to this issue.

I moved this here.
I think you should improve the question adding details of what game is it, what are the files names and extension.
Cos every game is different and they'd need to know that to look and answer.

There's no generic tool to do that afaik.

I moved this here.
I think you should improve the question adding details of what game is it, what are the files names and extension.
Cos every game is different and they'd need to know that to look and answer.

There's no generic tool to do that afaik.
Yeah I know
I wasn't asking for a tool . More like how to decompress thought disassembly.since unfortunately I couldn't find how to decompress the files of the game using the conventional means
I'm gonna watch that tuto you sent me and see where it goes

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back