• Format Paper magazine
  • Publisher Shinseisha, Ltd.
  • First issue Issue #001: May 5, 1986
  • Final issue Issue #274: September 30, 1999
  • Country Japan
  • Language Japanese
A backup of issues 1-169 + other newer issues can be found on the Archive:
https://archive.org/search?query=creator:"Shinseisha"+gamest&sort=title

Gamest was a gaming magazine published by Shinseisha from 1986 to 1999. It specialized in arcade games, and due to its high level of expertise, it reached a peak circulation of 300,000 copies, gaining significant popularity. However, it ceased publication when Shinseisha went bankrupt.

Overview
The magazine was launched in April 1986 (May issue) as a bimonthly publication after Shinseisha approached VG2 (Very Good Video Gamers), a major video game circle at the time, asking them to "recreate VG2's newsletter as a commercial magazine." The first editor-in-chief was Tomokita Uemura, the head of VG2.

The tagline on the cover of the inaugural issue was "A High Score Magazine for Game Fans," reflecting its initial focus on arcade shooting games. However, in its early stages, the magazine did not exclusively cover arcade games and also featured TV games and PC games like The Legend of Zelda and Mighty Bomb Jack. Starting with the sixth issue, the magazine became a monthly publication, and it gained further traction during the boom of competitive fighting games. From issue 116 in 1994, it began publishing twice a month, becoming a leading arcade game magazine.

In 1999, due to the sudden bankruptcy of Shinseisha, the magazine was discontinued without being able to release its final issue. The de facto final issue was number 274 (September 30th issue), published on August 30, 1999.

Afterward, many of the staff members moved to ASCII (now Enterbrain) and launched Monthly Arcadia, another arcade game magazine.

On May 25, 2022, a former editorial staff member created an official Twitter account, and on June 1, an official YouTube channel was opened.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast
Back