Games that feel like Japan?

RobotPS2

New Challenger
Reaction score
What games (any platform) have you played or heard of that feel like you're in Japan?
Or in a city/rural town.
Generally an atmosphere where you want to explore, and you feel like you're there.
Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

wow GIF

Here's some:

-Chulip (PS2)
-Boku no Natsuyasumi series (PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP)
-Akiba's Trip 1 and 2 (PS3/PSP/PC) ?
-Persona 5 Royal ?
-Simple 2000 Series Ultimate Vol. 17: Taisen! Bakudan Poi Poi (Japan) PS2 ?
-Simple 2000 Series Vol. 88: The Mini-suke Police (Japan) PS2 ?
-Mystical Ninja Goemon Zero (Prototype) PS2 ?
-Harvest Moon games, Animal Crossing games.

Maybe to some extent also:
-Disney Infinity 2.0 (PC)
-Toy Story 2 (PC/N64/PS1/Dreamcast)
-Stuart Little 2 (PC/PS1).
-MDK ? (PS1)
-Driver 2 (PS1)
-Prototype (PC)
-Just Cause 2 (PC)
-Simpsons Hit and Run (PC/Xbox/PS2/GameCube)
-The Incredible Hulk (PS2)
-Sitting Ducks ? (PS2)
-Bully (PC/PS2)
-GTA games
-L.A. Noire
-Mafia 1/2

There's probably some Action RPGs with this immersive open world feel.
Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1) maybe.

Last edited:
Persona 4 is the biggest example. I'm not the biggest fan of it but the vibes are immaculate.
The Shin Chan Summer Vacation games also encapsulate that feeling
Twilight Town in Kingdom Hearts II

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games in general, I don't know why but it's probably a Square Enix effects. Got that kind of feeling from the buildings, environments, landscapes and characters.
screenshots_en-9FR0Z0VDf.jpg

bloggerpicture.jpg

Racing Lagoon made me want to go to South Yokohama at midnight. The game's vibe is immaculate.

I've never been to Japan so I'm not really sure. My best guess is the Yakuza games or Shenmue.

The first thing that comes to mind is Earth Defense Force, it encompasses the entire planet but most of the series
capsule_616x353.jpg
takes place in urban areas of Japan which are entirely destructible and often under attack bygiant bugs and monsters.

Another title that comes to mind is Robot Alchemy Drive, by the
robotalchemicdrive-1650818788427.jpg
same developer as EDF (Sandlot), it also happens to take place in Japanese cities and has a far more anime approach to its story and characters, you control giant robots in this game using every button in your PS2 controller, it takes a bit to get used to but its extremely satisfying to play.

Natsuiro_High_School.png

Natsuiro High School for the PS3/PS4 is a game with an approach similar to that of Shenmue, focusing on a day to day's student life with a very unique mechanic that involves underwear and photo cameras ::rofl
This game is sadly unavailable outside of Japan but getting a hold of it these days via other means should be relatively effortless, it's quite reminiscent of Akiba's Trip except it's a laid back experience.

PA.05407.002.jpg

Tetsujin 28-Go is based on the eponymous manga series, set during post-war Japan it offers a slightly different approach to Japan as a setting than the one you would

co3c30.jpg

Gokinjo Boukentai is a cute little JRPG set in urban Japan reminiscent of MOTHER, if I am not mistaken it recently got a fan translation. I haven't played much of it nor have I touched this in several years but it definitely "felt" like Japan so to speak and it had really cute visuals.

Last edited:

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

No members online now.