Downloading PS2 ISOs and burning them onto discs?

The Almighty Hamster

New Challenger
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I enjoy collecting PS2 games, but have been wanting to try and download ISOs and burn them onto discs to see if they would work. Complete newbie to this, I haven't got a modded PlayStation 2 as I am not all too tech-savvy. Only ever downloaded ROMs and used easy emulators. There are a lot of games I used to own but the discs are either damaged or the market for them is super expensive these days. Is it worth the hassle burning the ISOs onto discs or is it better just emulating or buying the physical copy? Seriously, I was a carboot sale today and it was £15 for TMNT. I get that's cheap considering the price of some games (cough Rule of Rose cough) but come on man. Everything costs a fortune nowadays and I'm being priced out of vidya by other collector nerds inflating the price. Decided to settle with one and got R Type Final for £6. If companies are only going to re-release crappy overpriced "remasters" on newer consoles or leave their IP's to die then no wonder so many people prefer digital over physical. The prices these days are nuts. I figured since DVD discs are only like £6 for x16 each off eBay, I could save an absolute fortune just by doing this.

Last edited:
Sadly Discs are not a good media for long term storage (search "disc rot"). Specially when the original discs are already 20 years old.
Burning isn't really recommended imo.
I think the best you can do if you want "Original Hardware" is to mod it with an ODE (Optical Disc Emulator), that does everything the CDs and CD Reader did but from a Flash Memory Stick, this greatly improves read/write speeds, there's no noise, and you can easily transfer tons of games into it.

Beware there's "purists" who would condemn ODEs and not even consider it "The Original Experience".

If you don't mod your PS2 you are out of luck. Either get a softmod such as freemcboot in your memory card or install a modchip into the console. With the modchip, the ps2 will read burned games but i recommend looking up how to use OPL, which let's you run games from the HDD if you have a fat ps2 or an ethernet if you have the slim.

Sadly Discs are not a good media for long term storage (search "disc rot"). Specially when the original discs are already 20 years old.
Burning isn't really recommended imo.
I think the best you can do if you want "Original Hardware" is to mod it with an ODE (Optical Disc Emulator), that does everything the CDs and CD Reader did but from a Flash Memory Stick, this greatly improves read/write speeds, there's no noise, and you can easily transfer tons of games into it.

Beware there's "purists" who would condemn ODEs and not even consider it "The Original Experience".
Disc rot doesn't bother me as it's not a long-term option. It's just so I can play them again without spending an absolute fortune on inflated price listings off eBay. The original physical copies aren't viable for low-income folk. I bought older-generation games specifically because it was cheaper. You could get a decent stack of like ten to fifteen games for maybe thirty quid and that would be a whole year's worth of entertainment. Is there any noticeable difference playing the ISO of an emulator? I have a CRTV and a fat PS2.
If you don't mod your PS2 you are out of luck. Either get a softmod such as freemcboot in your memory card or install a modchip into the console. With the modchip, the ps2 will read burned games but i recommend looking up how to use OPL, which let's you run games from the HDD if you have a fat ps2 or an ethernet if you have the slim.
Does it cost much or require any technical skill to mod a PS2? I had a look on eBay and the FreeMcBoot thing is £13. I wouldn't mind playing from a HDD but I still prefer having the disc to physically store. All two of my braincells are working overtime to understand this. :P

i use to disk burn my PS2 games but i stopped sadly cause of my burner dying i have a different burner but it takes 2 usb slots to power it up. so it's not worth my time... also you have to patch you PS2 games with a program for them to run with free mc boot it's been so long since i done this.

i use to disk burn my PS2 games but i stopped sadly cause of my burner dying i have a different burner but it takes 2 usb slots to power it up. so it's not worth my time... also you have to patch you PS2 games with a program for them to run with free mc boot it's been so long since i done this.
Honestly, the ISO-burning process feels needlessly more complicated and pointless than just downloading an emulator with some ROMs and booting it up. I just want to play Bomberman Kart and Timesplitters without paying a damn fortune. ;_;

Also, what in God's name is that avatar??

Last edited:
it's Aigis from Persona 3 has a toaster. also i'm not a big PC gamer i like my systems better and with current gen stuff not being cross play for some games (looks at marvel vs capcom collection for steam/ps4/switch) i bought it for steam since my friends play on it. but not on the PS4. i may buy it on the PS4 once it goes on sale for 20-30 dollars which will never happen for a while.

it's Aigis from Persona 3 has a toaster. also i'm not a big PC gamer i like my systems better and with current gen stuff not being cross play for some games (looks at marvel vs capcom collection for steam/ps4/switch) i bought it for steam since my friends play on it. but not on the PS4. i may buy it on the PS4 once it goes on sale for 20-30 dollars which will never happen for a while.
P3 damn, it's been a while since I played that. I very vaguely remember it. I got around 30 hours into Persona 5 and then gave up but it's still one of my all-time favourites. Idk if it's ADHD or if the modern Internet has crushed my attention span as a zoomer but I cannot sit for longer than an hour anymore.

I hate newer generation consoles. Too much variety and choice at your disposal which makes it near impossible to stick with and choose one game. Digital has it's place, but I hate it. Also, a lot of games (especially 8-bit and 32-bit games) look much, much better on the original hardware and CRT. Physical copies give you that limitation but also a sense of ownership over the game.

@The Almighty Hamster
If money is an issue I would just burn the ISOs to CDs, but the PS2 need to be moded as @Inkingsama said.
Not hard! This will clear things up:

To piggyback off this:
I play my PS2 using the OPL app over ethernet.
You can use a Raspberry Pi and a usb stick or HDD.
Cheaper than the disc emulator.
FreeMcBoot and OPL are amazing!

@The Almighty Hamster
If money is an issue I would just burn the ISOs to CDs, but the PS2 need to be moded as @Inkingsama said.
Not hard! This will clear things up:
To piggyback off this:
I play my PS2 using the OPL app over ethernet.
You can use a Raspberry Pi and a usb stick or HDD.
Cheaper than the disc emulator.
FreeMcBoot and OPL are amazing!

Thank you! I'm going to try this once the October holidays come along.

@The Almighty Hamster
If money is an issue I would just burn the ISOs to CDs.
Also, just for clarification, do you mean CDs specifically? Is there much of a difference between them and DVDs? I want to download them off the CDRomance site, burn them onto the discs and play them but not too sure on the technical or hardware side of it.

there are about 5-10% games that are CD based. you would have to do something to them to make them play on dvd's. also % are all DVD's.

Back in like 2018 I used to buy like 10/15 blank CDs with my stepfather and then I would spend days just downloading PS2 ISOs on my crappy laptop (which came with a disk drive) and I would just burn a ton of games in that using some software that I don't even remember the name of.

Yes, that was back in twenty eighteen, pirated PS2 games are still very much accessible here, you can go buy something to eat in the local farmer's market and get like Shadow of the Colossus for 2 bucks.

That being said, emulation is far more convenient, you would probably have to mod your PS2 to accept unofficial disks, and then comes the issue of organizing all of your disks and labeling everything (i used to have tons and tons of disks laying around), but it's immersive, and it was fun for me back in the day, it really depends on how much you're willing to go through just to play a game.

Funnily enough I've returned to burning discs since I got a PS1 and Saturn recently and I'm not a fan of the ODE solutions for either one. What a pain in the ass it was going through the trial and error of finding a good CD/DVD drive (modern ones suck) and good optical media (modern CD-Rs suck) that wouldn't result in bad burns.

At least with the PS2 the chances of having a bum disc with DVD-Rs is way lower, but I will still vouch for going the free mcboot/OPL route as it's convenient with slightly faster loading and less wear on the laser. The only exception I will say is if you get into musou games like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and want to play Xtreme Legends expansions with the base game data loaded. You'll have to burn DVDs for those as the disc swap is not possible on OPL at the moment.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

No members online now.