Reaction score
BOOM.jpg
Power Pete.jpg
Bub and Bob.jpg
Pac The Man.jpg
Ms MacPerson.jpg
Monkey Shines.jpg
Munchies.jpg

Brother, I know all about playing shit old games on underpowered Macintosh computers.

Growing up, I only had a scant few games for my ol' PowerMac (inherited from my father, with zero ability to connect to the Internet), but I played each of them endlessly, and they've all burned straight into my neural circuitry. THEY WERE:
86457.jpg
• The English port of May Club, which I fully documented here. (In those posts, I forgot to mention that later versions of the PowerMac could play some DOS games intended for Windows, which is how I was able to run this thing in the first place.) I had this game in my possession from age 3 or 4 – I still have zero idea how my dad would have got hold of it – and played through the Keiko storyline roughly seven trillion times. Funnily, I don't really recall ever caring about any of the other girls, so they can all F off!!!

• This Pokemon CD-ROM featuring Psyduck, which I owned
2445036553_L.jpg
long, long before I knew what Pokemon was. It contained just a single slide puzzle that formed a screencap of Psyduck from the first season of the anime series, while an instrumental version of the Pokerap played in the background. When you completed the puzzle, you could print the image, so I did, and had a grainy, black-and-white image of Psyduck in my bedroom's desk for roughly 15 years. The CD-ROM itself looked exactly like it did to the right – that shape was the most entertaining thing about the entire package.

218BB4179BD0D807963079CE6B5A012B13936C7D
• Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head to Your Feet
. Hoo boy, is that boxart ever a time warp! This is a great little adventure game from Humungous Entertainment (Putt-Putt, Sly Fox) that centres around our intrepid hero going into a world of food. The puzzle where you have to give an anthropomorphic egg shell a certain combination of french fries and sauce was extremely good, and, unbelievably, I once beat this game with all twenty box tops, permanently cementing my status as #MLG. I miss ol' Pajama Sam – people don't remember him as much as they do Humungous's other characters. Perhaps he'll get a reboot, one day. :)

• An unmarked CD-ROM containing three emulated Nintendo games: Super Mario Bros (NES), Donkey Kong Country (SNES), and Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB). This belonged to a second cousin of mine, and I'd play it with him whenever my parents visited his family's house. (Which was often, in those days.) When he went to college, he gave me this, and it was probably my favourite thing I had for my Mac. In retrospect, I'm shocked at how well these games ran – I certainly can't remember any slowdown, and I dread to think what emulators were being used. The PowerMac had zero support for any controllers, and I wouldn't have had one, anyways, so I played all games with a keyboard. Out of the three games, I preferred SMB most, but DKC1 and DKL2 have become ultra-nostalgic in their own way.

ss_d15b1114bb7b437f426cf059d3bd60cc90408359.1920x1080.jpg
• Much, much later, an original Mac copy of Marathon, left to me by another cousin who brought it over one summer. He had intended to play it on my computer, but didn't have the time, and just left it for me when his family went back to their home in Delaware. I played it once or twice, but Marathon 1 runs the actual gameplay in a microscopic sub-window (see image), so I didn't like it and just left the disc to sit. I rediscovered Marathon in college through the excellent Aleph One remake, and loved it ever since.

ALSO, CRITICAL INFORMATION: I just realized that Pajama Sam was clearly voiced by Pamela Adlon, who also voiced Spinelli on Disney's Recess and Bobby from King of the Hill. If they ever made a crossover adventure game starring those three characters, why – I'd be quite happy about it.

Last edited:
Brother, I know all about playing shit old games on underpowered Macintosh computers.

Growing up, I only had a scant few games for my ol' PowerMac (inherited from my father, with zero ability to connect to the Internet), but I played each of them endlessly, and they've all burned straight into my neural circuitry. THEY WERE:
86457.jpg
• The English port of May Club, which I fully documented here. (In those posts, I forgot to mention that later versions of the PowerMac could play some DOS games intended for Windows, which is how I was able to run this thing in the first place.) I had this game in my possession from age 3 or 4 – I still have zero idea how my dad would have got hold of it – and played through the Keiko storyline roughly seven trillion times. Funnily, I don't really recall ever caring about any of the other girls, so they can all F off!!!

• This Pokemon CD-ROM featuring Psyduck, which I owned long, long before I knew what
Psyduck_Pok%C3%A9ROM_disc.png
Pokemon was. It contained just a single slide puzzle that formed a screencap of Psyduck from the first season of the anime series, while an instrumental version of the Pokerap played in the background. When you completed the puzzle, you could print the image, so I did, and had a grainy, black-and-white image of Psyduck in my bedroom's desk for roughly 15 years. The CD-ROM itself looked exactly like it did to the right – that shape was the most entertaining thing about the entire package.

218BB4179BD0D807963079CE6B5A012B13936C7D
• Pajama Sam 3: You Are What You Eat From Your Head to Your Feet
. Hoo boy, is that boxart ever a time warp! This is a great little adventure game from Humungous Entertainment (Putt-Putt, Sly Fox) that centres around our intrepid hero going into a world of food. The puzzle where you have to give an anthropomorphic egg shell a certain combination of french fries and sauce was extremely good, and, unbelievably, I once beat this game with all twenty box tops, permanently cementing my status as #MLG. I miss ol' Pajama Sam – people don't remember him as much as they do Humungous's other characters. Perhaps he'll get a reboot, one day. :)

• An unmarked CD-ROM containing three emulated Nintendo games: Super Mario Bros (NES), Donkey Kong Country (SNES), and Donkey Kong Land 2 (GB). This belonged to a second cousin of mine, and I'd play it with him whenever my parents visited his family's house. (Which was often, in those days.) When he went to college, he gave me this, and it was probably my favourite thing I had for my Mac. In retrospect, I'm shocked at how well these games ran – I certainly can't remember any slowdown, and I dread to think what emulators were being used. The PowerMac had zero support for any controllers, and I wouldn't have had one, anyways, so I played all games with a keyboard. Out of the three games, I preferred SMB most, but DKC1 and DKL2 have become ultra-nostalgic in their own way.

ss_d15b1114bb7b437f426cf059d3bd60cc90408359.1920x1080.jpg
• Much, much later, an original Mac copy of Marathon, left to me by another cousin who brought it over one summer. He had intended to play it on my computer, but didn't have the time, and just left it for me when his family went back to their home in Delaware. I played it once or twice, but Marathon 1 runs the actual gameplay in a microscopic sub-window (see image), so I didn't like it and just left the disc to sit. I rediscovered Marathon in college through the excellent Aleph One remake, and loved it ever since.

ALSO, CRITICAL INFORMATION: I just realized that Pajama Sam was clearly voiced by Pamela Adlon, who also voiced Spinelli on Disney's Recess and Bobby from King of the Hill. If they ever made a crossover adventure game starring those three characters, why – I'd be quite happy about it.
I got Marathon too! :) I miss that HUD.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Anyone here play deadlock?

I really want to find a group of people to play this MOBA with, if you want an invite too...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back