Project Finished Best of Fighting Game Ports - PlayStation

Kannibal

Novice Adventurer
Writers Guild
Reaction score
This is basically finished but I feel like it needs refinement and I am too fatigued to see where. I planned to include all the consoles I want to make a list for but it would take too long and I'd risk reaching the article text limit. I wish we had a counter to see how much space we've used. In case the formatting looks strange, I promise it will fix itself in the article editor.

Intro​

Right off the bat, how many of us really cared which version of an arcade game we played unless we were involved in a console war? Exactly, not too many. If you encountered people who played regularly at arcades or were one of them, you probably knew about the differences. Whether we noticed or not, console ports of many arcade games have come a long way.

6Y5R4aF.png

The fighting game genre is possibly the definitive benchmark for the quality of a game itself or how well the port was translated to console from the original arcade version. While SHMUPs and beat 'em ups are also great genres, the intricacy of a fighting game revolves around player versus player gameplay, which exposes much of the underlying mechanics and polish of the game. Early on, when consoles were much less advanced, porting a game from arcade to console often required many compromises, such as reducing frames of animation, adjusting audio to fit within the soundchip's specs, and often having to completely demake the game while attempting to preserve as much of the original game logic as possible. As console hardware became more advanced, porting a game became slightly more straightforward, primarily focusing on adapting the original game code for the hardware, with little to no optimization required. Nowadays, re-releasing almost any classic game has become as trivial as shipping it with an emulator.

In this article, I will highlight some of my favorite ports of fighting games to console. Some of these will seem like obvious choices, while others may surprise you. The prerequisites are that the game originated on arcade, was not developed specifically for consoles, and that it's not an emulated version of a game.

Sony PlayStation​

V50dcIF.png
Released on December 3, 1994 (Japan) and September 13, 1995 (North America), the PlayStation was one of the first consoles to use CD-ROM as its primary format. This format allowed for larger games and multimedia content compared to cartridge-based systems. With its 3D graphics capabilities, the PlayStation delivered gameplay experiences that were previously impossible. Most impressive were the arcade platforms developed based on the PlayStation hardware, such as the Capcom Sony ZN-2, Namco System 12, and Taito G-NET System. These platforms provided far better rendering and 3D graphics than the base PlayStation hardware.

Now, before we get started, let's address a few things to avoid redundancies. The obvious compromises made for most PlayStation arcade ports were in the graphics, particularly for 3D games. It was very rare for a port to receive any actual graphical enhancements or to fully preserve the original graphics. Loading screens also plagued most ports, although games developed specifically for the PlayStation were optimized to minimize the number of loading screens the player encountered. Other than that, you'd be able to transfer the majority of your skills from PlayStation back to the arcade.

wCVgXwZ.png

Game Name: Street Fighter EX Plus α
Developer: Arika
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: July 17, 1997

As the first 3D Street Fighter game, Street Fighter EX presented many opportunities for experimentation with the Street Fighter formula. It featured Guard Breaks, which are unblockable attacks that leave your opponent in a stunned state. Super Cancel allowed you to easily cancel from a super into a special, and vice versa. The cast of characters is a mix of Arika's original characters and Capcom's iconic ones. Despite the Arika cast standing out with unorthodox movesets, at least compared to what most Street Fighter players were used to, they were designed around the core mechanics of Street Fighter EX and are great for learning the game. Street Fighter characters were properly adapted to the new experimental gameplay, offering a familiar way for veterans to give the game a try. What distinguishes Street Fighter EX from the second game is that it is the more technical of the two, as many moves require recca-style inputs. Street Fighter EX Plus α is the definitive version of this entry, featuring exclusive content such as additional characters, an arranged soundtrack, and more.

JZCwYgA.png

Game Name: Rival Schools: United by Fate
Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: July 30, 1998

Often regarded as one of the greatest fighting games released by Capcom, Rival Schools is a fantastic casual, fast-paced fighter. The core mechanics feature modest ground and aerial combos, offering an exciting spectacle for both players and spectators. This is one of the few console ports that included a significant amount of extra content spread across two discs. The Arcade disc offers the standard arcade experience, along with several modes you'd expect from a console port. The Evolution disc, however, is where the additional content shines, featuring new characters, mini-games, and in the Japanese release, a dating sim with a customizable character. An update for the Japanese version was released, expanding the dating sim content and adding more characters.

6Y4bLXB.png

Game Name: Street Fighter EX2 Plus
Developer: Arika
Publisher: Capcom
Release Date: December 24, 1999

A sequel to Street Fighter EX, EX2 steps away from the technical movesets and moves forward by reintroducing the classic Street Fighter-style gameplay which feels significantly different. A new feature in EX2 is Excel Combos, which remove the recovery frame after hitting an opponent, allowing you to link moves into potentially ridiculous combos. While many characters from EX Plus α return, along with new classic and original characters, EX2 omits Allen, Blair, and Sakura. The PlayStation port features one new secret character, as well as console-exclusive game modes.

81ClW1w.png
Game Name: Tekken 3
Developer/Publisher: Namco
Release Date: March 26, 1998

Probably the most popular fighting game on the PlayStation, Tekken 3 is where the series truly hit its stride with the mainstream market. Despite Tekken and Tekken 2 being arcade-perfect ports, the graphics and movesets still lacked the signature excitement we now associate with Tekken, but they served as essential stepping stones for establishing the leading 3D fighting game franchise. With Tekken 3, the animations and movelists felt perfected, and the hit effects enhanced the impact of each strike. The music was also one of the standout features and has since become a signature element of the series. In the PlayStation console port, we are introduced to Gon, a guest character popular in Japan, and Dr. Bosconovitch as a playable character. Tekken Force is a beat 'em up mini-game where you play as one of the characters from the roster and fight through waves of enemies, similar to games like Streets of Rage or Final Fight. Tekken Ball mode has two players trade a ball back and forth until someone hits their opponent with it.

Honorable Mentions aka Games you should still have on hand:
  • Capcom vs SNK Pro: While the Dreamcast port is superior, the PlayStation port is still acceptable, as the main issue is the loading screens between rounds.
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3: Another game that might be better enjoyed on another console, the PlayStation port is available in English, making World Tour mode more accessible and enjoyable.
  • Marvel vs Capcom: The PlayStation port is unique in that it changes the way tag assists work, a feature we would later see in Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Outro​

These are my personal picks that I believe were the best of arcade ports for the PlayStation. Of course, I will have missed someone's favorite, but we all know the PlayStation is home a dozens of arcade ports from all genres.

Last edited:
Looks like a good article man, I'm always glad to see someone talk about the Street Fighter EX series.

PSP had the best port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 imo.
Oh yeah, Alpha 3 MAX was what it was called here in the West and Double Upper in Japan. It added the GBA exclusive characters and added Ingrid (I don't understand how this character is as controversial as she is) so it has every character, and I find for whatever reason it plays a little nicer than most of the other home versions. The PlayStation version I think is the best after that due to what Kannibal said in the article about the English World Tour.

PSP had the best port of Street Fighter Alpha 3 imo.
Oh yeah, Alpha 3 MAX was what it was called here in the West and Double Upper in Japan. It added the GBA exclusive characters and added Ingrid (I don't understand how this character is as controversial as she is) so it has every character, and I find for whatever reason it plays a little nicer than most of the other home versions. The PlayStation version I think is the best after that due to what Kannibal said in the article about the English World Tour.
Alpha 3 MAX is the superior iteration of Alpha 3, but sadly it's only available on a portable device. Focusing only on traditional consoles and which one has more content, I prioritize Alpha 3 on Dreamcast. Between the Saturn and PlayStation ports, I guess if you only care about the gameplay then the Saturn version is better, but the english version is only on PlayStation for people who want to enjoy World Tour mode. I should add that for context lol.

@Kannibal did you sort the formatting issues you were having with it? Looks alright to me.

Connect with us

Latest Threads

THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS (UNDENIABLE)

What is the best soundtrack of all time? While I'm not well-versed in music theory, here is a...
Read more

Your Fanarts

Well, recently i went nuts researching about the world of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to...
Read more

Hi

Checking out the forums, what's up
Read more

HELLO :D

o/

im new here :D
uhhh diggin the new forum'
i used to hang out on the isozones forums all...
Read more

MegaDrive RPG Favorites

I know that SNES is known for having the lion's share of classic RPG titles, but I think the MD...
Read more

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back