Controllers Arcade Sticks and Enclosure Showcase

Intro​

Consumer arcade sticks have come in many designs with a variety of functions. From original console manufacturers to third-party companies, arcade sticks have ranged from questionable quality to simply functional builds. Early on, bringing the full arcade experience home was hindered by the lack of the tangible experience that a basic controller could not satisfy. A few companies like Nintendo, ASCII, and Hori were among the early names attempting to bring a proper arcade panel to a consumer product. The parts were nowhere near the quality of those found in arcades, but at least it was a start. Even then, we weren’t safe from first-party arcade sticks that were often awkward. Third-party arcade sticks with strange layouts were also common, possibly targeting specific games or genres.

As the gaming industry evolved and technology advanced, people could finally turn to DIY solutions for an authentic arcade experience using high-quality arcade parts. The DIY arcade stick scene has rapidly grown into its own movement, coexisting alongside mass-produced retail arcade sticks. In this showcase, I will cover enclosure designs that look really cool, along with examples of functional or interesting retail arcade sticks.

Fightstick Asia​

MrqWA32.gif

Excellence Arcade Stick: Model T
The Model-T is a reproduction of the Mad Catz Tournament Edition stick, sold by Paradise Arcade Shop. It features metal top and bottom panels, which were previously offered in plastic. While I never really liked the Noir/Viewlix layout, I appreciate the functional shape of the enclosure. It includes 8 function buttons on top and four auxiliary buttons on the front. It also has a wire compartment where you can stuff the cord when not in use.

xmHRCHM.gif

Excellence Arcade Case Herculis

What makes the Herculis model stand out from the Model-T is that the enclosure is constructed entirely of metal, and the top panel can be opened for easy access to the internals. It also includes a small panel with interior holes, though there isn’t enough information available about their exact purpose. My assumption is that these holes are meant for a Neutrik passthrough and cherry rocker switches.

You should also know that the Model-T and Herculis enclosures are available from alternative stores at different prices. These were originally from Fightstick Asia, which used to be Qanba's distributor. Now, they seem to be defunct, but it seems that either the enclosures are still in production, or there is simply enough stock remaining to keep them available.

Take a look at the other variations of the Fightstick Asia collection available at Paradise Arcade Shop.

Jasen's Customs​

fttFXE0.gif

Panzer Fight Stick 4

The Panzer Fight Stick 4 comes from the legendary lineup of heavy-duty enclosures by Jasen's Customs. The timeless design is accompanied by a very durable body. Previous Panzer Fight Sticks featured auxiliary buttons on the front, but they are now implemented on the top face in the upper left corner. For those with particular preferences for button layouts, you can choose from a variety of faceplates, including the Sega Player 2 layout (featured in the picture above), Namco Noir, Taito Viewlix, and several leverless options. Other options available on the site include custom colors for the chassis, auxiliary buttons, bezel, and aluminum I/O. You can also pick and choose the buttons, lever, and PCB, allowing you to have your stick fully built (with the Build-Out service) or have all parts arrive together.

If you're pressed for time, Jasen's Customs also offers assembled Panzer Fight Sticks.
Assembled Panzers

*uses affiliate link

Sega Dreamcast​

H4Q7UBn.gif

Agetec HKT-7300

The HKT-7300 by Agetec is the official Sega Dreamcast arcade stick. Some like to refer to it as the "Green Goblin". It features microswitch buttons and was modeled after Japanese arcade cabinets. As you can see, the button layout appears to be based on the Sega Player 2 panel. Another feature is the VMU port, which is required if you want to save high scores or unlockable content. If you plan to buy this arcade stick with the intention of swapping out the stock parts for arcade-grade components, the panel does not easily accommodate drop-in parts. For those interested in customization, Jonathan from Scanline City demonstrates the necessary modifications for installing arcade-grade parts. Additionally, FocusAttack sells compatible parts such as wiring harnesses and plexiglass panels for custom artwork.

Nintendo Entertainment System​

WZ4N9Kp.gif

Asciiware NES Advantage

The NES Advantage, manufactured by Asciiware, is one of the more functional arcade sticks available to the consumer market at that time. It features two function buttons, a pair of turbo switches and turbo knobs, and a pseudo-slow button, which is actually just a turbo switch for the start button. For games where player 1 and player 2 alternate turns, you can connect the NES Advantage to both ports and toggle the switch to control each player. While other alternatives existed around the same time, this one easily stands above many others.

r0cDwDm.gif

ASCII Arcade Stick

ASCII was at the forefront of the peripheral niche throughout the 80s, 90s, and some of the 2000s. Their name could be found on alternative controller designs and simulation levers. The ASCII Arcade Stick is a beautifully designed arcade stick for the Famicom, with buttons that closely resemble Seimitsu's arcade parts. Its simple, no-frills layout, unlike other retail arcade sticks that featured additional functions such as turbo, is justified by its premium build quality.

SNK Neo Geo​

3BOoW7n.gif

Neo Geo Arcade Stick

This is the official pack-in arcade stick that shipped with the Neo Geo AES, the only console that did not include control pads until the Neo Geo CD. It is praised as one of the best arcade sticks available for its time. The lever uses microswitches, while the buttons are membrane. A re-issue was released under the NEOGEO X branding, but according to online reviews, the NEOGEO X Arcade Stick fell short compared to the original. There is a guide available for converting the Neo Geo Arcade Stick into a proper arcade stick with arcade-grade parts.

This is a modern take on the Neo Geo lineup of arcade sticks, featuring a Neo Geo CD-inspired design. It comes with built-in games and also serves as a PC controller, both of which can be accessed via a switch. It is compatible with the Neo Geo Mini in joystick mode and can also function as the base for a Neo Geo Mini controller while in console mode. The quality of the parts is serviceable, but enthusiasts will be pleased to know that swapping in Sanwa parts is easy. Several video guides are available on how to replace the parts.

M.A.S.​

1728161091189.png

M.A.S. Classic

1728161126312.png

M.A.S. NEO

M.A.S. is a legendary brand and a pioneer in the DIY arcade stick community, headed by Thao Nguyen and Reynalda Lynn Nguyen. Their design is modeled after the durable arcade cabinet furniture often found on North American Street Fighter II cabinets, utilizing Suzo HAPP parts. Despite their build quality and popularity in the local FGC scene, they eventually fell out of favor in comparison to Japanese-style arcade sticks. Scanline City has revived the legendary M.A.S. Classic, preserving its legacy while introducing a modern counterpart known as the M.A.S. NEO.

The M.A.S. NEO is unique in that it accommodates both American-style and Japanese-style parts within the same enclosure without modification. Another notable feature is the ability to choose your own button layout, such as the Sega Player 2 or the classic Street Fighter II straight 6-button layout. While there doesn’t appear to be an option for leverless layouts, M.A.S. has always been primarily known for catering to stick players.

Check out Jonathan's website for M.A.S. products, as well as other offerings such as PCB cases and build-out services.

1728171790495.png

Sega Genesis​

1728176009536.png

Arcade Power Stick 6B

1728175998495.png

6 Button Arcade Stick

Sega was at the top of their game when the Arcade Power Stick 6B was released. There’s no question you’d be acquiring a high-quality product. The joystick and buttons featured microswitches, ensuring precise inputs. However, the North American counterpart, the 6 Button Arcade Stick, suffered from cost-cutting measures and was shipped with membrane parts similar to those found on game pads. These membrane parts proved unsustainable in the long run, leaving customers with mushy inputs. The primary benefit of this arcade stick was its compatibility with both 3-button and 6-button games, thanks to a switch that toggled between the modes. Another feature it offered was adjustable turbo switches for each button, providing an edge in SHMUPs or other games that required heavy mashing. Regardless of which version you’re able to get, it’s still leagues better than other offerings.

AllFightSticks​

1728176498679.png

All Fight Sticks 16" Body​

All Fight Sticks is a heavy-duty arcade stick enclosure manufacturer known for producing high-quality enclosures for the DIY community. What makes AFS stand out is that you're not just buying an enclosure, you’re involved in the process of personalizing your stick. You begin by selecting the width of the case, choosing from 12", 14", 16", and 18". Then, you select the panel with your desired button layout, along with a variety of other options, essentially building your ideal arcade stick. I've been very happy with my AFS arcade stick, especially because the AFS staff is highly communicative, despite handling many orders. If there's a detail you want to change or add to your order, they’re more than willing to accommodate, as long as the request isn’t made at the last minute.

Visit AFS - Aaron's website and explore the variety of options they offer.

1728176659566.png

Eternal Rival​

1728176862533.png

Eternal Rival - Mid Tier

1728176881664.png

Eternal Rival - S Rank

1728176902268.png

Eternal Rival - Envy Plus

Eternal Rival is a great budget-friendly enclosure manufacturer. Even the most premium enclosures don’t break the bank, while still ensuring a quality product across all price points. The acrylic enclosures offer a variety of styles, including traditional joystick enclosures, leverless, and hybrid layouts. Each tier of enclosures provides unique auxiliary button placements specific to that tier. The enclosure configurator helps ensure you’re selecting the parts that meet your needs, including weight plates, custom panel layouts, and more.

Check out his website for additional information.

1728176977359.png

X-Gaming​

1728177065248.png

X-Arcade Dual Joystick

X-Arcade caters to casual PC gamers and emulator enthusiasts with its line of arcade sticks. While the enclosure is sturdy, the parts are generic replacements for higher-end components. These generic parts can be upgraded with genuine Suzo HAPP or iL (Industrias Lorenzo) parts, but this requires physically modifying the enclosure. One drawback for PC fighting game enthusiasts is the use of the Hotrod keyboard encoder, which can cause compatibility issues with certain titles. Fortunately, this can be resolved by installing a more compatible encoder or using a console adapter offered by X-Arcade, followed by a console-to-USB adapter. For those seeking a budget-friendly option that delivers a classic American arcade feel, the X-Arcade remains a viable choice, especially for emulator use.

1728177814548.png

Qanba​

1728177469669.png

Qanba N1

The Qanba N1 is a simple and appealing budget stick compatible with PC and PS3. It doesn’t come with arcade-grade parts, but that’s what makes it a great beginner choice. Once the generic parts wear out and you decide that arcade sticks are for you, you can either upgrade the parts or seek out a stick with more features. The Qanba Drone, a modern Qanba budget stick, takes after the N1 enclosure style.

1728178003298.png

Qanba Q4RAF

The Qanba Q4RAF was a great stick during the peak of the PS3 and Xbox 360 era of fighting games. It featured a simple and elegant design that Qanba managed to execute well. What made it especially appealing was its compatibility with PS3, PC, and Xbox 360, possibly making it the first retail arcade stick to offer that for that generation of consoles. This model came in various colors, with options for either a transparent or solid enclosure. Some variations even came equipped with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts.

1728178235635.png

Qanba Carbon

The Qanba Carbon features a simple design with a sleek overall appeal. It is actually based on the Q1 design. What makes the Carbon unique, aside from being budget-friendly, is the inclusion of table clamps, allowing you to attach the stick to your table without taking up additional space. This model is compatible with PC and PS3.

1728178633255.png

Qanba 2009 Arcade

Despite its potentially misleading name, the Qanba 2009 Arcade is a recent product aimed at both e-sports centers and recreational rooms. It is shaped like a table, offering adaptability for PC and console gaming setups. The built-in controls are compatible with PC and other modern platforms, enabling a wide range of arcade experiences. A standout feature is its KVM-like function, allowing you to connect up to four devices and switch control between them. The table-like design is ideal for tournaments and e-sports centers, enabling clusters of Qanba 2009 Arcades to be arranged like head-to-head setups.

If you're concerned about the build quality of this seemingly "too-good-to-be-true" setup, rest assured that the sheet metal construction provides ample support for the weight placed on it. Another advantage for amusement operators is that the control panel pops open easily, making maintenance straightforward. The 2009 Arcade is compatible with almost all modern encoders, so if you have a preference for PCBs, you're covered. As for the included parts, they are Qanba's own brand, but if they aren't to your liking, you can easily swap them out for Sanwa or Seimitsu parts.

For additional Qanba products, check out their website.

1728178809361.png

RecRoomMasters​

1728178986109.png

Xtension 2 Player “Emulator Edition”

1728179002552.png

Xtension 4 Player “Emulator Edition”

IiHQVlB.png

32″ Xtension 2 Player Arcade Machine “Emulator Edition PLUS”

RecRoomMasters targets mancaves and break rooms. There’s no doubt about the build quality of their arcade sticks and arcade cabinets. What sets them apart is that their arcade sticks come equipped with Cherry/ZF microswitches and an iL (Industrias Lorenzo) joystick, giving them an edge over competitors. Another standout feature is their encoder, which can switch between Keyboard, DirectInput, and XInput, making it compatible with any PC game and emulator.

They previously offered a sit-down "Pro" edition that came with Sanwa parts and a PCB with auto-detection for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 compatibility, but this model appears to have been discontinued. For those who own an X-Arcade Tankstick or similar, they offer a cabinet that allows for an easy drop-in installation. Overall, their American-style setup is a strong offering in a market largely dominated by Japanese-style arcade sticks.

They have other products such as empty cabinets allowing you to choose your own parts.

Hori​

PphUaiH.gif

Namco Arcade Stick

Qiw6nNH.gif

Hori Fighting Stick

CWPTmmL.gif

Hori Mini Arcade Stick

5rg5wJE.png

Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 & Real Arcade Pro 4​

Hori is a peripheral manufacturer that has released a wide range of accessories and was one of the first companies to bring Japanese-style arcade sticks to the Western market. Despite the decline in fighting game popularity in the late 2000s, the quality of their sticks remained consistent. Even their Mini Arcade Stick models, which use membrane buttons, were well-made and continue to see iterations for modern consoles today. However, during the early Real Arcade Pro line, Hori released several sticks with lower-quality parts before eventually introducing their own Hayabusa parts, which are highly regarded and comparable to the veteran Sanwa and Seimitsu components.

If you're looking for their current line-up of arcade sticks, visit their website.

Outro​

This showcase highlights just a few of the many arcade sticks and enclosures available, featuring both my personal favorites and those with unique designs or features. Hopefully, you've discovered a new contender for your arcade stick collection or rekindled memories of a past favorite. Thanks for reading!

Want to delve deeper? Here are some resources to explore a wider range of arcade sticks and enclosures.
Reddit Mega Thread
Arcade Shock Formation

Last edited:
I mod my own arcade sticks. It's a lot of fun. I also have a Picade and a modded MKII Deluxe cab from 1Up.

Hori looks damn good
Hori is a very good brand, cannot go wrong with them.

I mod my own arcade sticks. It's a lot of fun. I also have a Picade and a modded MKII Deluxe cab from 1Up.
I took a while to get my own DIY stick and have been relying on retail arcade sticks. Built my first one around 2020/21. Is Picade the compact barcade setup? that looks very cool. I did not know 1Up had released a Mortal Kombat II cab at all. Most people I know seem to have the Namco or Capcom 1up cabs.

I took a while to get my own DIY stick and have been relying on retail arcade sticks. Built my first one around 2020/21. Is Picade the compact barcade setup? that looks very cool. I did not know 1Up had released a Mortal Kombat II cab at all. Most people I know seem to have the Namco or Capcom 1up cabs.
Yeah, it's barcade setup with the retropie. I put Sanwa buttons in mine as the ones it comes with are pretty terrible and bind up a lot. For the MK cab, I put Suzo Happ buttons in it as that's what most US cabs had at the time rather than Sanwa. So, it feels like an authentic MK cab now. I also put custom stick dust covers, new bat tops, and even added a subwoofer for that arcade style bass that rattles the walls. It's pretty awesome.

Yeah, it's barcade setup with the retropie. I put Sanwa buttons in mine as the ones it comes with are pretty terrible and bind up a lot. For the MK cab, I put Suzo Happ buttons in it as that's what most US cabs had at the time rather than Sanwa. So, it feels like an authentic MK cab now. I also put custom stick dust covers, new bat tops, and even added a subwoofer for that arcade style bass that rattles the walls. It's pretty awesome.
If you ever need to replace the Suzo Happ parts, consider checking out Industrias Lorenzo. I read that iL is a splinter company of Suzo Happ, who sell the Euro Joysticks and buttons that are the same quality as the original Suzo Happ.

This a banger of a list!
I had the NES one back when.

I always liked the size and look of the X Arcade deal but yeah, everything I've ever read or heard makes it sound meh.

Always thought the AgeTech Dreamcast stick was dreamy looking! :love::love::love:

This a banger of a list!
I had the NES one back when.

I always liked the size and look of the X Arcade deal but yeah, everything I've ever read or heard makes it sound meh.

Always thought the AgeTech Dreamcast stick was dreamy looking! :love::love::love:
I've tried the NES Advantage a bunch of times, from really worn out ones, to refurbished ones, and they feel great to play on as long as the joystick can center itself again. The buttons are definitely much better if they're less worn out.

I think the X-Arcade sticks are definitely just above average, but there aren't any other budget sticks that have a durable enclosure that were made with American style sticks in mind. I will admit that at some point, the vinyl furnishing will start to peel as you play a lot on it. I would only recommend it if someone really wants to get a feel for American parts on a budget. Otherwise, if you're a serious fan, you'll want to look at RecRoomMasters' sticks, or M.A.S. I'd personally go with M.A.S. NEO since it allows more flexibility than if you have a two player panel without a stable mounting base.

I've never had a chance to use a stock Agetec Dreamcast stick since people tend to mod them with quality parts, but the enclosure itself feels decent.

Good read. I play 2D fighting games with arcade stick and it's worth it for the most part (although dashing can be annoying at times). Sometimes I think of switching to leverless but I'm comfortable for the moment. At least, more comfortable than with pad.

Good read. I play 2D fighting games with arcade stick and it's worth it for the most part (although dashing can be annoying at times). Sometimes I think of switching to leverless but I'm comfortable for the moment. At least, more comfortable than with pad.
Leverless does have several advantages when you're trying to optimize inputs. I just don't think I want to learn new muscle memory for something I've been enjoying just fine on arcade stick.

I used to own the Qanba Q4RAF waaaay back when, in the exact colour variant pictured in this article. I ended up selling it off in 2017 because it didn't get enough play at the time, but man, was it an amazing stick or what ?!?!?!

I used to own the Qanba Q4RAF waaaay back when, in the exact colour variant pictured in this article. I ended up selling it off in 2017 because it didn't get enough play at the time, but man, was it an amazing stick or what ?!?!?!
I used to borrow someone's Q4RAF in that same color to take to locals. The button layout wasn't my favorite, but the color is what made me love it. Qanba has so far been the only company to ever release such a hypnotizing color combo. Being able to hop between whatever the PS3 and 360 guys were playing was the biggest advantage the stick had.

Leverless does have several advantages when you're trying to optimize inputs. I just don't think I want to learn new muscle memory for something I've been enjoying just fine on arcade stick.
I do think that, for Tekken in particular, lever is horrible; it feels very counter intuitive and I commend those that go pro with it. Probably great for doing Electrics and JFSR, though.

Yes, I'm aware that Tekken started out as an arcade game. I still think pad or leverless fit better. I do use a Haute mixbox for Tekken 8 and it's pretty good (the keys are too close to one another for my liking and sometimes input things I don't like, however).

I do think that, for Tekken in particular, lever is horrible; it feels very counter intuitive and I commend those that go pro with it. Probably great for doing Electrics and JFSR, though.

Yes, I'm aware that Tekken started out as an arcade game. I still think pad or leverless fit better. I do use a Haute mixbox for Tekken 8 and it's pretty good (the keys are too close to one another for my liking and sometimes input things I don't like, however).
You know, Mortal Kombat also went through the same evolution. Being comfortable on the 5 dot layout is a lost art. I am still adamant about using it in modern mortal kombat despite the mechanics being sprawled across the controller button positions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveCast

Members online

Back